Land Transport Department provides free vehicle inspections ahead of New Year

Lite Beer

Land Transport Department provides free vehicle inspections ahead of New Year

BANGKOK, 6 December 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport will be launching a road safety campaign from 8 December 2014 to 5 January 2015, in a bid to reduce road accidents during the New Year’s holiday.

Under the concept “Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection for Safe Travelling”, the campaign provides pre-checkups for cars and motorcycles free of charge in order to curb accidents to be caused by vehicles that are not in a road-ready condition.

Mr. Wattana Phattarachol, Deputy Director General of the Land Transport Department said people can have their vehicles checked before their trips at numerous centers designated by the department namely its Bangkok office and also provincial offices nationwide, including various car and motorcycle showrooms and checkup centers operated by the private sector which have the sign “Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection for Safe Travelling”.

Besides, Land Transport Department personnel will be deployed to man ad hoc stations along main routes across Thailand during 30 December 2014 to 5 January 2015, to help motorists check their vehicles around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-06 footer_n.gif

Car checks urged before long New Year journeys
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tyre-manufacturing giant Michelin has teamed with King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok to provide a free car-checking service that aims to encourage drivers to make sure their vehicles are safe for long journeys during the New Year holiday.

People are invited to use the service between 9am-4pm from December 19-22 at a reserved area at the university.

Michelin's tyre technicians, together with lecturers and 50 well-trained automotive engineering students, will conduct the checks and better educate drivers.

Michelin Siam country director Segsarn Trai-Ukos said that in an effort to encourage driver awareness about safe driving during the New Year period, the company organised the Michelin Safe on the Road campaign every year.

He stressed that with every type of vehicle tyre pressure should be in line with a tyre-information label identified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Drivers could do that by inspecting a vehicle's manual or the placard on the doorjamb (door post). They should also check the reserve tyre.

Segsarn said following this advice was the best way to keep tyres in good condition and reduce the chance of an accident.

Neramit Krasaelom, a lecturer at King Mongkut's University of Technology Industrial Technology College, said the campaign would enhance driver confidence in their ability to get to a destination smoothly and safely.

He said that under the campaign basic internal and exter-nal checks on vehicles would be carried out, including on the radiator, fuel hose, the brake and clutch fluid, engine oil, power steering fluid and automatic gear oil.

Other checks included the engine coolant fluid level, windshield washer fluid, the headlights and rear lights, signal lights and the battery.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Car-checks-urged-before-long-New-Year-journeys-30249279.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-07

Sounds like all he simple checks anyone can do? If you own a car you should do some of these, if just to ensure the longevity of the vechical? Example: not checking your oil may will lead to engine failure if there is no oil?

good idea, but I suspect most accidents are caused by incompetent drivers, who have had insufficient or inadequate tuition, and perhaps just bought their driving licence.

I have driven about 30,000 km in Thailand and seen more accidents than I have in 200,000 miles of driving in the UK.

Great initiative but try teaching people how to drive properly and enforce the rules

Let me think !

The man told me my pickup truck was a danger to other road users because of all the bad things on it.

But if I spend money on doing these things to make it safe , I wont have any money for all the whiskey I intend to drink over the season of death.

Thought over - let the truck wait