Three killed, 30 injured in bus-pickup crash in Ayutthaya

webfact

Its a video game, no one cares if anyone get's hurt, smiles in the front kill you on the road, it's all far in the games people play, it's insane but legal. And if you kill a family you can walk away after paying a fine. You just buy the safest car you can afford and pray you don't get killed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A chartered bus taking Bangkok Metropolitan Administration on a study trip to Chiang Mai crashed into the rear of a pickup truck in Ayutthaya's Pang Pahan district at 8 am Wednesday"

While it the accident is obviously sad news, at least the study part of the trip paid off for once. The BMA learned first hand, that there is a major problem on Thailands roads.

when busses drive in a convoy they are protected by "higher hand"

They will not stop for red lights,rail crossings,animals ,people .....they will continue their

holy trip at the highest possible speed .

Sane people know this and will never put 1 foot on a bus (nor taxi)

Even if they don't have a car ,sane people will not risk their lives.

They will look ahead and plan a safer way ,even if it means going on foot ,renting a car .....

I was not surpised reading this news after seeing the three busses in question passing me this morning driving reckless with at least 120km/h in the 4th lane at Bangpa-in/Hi-tech shortly before the accident further down their route. I think that if the police would take the trouble to pull up all camera footage from Bangpa-in to the acident some interesting footage would emerge...Already before the accident location their behaviour was inspiring several drivers to start all kinds of crazy maneuvers to still get past them. This particular road stretch from Bangpa-in to Ayutthaya is one if not the worst in Thailand if it comes to speeding busses full with factory workers and is mass murder waiting to happen.

Part of the problem is that the boys in brown who are supposed to use the cameras to observe traffic are also the ones owning directly or indirectly many bus companies...

Edited by siam1636

I've had two accidents, both on my CBR 250cc, when idiots suddenly decided to do a left turn, with no signal, while I'm in the motorbike lane, and forcing me into the ditch.

They just don't THINK.

I find the same in my Mulsanne.

I am certain they think they are playing a computer game - but with deadly consequences.

That is why im often on the fast lane with my bike going as fast as other traffic. I know i risk a fine better as risking my life. In the slow lane everyone cuts you off.

Most of the time I'm the same way. 120+ kph is my "average" speed (ok, so 145+ on open highways. lol). But in both accidents, I was doing 60kph, or less, in the motorbike lane, less than a kilometer from my moo ban in anticipation of the turn. Funny, I've been from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phitsanulok, Chum Phae, Khon Kaen, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Sari Buri, and half a dozen other places on the bike, and the only time I've had accidents is less than a kilometer from my house, doing less than the legal speed limit. lol

cut the ugly crap guys,

Many of the BMA people are very well educated, dedicated to their jobs and work long hours; They were not the bus/pickup drivers.

It's a tragic loss of some of the best people you will meet in Thailand. On average a lot better than I would estimate for the majority of posters on this subject

note estimate, you can't kick out my post for that.

It may not be the case here , but one thing generally has the hairs on the back of my neck stand up , is approaching a U-Turn on the freeway. Stationary traffic pulling out into the fast lane of the opposite carriageway, They should go

When you go into Ayutthaya from The Freeway the roads are not great

Did you comprehend the story?

3 coaches travelling in convoy, while what the pick up did was idiotic you have to wonder how long the 3 coaches had been holding the road up as they always do.

How could they have been holding the road up if they were traveling in a lane where the pickup was able to pass them and then hang a left in front of the buses? Pickup driver at fault and he paid the ultimate price while taking three others with him.

Buses often travel in convoy, it is generally better for traffic flow.

but usually 10 foot from the one in front....just like many trucks..cant possibly stop when things go wrong

Condolences to the families of the deceased. When seeing these Thai stories about the truck cutting in front of the bus to make left turn, you have to wonder about a few things. Seeing Thais drive and "do battle" on the road when another irritates them, you have to wonder if the bus driver was being a wise ass and instead of slowing up to let the truck in , he goosed it up to scare the truck off and be superior for a moment. Second, you could also wonder about the truck driver being a wise ass and expecting the driver to slow up and yield to his superiority. Third, you have to wonder who told the news reporter what happened, and why weren't they quoted? Who were these witnesses - bus passengers or passersby?

Seems your jumping to conclussions when you have NO facts to back them up. Why speculate?

This site is a lot about speculations.....whistling.gif

If the police rigidly enforced the traffic law and starting confiscating vehicle this carnage would soon stop.

