Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Just checking, have I forgotten anything, I am rolleyes.gif at paperwork.......

Colour copies of.....

All PP pages

2 letters from UK gov with my LOS address, less than one year old.

My birth certificate on 2 x A4 sheets as it is too big (long) for one sheet, overlapped so it can be seen as a copy of the same document.

Original Stuff.

Passport.

Application form.

Birth Certificate.

2 x UK gov letters.

CC payment form.

2 x hansum photos.

Letter to enter Trendy.

Fink thats it. Strange the form I downloaded had some letters missing, and all seemed a bit small but did fill the A4 sheet.

Now come on chaps, is this OK.........?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Colour copies of.....

All PP pages

My birth certificate on 2 x A4 sheets as it is too big (long) for one sheet, overlapped so it can be seen as a copy of the same document.

Original Stuff.

Passport.

Application form.

Birth Certificate.

2 x UK gov letters.

CC payment form.

2 x hansum photos.

Letter to enter Trendy.

Fink thats it. Strange the form I downloaded had some letters missing, and all seemed a bit small but did fill the A4 sheet.

You won't need the birth certificate(s) for a standard renewal (judging from the cross in the appropriate column of the PDF at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342795/Supportingdocs2AUG2014.PDF) . Otherwise looks OK to me.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Colour copies of.....

All PP pages

Original Stuff.

Passport.

Application form.

Birth Certificate.

2 x UK gov letters.

CC payment form.

2 x hansum photos.

Letter to enter Trendy.

Birth Certificate not required for replacement passport.

Only one item of proof of address is required.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Fink the ansum photo may be a prob.biggrin.png

I grew a gray beard.......Mrs.Trans says.........."TAKE THAT OFF, YOU LOOK MORE HANSUM".......................w00t.gif ...........So the whiskers are in the bin............sad.png

Idle thought - if your appearance has changed substantially since your last passport (i.e. beard/tache on last passport), then you would need to get a counter signatory, etc.

I grew a gray beard.......Mrs.Trans says.........."TAKE THAT OFF, YOU LOOK MORE HANSUM".......................w00t.gif ...........So the whiskers are in the bin............sad.png

Idle thought - if your appearance has changed substantially since your last passport (i.e. beard/tache on last passport), then you would need to get a counter signatory, etc.

Hansumness prevails.........Cannot change that................giggle.gif

• Like 1

You might be ok. I had a full head of hair on my last passport and now it is all shaved off. I never had to get counter signatory and no questions asked.

Not sure if same applies for a beard though

You might be ok. I had a full head of hair on my last passport and now it is all shaved off. I never had to get counter signatory and no questions asked.

Not sure if same applies for a beard though

Here's what HMPO Says about the counter signatory requirement:

A ‘countersignatory’ will need to fill in this section if you are applying: • for a first British passport • to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport • to renew a child passport (if the child is aged 11 or under), or • to renew a passport (adult, or child aged 12 to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from the photograph in your current passport, or to extend a passport.

So I went to Trendy but was a bit worried about my photos I had done in Ubon cos of the white background for 80bht, sooooo went into the photo place at Trendy so nooooo probs, cost 250bht sad.png . Went up for my interview which all went well until the photos I had done at Trendy rolleyes.gif , the lady showed them to the guy in the next booth, he wink.png then said eeeeeeeeeer, OK, I thought, shit, soooo pulled out my Ubon photos and handed them over, got the thumbs up rolleyes.gif . I said can you enclose BOTH sets of photos, they said YES............thumbsup.gif

I also asked if I could get a friend in BKK to collect my new PP as I lived a long way away, they said YES, as long as you provide them with a letter with named authorisation and they have corresponding ID to show us. thumbsup.gif

Just a quick update on the turn-around time, for information.

I handed in two renewal applications (mine and my sons) on Monday 2nd Feb. I was informed by both email and phone that the passports were ready for collection last Thursday afternoon (19th Feb.) and collected them both this morning.

Steve

• Like 1

Trendy now have a dedicated office which comprises 5 small booths with glass screens all arranged in a line behind a glass security locked door , now completely separate from the visa area., it is in the corner of VFS, straight ahead when you go through the security scanner, they now give you a queue number and there are a couple of sofas and some one from inside hangs around outside offering help.

The passport area is narrow and the booths/counters are all small, but it is adequate and personal.

Intriguingly there is a sign on the wall which simply states "HMPO Bangkok".

Efficiency has certainly improved by an order of magnitude and most staff now seem to speak an acceptable level of English for their appointed role.

I made a successful multiple application in November for three children (two of my own aged 6,3 and a friend's child aged 1).

The staff now check the application carefully and have a check list which itemises supplied supporting documents (you are given a copy of this list).

Payment details are just accepted as offered and noted accordingly, no checking/verification is done in this area.

They read the supporting documents and now definitely check as much as they can that they are in order and supplied according to requirements.

There are still some problem issues which I will document under separate posts, but generally, after almost one year, trendy are now starting to offer the minimum level of service I would have expected from day one.

What type of postage are Trendy using to send the passport application forms to HMPO in Liverpool, and are applicants required to place the application form into a large envelope for Trendy to sent them to Liverpool.

DHL Courier (they give you a tracking number); trendy just take the application papers then package them themselves.

Finally got confirmation that they made a mistake with my son's passport:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your son’s passport application.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter, however you will have to provide the following:

A short covering letter stating the mistake made,

Incorrect passport

Two recent passport photographs

A new completed application form

Any further information, please contact us through our helpline on 0300 222 0000 or via E-mail [email protected].

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXX

Liverpool Contact Centre

Her Majesty's Passport Office

What I found amusing was that they did not give me the address to which I am supposed to send the passport. So I sent an email asking whether I should submit it via the Bangkok Passport Center (Trendy) or send it by registered mail to Liverpool. But no answer to date.

