Thai Public Health Ministry to offer free cataract surgery to 60,000 people

webfact

Public Health Ministry to offer free cataract surgery to 60,000 people

PNSOC571204001004701_04122014_092302.jpg

PATTANI, 5 December 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health will offer free cataract surgery to 60,000 people to celebrate the 87th birthday anniversary of His Majesty the King.

The campaign is aimed at reducing the percentage of cataract patients in Thailand from 0.6 percent to 0.5 percent to be on par with the World Health Organization’s standards. According to the Ministry of Public Health, 70 percent of blindness in patients is caused by cataract. In 2013, the number of people with vision loss as a result of cataract was recorded at 70,000, while the number of new cases of blindness caused by cataract is estimated at 60,000 each year.

The Ministry has instructed all of the 12 health service provider boards to seek and register cataract patients throughout the country within December, so that a surgery can be conducted as soon as possible. It has planned to provide an eye surgery to 60,000 patients, including 300 cases in the southernmost provinces.

The free eye surgery project will kick off next year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-05 footer_n.gif

A Thai on the 30 baht national health program can already get free cataract surgery at many govt hospitals. I was just involved with the process with the Thai mother-in-law...lots of older Thais get the surgery.

Seems like dear leader is trying to take credit for a scheme implemented by Mr T??

But of course that would never happen!! Would it??

• Like 1

A Thai on the 30 baht national health program can already get free cataract surgery at many govt hospitals. I was just involved with the process with the Thai mother-in-law...lots of older Thais get the surgery.

Father in law has just had his done at the Supamitrsena Hospital in Ayutthaya province. We live in Bangkok and they also provided free transport if needed. For the first op he used their transport and we took him for the second one. A lot of old people were being treated there, mini buses were arriving all the time we were there checking him in. Reminded me of some sort of "group tour" with porters running around helping all the elderly. For a free service I was most impressed.

• Like 2

I don't suppose this would include foreigners would it? :-)

Why should it?

Because if your working it could possibly be covered under your government insurance.

It is certainly free for foreigners if you are "legal" and your employer is paying into the Social Security Fund.