Seems to me in this case the frustrated pick up truck driver overtook and then realised he had missed his turning.

As it is he has now missed the rest of his life in an effort to save a few minutes.

I've had two accidents, both on my CBR 250cc, when idiots suddenly decided to do a left turn, with no signal, while I'm in the motorbike lane, and forcing me into the ditch.

They just don't THINK.

Nobody thought them to think:( a mentality with upsides and downsides

Some years ago, with my Thai GF on the pillion, we encountered some idiotic driving. I called out "Think before you act." To which my GF responded "Mai tong kid, khon Thai" "I/we don't need to think - we are Thai."

Condolences to the families of the deceased. When seeing these Thai stories about the truck cutting in front of the bus to make left turn, you have to wonder about a few things. Seeing Thais drive and "do battle" on the road when another irritates them, you have to wonder if the bus driver was being a wise ass and instead of slowing up to let the truck in , he goosed it up to scare the truck off and be superior for a moment. Second, you could also wonder about the truck driver being a wise ass and expecting the driver to slow up and yield to his superiority. Third, you have to wonder who told the news reporter what happened, and why weren't they quoted? Who were these witnesses - bus passengers or passersby?

Only you "...would have to wonder..." about all that unnecessary speculative <deleted> as usual. The only one trying to be a wise ass is you.

The witnesses were quoted, it's in the OP.

Odd that you send your condolences then call two of the dead wise asses.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

3 coaches travelling in convoy, while what the pick up did was idiotic you have to wonder how long the 3 coaches had been holding the road up as they always do.

How could they have been holding the road up if they were traveling in a lane where the pickup was able to pass them and then hang a left in front of the buses? Pickup driver at fault and he paid the ultimate price while taking three others with him.

Buses often travel in convoy, it is generally better for traffic flow.

Article says "Witnesses told police that the truck cut in front of the bus to make a left turn, leading to the crash." so if they were banging along in one lane sounds like he pulled across them

I believe that was exactly what I wrote, meaning the bus was in a lane to the left of the lane in which the offending pickup was traveling, passed the bus and then hung a left turn in front of the bus.

I think we can agree on that..

Seems your jumping to conclussions when you have NO facts to back them up. Why speculate?

That's the way he and other Thai-bashers like to operate.

Sounds familiar. I was on second road jomtien headed towards chayapuke. Three lanes. Right lane vehicles making a u-turn stopped and waiting. Far left lane slow moving motorbikes. Middle lane me (through traffic). I'm going about 70 when the guy in the left lane decides he would like to cut over for a u-turn. I was on a brand new rental PCX-150...locked my brakes and missed him literally by 2cm. He never saw me. My last job was in Sudan. Sadly the same situation there exists here...little or no repercussions for at fault accidents if you are a local.

Fourth.

Why didn't the truck driver anticipate his left turn in good time and slow down behind the bus rather than try to push in front.

• Like 1

same thing happened to one of my wifes truck drivers last week, another truck passed him then turned left into a roadway straight away cutting him off but rather than hit the truck he swung hard left and ran into the gutter and died, the other trucks driver did a runner as per usual. The driver was trapped in the cab filling with water and even when another truck following tried to rescue him it was too late and he died. As long as these idiots are allowed on the roads this will continue, they have no idea about safe driving but in saying this we just did a 2 day bus trip organized by the govt/businesses in the region and the driver was brilliant, no speeding at all, he was obviously very well trained at his job. Maybe more drivers need the same training but it is doubtful thais will ever take using the road seriously, its easier to blame everyone else when they get in your way.

I am amazed at the Thai attitude of passing and cutting a vehicle off to turn. In a civilized society, a driver slows down and gets in behind a another vehicle to turn. Why do they speed up cut in front and stop and turn? Me first, that's why. Well Darwin awards keep coming in this country.

Never ending carnage!....there's no idea here of defensive driving at all.......never think what's ahead or if the lane next to you is clear.

I was saying it to a friend of mine who I work with...

Absolutely no concept of spacial awareness....

I think this is true anywhere in the world. It seems many, when in a car, believe they are in a bubble of invisibility. I've seen any number of things, like picking nose, as if they are all alone. Bad driving certainly isn't specific to asians. Though it's often joked about here in the US. I believe that, though sad, death is part of life. The cost of freedom. I can't wait to get out of here and be in a land where freedom still exists. Though now I'm a bit nervous about traveling on a bus. Oh well Life can be dangerous. coffee1.gif

Not the 1st time i have seen what your describing.

This place is bonkers.crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif