Suvarnabhumi Immigration pulled me from desk; questioned me about Thai language

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi with my 3rd Ed Visa in two years and they questioned me in Thai which I didn't do so well. The big boss came and took me to his desk. He wasn't too serious but asked a few more questions in Thai such as if I had wife and we joked a bit, then after few more questions and me saying mai khao jai, he stamped my Non Ed visa USED and permitted to stay 3 months.

I paid for a six month course at my school and was told I could extend after first three months. Is it normal to stamp USED upon entry? Will I still be able to extend after the three months for an additional three?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough, I was similarly questioned in rapid fire Thai when I entered last month on a Non 'O'. There was nothing unpleasant or hostile in the chap's demeanour, but I just found it odd that I would be grilled when I was not on an 'ED'. He seemed particularly interested in which province my missus came from for some reason, but seemed satisfied enough with my answers such as they were in my poor Thai and let me in without further ado.

Any ideas why, considering I have never had an 'ED' visa?

Interestingly enough, I was similarly questioned in rapid fire Thai when I entered last month on a Non 'O'. There was nothing unpleasant or hostile in the chap's demeanour, but I just found it odd that I would be grilled when I was not on an 'ED'. He seemed particularly interested in which province my missus came from for some reason, but seemed satisfied enough with my answers such as they were in my poor Thai and let me in without further ado.

A few months ago at Don Mueang a friend on a O-A visa was questioned in Thai, he requested the supervisor and the issue was resolved.

Time to learn some Thai. It's a relatively easy language.

It's actually one of the most difficult to learn for a Westerner.

Not really. I'm completely fluent in it and sound like a Thai - and I know I'm not the only one. You just need some street smarts and stop instinctively speaking Thai using your native accent or letting your native accent interfere with learning Thai. In any given country one should be able to pick up the local language and eventually become fluent over time if residing in said country for an extended period.

It also helps a lot if you are already bilingual or fluent in other languages before attempting Thai. I grew up speaking multiple languages since birth, so have a bit of a gift when it comes to language acquisition. Having said that, I don't want to brag but all I can say is Thai really isn't that difficult. I see so many westerners speaking Chinese quite well whenever I'm in China (I personally only speak intermediate conversational Chinese, including some reading and writing) so I can't understand the difficulty about learning Thai amongst westerners when Chinese is so much more difficult, mainly due to the many characters you need to learn, and also the ability to decipher the difference between it's many, many homophones (words that sound the same but have different meanings).

Thai actually doesn't have that many homophones, it's more about being able to tell the difference between words that have different meanings based on changes in pitch or tones (to a trained ear they do sound different hence why strictly speaking I wouldn't consider them to be homophones unless they have the same tone and same pronunciation). Apart from that, you have to assume that English homophones (pick any 2 words that sound the same but have different meanings) are not going to be the same in Thai. For example, to wear (an item of clothing) and wear (as in this bicycle tire/tyre shows signs of wear or deterioration).

This is one of the biggest problems I've always faced when learning new languages - making those incorrect assumptions about the transferability of homophones. In Thai to wear a piece of clothing is "sai" for example "sai seua", while wear or deterioration is "seuk" or "seuk hro". So completely different words are used - you can't say "sai" when referring to a worn bicycle tyre. It just doesn't make one bit of sense.

• Like 2

Anybody living in Thailand making minimal effort will probably learn enough Thai on the street to pass the test.

Learning to read will take a little effort but easily self taught. Reading at a 2nd grade level is probably enough.

The time required in school is trivial compared to the opportunities for non working Thai language students on the streets.

Attendance at a school should accelerate this process.

Might be a normal small talk.

Although I never experienced that in so many years. The offficers are usually mute as a fish.

Did you have a Non O based on marriage?

Then maybe the question was some kind of a test, checking whether you at least know where your wife lives.

Too many married for papers.

Might be a normal small talk.

Although I never experienced that in so many years. The offficers are usually mute as a fish.

Did you have a Non O based on marriage?

Then maybe the question was some kind of a test, checking whether you at least know where your wife lives.

Too many married for papers.

Based on marriage, correct.

Relatively to what? Icelandic?

Compared to Chinese? Or Russian? Thai has almost no grammar. No articles, no endings, no 'casus'. They have characters, similar to our alphabet. In my group of friends, most are quite fluent in Thai. We have all lived here +-10 years.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I'd still like know what happens to my visa after 3 months.

That you go to immigration with a small stack of papers from your school, Bt 1,900 cash and after a variable amount of time you return home with a 90 days extension.

Here in Phuket you get 3 month on Airport, then you go to Immigration in Phuket town before 3 mounhst whit the paper from school +1900 Bath, and then they give you 30 days, day 28 days later plus/minus you go back to Immigration and if they are happy and they check if you going school you get 3 months. Immigration they come to my class 3 time now the last 8/9 months and take picture of every student.

Relatively to what? Icelandic?

Compared to Chinese? Or Russian? Thai has almost no grammar. No articles, no endings, no 'casus'. They have characters, similar to our alphabet. In my group of friends, most are quite fluent in Thai. We have all lived here +-10 years.

What alphabet are you talking about? certainly not the English (Latin based one). I spent 6 months (about half hour a day) just trying to understand the Thai alphabet using a computer based Thai language course. At the end of 6 months I could write a few words and understand a few letters. In the end I looked at a map to see where Thai was spoken. I decided to improve my Spanish instead 5555.

• Like 2

Not really. I'm completely fluent in it and sound like a Thai - and I know I'm not the only one. You just need some street smarts and stop instinctively speaking Thai using your native accent or letting your native accent interfere with learning Thai. In any given country one should be able to pick up the local language and eventually become fluent over time if residing in said country for an extended period.

It also helps a lot if you are already bilingual or fluent in other languages before attempting Thai. I grew up speaking multiple languages since birth, so have a bit of a gift when it comes to language acquisition. Having said that, I don't want to brag but all I can say is Thai really isn't that difficult. I see so many westerners speaking Chinese quite well whenever I'm in China (I personally only speak intermediate conversational Chinese, including some reading and writing) so I can't understand the difficulty about learning Thai amongst westerners when Chinese is so much more difficult, mainly due to the many characters you need to learn, and also the ability to decipher the difference between it's many, many homophones (words that sound the same but have different meanings).

Thai actually doesn't have that many homophones, it's more about being able to tell the difference between words that have different meanings based on changes in pitch or tones (to a trained ear they do sound different hence why strictly speaking I wouldn't consider them to be homophones unless they have the same tone and same pronunciation). Apart from that, you have to assume that English homophones (pick any 2 words that sound the same but have different meanings) are not going to be the same in Thai. For example, to wear (an item of clothing) and wear (as in this bicycle tire/tyre shows signs of wear or deterioration).

This is one of the biggest problems I've always faced when learning new languages - making those incorrect assumptions about the transferability of homophones. In Thai to wear a piece of clothing is "sai" for example "sai seua", while wear or deterioration is "seuk" or "seuk hro". So completely different words are used - you can't say "sai" when referring to a worn bicycle tyre. It just doesn't make one bit of sense.

My hero! Do you like the sound of your own voice?

• Like 1

To be competely fluent and speak without an accent - probably true. To be able to say and understand just about anything it is definitely one of the easiest to learn. So I really don't have any symathy for people who have their ED visas pulled for lack of effort. If you a going to cheat on a visa, at least cheat with some style instead of mai kao jai

Not if he was on his 3rd ED visa, just working 6 months in Thailand, I was speaking OK.

If you're working in another country LEARN THE LANGUAGE.

Edited by richusa