Editing multi quote posts

Anthony5

Why is it impossible to edit multi quote post ?

For example if I want to reply to 2 posts of the same member, but both of his posts have 4 quotes in it already, I would need to edit out the excessive posts otherwise the system wont allow me to post.

As soon as I edit out a single quote everything goes pear shaped.

The system software only allows for 4 quote boxes either nested or separate quotes in any combination.

I know about that, so i need to edit out the excessive quote boxes, but as soon as I edit out just a single one all the other quotes become one single quote box, without the possibility to distinguish who posted what.

In fact it doesn't even shows the post details in the multi quote window.It just shows quote boxes without poster name or date.

I just found out a way around it, and that is to post the message with the excessive quotes. You then get an error message that you have added too many blocks of text, but at that point the post details become visible and the excessive quotes can be edited out.

Practice then by using the preview feature to test the effect of your edits. I understand what you are saying now and you have to watch what you are deleting or you will remove the quote tags. There is another way which shows the structure and that is to toggle the BBCode Mode - the button, top row far right. It will then show where the quote boxes start/end by showing the metatags for it.

The system software only allows for 4 quote boxes either nested or separate quotes in any combination.

I know about that, so i need to edit out the excessive quote boxes, but as soon as I edit out just a single one all the other quotes become one single quote box, without the possibility to distinguish who posted what.

In fact it doesn't even shows the post details in the multi quote window.It just shows quote boxes without poster name or date.

I just found out a way around it, and that is to post the message with the excessive quotes. You then get an error message that you have added too many blocks of text, but at that point the post details become visible and the excessive quotes can be edited out.

FWIW -- I am on a slow connection and I am frequently caught out if I try to reply, etc before the page I'm on has pulled in all it's scripts from the multiple sources in the cloud - all of which are working at different speeds. The joys of cloud based webpages -- they're a real pita ;)

ok click quote then choose a quote you do not want, highlight the text and delete, then highlight the poster name and delete, then click the empty quote box and delete, just repeat for the other quotes you don't require.

ok click quote then choose a quote you do not want, highlight the text and delete, then highlight the poster name and delete, then click the empty quote box and delete, just repeat for the other quotes you don't require.

I didn't realize that replying to a post supposed to be a day job.biggrin.png

Edited by Anthony5

FWIW -- I am on a slow connection and I am frequently caught out if I try to reply, etc before the page I'm on has pulled in all it's scripts from the multiple sources in the cloud - all of which are working at different speeds. The joys of cloud based webpages -- they're a real pita wink.png

OK, I just removed the quotes from post #6 above. The software also added the post as a quote so I'm left with that.

Starting with the center quote, I clicked just below and to the right of the text, and scrolled up to just beyond the username like this.

post-164212-0-08573100-1416161373_thumb.

Then I hit the delete key and got this.

post-164212-0-68238400-1416161400_thumb.

Then I did it again to the next embedded post

post-164212-0-13974900-1416161441_thumb.

and got what you see in this post.

Easy Peasy. smile.png

Edited by NeverSure

FWIW -- I am on a slow connection and I am frequently caught out if I try to reply, etc before the page I'm on has pulled in all it's scripts from the multiple sources in the cloud - all of which are working at different speeds. The joys of cloud based webpages -- they're a real pita wink.png

OK, I just removed the quotes from post #6 above. The software also added the post as a quote so I'm left with that.

Starting with the center quote, I clicked just below and to the right of the text, and scrolled up to just beyond the username like this.

attachicon.gif111y.jpg

Then I hit the delete key and got this.

attachicon.gif111ya.jpg

Then I did it again to the next embedded post

attachicon.gif111yabjpg.jpg

and got what you see in this post.

Easy Peasy. smile.png

But that is not the point of this thread.

You should multiquote post #3 and #6, then start editing out some of the excessive quotes.

You mean like this?:

Post 3:

Post 6:

Post 11:

You should multiquote post #3 and #6, then start editing out some of the excessive quotes.

When editing embedded quotes I switch to simple text mode and delete what I need to delete. But it does require some care when deleting, or you end up messing up the posts.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

A number of members have brought this up before to no avail. It would appear, at least on face value, that the number of quotes is universally limited in that there is no distinction between nested quotes and embedded quotes. Whilst I can fully understand restrictions on nested quotes the idea of such a small limit on embedded quotes goes against...

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I've given up on the front end as is after many years and now just write code. Perhaps you should do the same?

A number of members have brought this up before to no avail. It would appear, at least on face value, that the number of quotes is universally limited in that there is no distinction between nested quotes and embedded quotes. Whilst I can fully understand restrictions on nested quotes the idea of such a small limit on embedded quotes goes against...

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I've given up on the front end as is after many years and now just write code. Perhaps you should do the same?

So often the combination of crappy front end and slow connection not loading all the scripts from the cloud makes me give up trying to quote anything, but I'm not sure if deleting all the quotes and writing a reply will still trigger the notification to the poster(s) I'm replying to. Need to experiment with that......

• Like 1

This is a reply to notmyself with the original post removed, so I'd be very interested to know if the notification went out anyway..... ? smile.png

For that he would need to have notifications enabled. I think many, including myself have it disabled to ease the load on my mailbox

• Like 1

This is a reply to notmyself with the original post removed, so I'd be very interested to know if the notification went out anyway..... ? smile.png

For that he would need to have notifications enabled. I think many, including myself have it disabled to ease the load on my mailbox

Yep. I just check 'My Content' to see if any thread I have commented on has new posts.

• Like 1

True -- but I don't get many people quoting me, so I left notifications 'on'. I am obviously not interesting enough ! sad.pngcrying.gif

• Like 1

Best bet is to code it yourself though you are still restricted by a global quote limit. I use what is normal the world over with indented red text (same font, same size) when the quote comes from an external link because it makes my posts more legible. Even then it has to be done manually most of the time because of an error in the software. Unless you manually force it to stop indenting text, everything that follows is also indented leaving you no option other than to double indent and so on.

I guess you just have to flip a coin and hope that one of the two board rules which are irreconcilable just happens to fall in your favour and your post is not deleted. To be fair this does not seem to happen much these days to me, though perhaps I have just hit a lucky streak!

• Like 1

OK, and get yours in for good measure.

But why not just quote #6 and be done with it?