As instructed, sent the passport, new application form and photos by registered mail on 3 February 2015 and still waiting.

Dear XXXXXX,

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter, however you will have to provide the following:

Incorrect passport

Any further information, please contact us through our helpline on 0300 222 0000 or via E-mail [email protected].

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXX

Liverpool Contact Centre

What I found amusing was that they did not give me the address to which I am supposed to send the passport. So I sent an email asking whether I should submit it via the Bangkok Passport Center (Trendy) or send it by registered mail to Liverpool. But no answer to date.

As instructed, sent the passport, new application form and photos by registered mail on 3 February 2015 and still waiting.

In the end, did you have to send to trendy or HMPO Liverpool?

Dear XXXXXX,

Incorrect passport

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXX

Liverpool Contact Centre

In the end, did you have to send to trendy or HMPO Liverpool?

HMPO Liverpool by registered mail.

At least they do appear to possess a smidgen of common sense, then!

The 64,000 dollar question, of course, is whether HMPO Liverpool will courier your son's replacement passport directly to you (or him) or insist that you make a trip to With-It Tower to collect it in person.

The 64,000 dollar question, of course, is whether HMPO Liverpool will courier your son's replacement passport directly to you (or him) or insist that you make a trip to With-It Tower to collect it in person.

Son just received an email today instructing him to pick up the passport from Trendy. So you have your answer. Liverpool HMPO did not send it to me as requested.

I had just fired off a follow up email asking for a status update to Liverpool about an hour before receiving the email from Trendy.

Edited by GarryP

Son just received an email today instructing him to pick up the passport from Trendy. So you have your answer. Liverpool HMPO did not send it to me as requested.

I had just fired off a follow up email asking for a status update to Liverpool about an hour before receiving the email from Trendy.

Hmm, looks like it's only so far a smidgen of common sense goes at HMPO then...

@ transam

re

Application form.

can you confirm these are the front and back pages of the application form you downloaded and gave to and got accepted at trendy coz ive got an appointment there on friday to re new my adult red passport and id like to confirm ive got the right form before i get there :)

thanks ... dave2

post-42592-0-96258600-1425303387_thumb.j

post-42592-0-21833600-1425303415_thumb.j

@ transam

re

Application form.

can you confirm these are the front and back pages of the application form you downloaded and gave to and got accepted at trendy coz ive got an appointment there on friday to re new my adult red passport and id like to confirm ive got the right form before i get there smile.png

thanks ... dave2

Correct form, here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/applying-for-a-passport-from-outside-the-uk-application-form

another numb nuts question

on the form it says .... if a countersignature is needed get them to do blah blah

so how do you know when you do ?

dave2

Counter signature is required if the following applies:

A ‘countersignatory’ will need to fill in Section 10 if you are applying:

• for a first British passport

• to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport

• to renew a child passport (if the child is aged 11 or under), or

• to renew a passport (adult, or child aged 12 to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from the photograph in your current passport, or to extend a passport.

Is it true that your old passport is cancelled from the moment that you submit your application at Trendy?

Is there any point in going personally without an appointment to Trendy just to ask advice?

Thanks.

Yes, HMPO clearly state that your passport is invalid for travel once your application is filed, but you might get away with the first 3-4 days before you can see that HMPO Liverpool have charged your credit card.

Your passport is not however marked in any way until you receive the replacement, at which they cut the corner off the top RHS of the front cover and LHS of the rear cover.

No point, some did get in early on in March/April 2014 when no one had a clue what to do, but nowadays trendy front entrance security want to see your appointment letter (or at least check that you actually have an appointment0 before they will let you through into the UK passport application 'inner sanctum'.

Security are just that and will not know a lot about UK Passport renewals, so this calling in with out an appointment would almost certainly be a complete waste of time.

Nowadays trendy basically perform a postal/checking service, they won't be able to give you 'what if' type advice if that's what you are seeking; it's HMPO Liverpool who make all the decisions.

@ digitalchromakey

re

Counter signature is required if the following applies:

A countersignatory will need to fill in Section 10 if you are applying:

for a first British passport

to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport

to renew a child passport (if the child is aged 11 or under), or

to renew a passport (adult, or child aged 12 to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from the photograph in your current passport, or to extend a passport.

thanks for that and ive got the right form info

i called a friend last night to countersign my application and

pic and ive got a spare aplication form if its wrong so hopefully ive got all bases covered coz the last thing i want after flying to bangkok today is to be told cannot at trendy on friday sad.png

pic .. the smoke smog in chiang mai this morning is not good !

ps .. im going for the 50 odd page passport this time coz im f##### if im going through this again

dave2 ... flying to bangkok in three hours

post-42592-0-91048000-1425343352_thumb.j

Finally picked up the passport with 10 years validity. What a run around.

Finally picked up the passport with 10 years validity. What a run around.

Congratulations, you finally have what your son requested in the first place!!!

Goes to show that persistence can pay off when you have to deal with HMPO and its fairly regular brain farts.

So the motto is: If at first you don't succeed, try, try and then try again.'

Three round trips to trendy required in the end...........................

I have to go to bangkok next week while I'm there the wife is going to renew here uk passport have got the appointment sorted out we live in rented accommodation at the moment what address confirmation do I require will a copy of Thai I'd card be ok

I have to go to bangkok next week while I'm there the wife is going to renew here uk passport have got the appointment sorted out we live in rented accommodation at the moment what address confirmation do I require will a copy of Thai I'd card be ok

If your wife holds a Thai ID card then a translation by a recognised translation agency (with the agency's stamp) will be fine, but she would have to provide full copies of her Thai Passport, as well as all her British Passport copies.

Here is a list of what HMPO will accept:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year.

You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Edited by digitalchromakey