I Get It - Mostly

seedy

Agree with youre sentiments totaly Seedy OP .I have deleted my comment on 2ndthoughts so the same crap does not happen on this as happened to my thread.Suffise to say we are are the same page and know exactly what youre saying Like you i enjoy all bikes and styles but some jerks can not accel\pt this They are the loosers!

Edited by speedthrills
  • Like 1

I don't mind a good debate.

If we all agreed on everything then there wouldn't be much use for a forum calling out for opinions.

Pages of bickering is boring so I just stop reading those threads.

As said, stick to your own concentrated brand/model forum if you want to avoid the nonsense but sometimes you can learn from a totally different viewpoint.

I like all kinds of bikes so I like it here, but with all types of riders jammed into 1 forum here; conflict is unavoidable.

Just like the chaos of riding in Thailand, such is this forum.

I agree, but $bike_you_ride sucks compared to mine.

cheesy.gif

Seriously though, some of it is due to cultural/language barriers. Native english speakers understand nuances (mostly!) which are often lost on non-native speakers. Throw in the fact that a lot of information is communicated non-verbally, as well as the differences in what type of humour some people have, and it's quite understandable that there is chafing now and again.

The nationality of the poster also needs to be taken into account. A loud boisterous upbringing can seem confrontational to someone who comes from an area where people are more reserved.

So how I imagine everyone on this forum is as a slightly tipsy Italian who just got off a rush-hour commute down Sukhumvit. Makes for a much lower blood pressure when I decide to reply.

PS.

I have nothing against Italians (other than their language which just isn't as nice as Spanish), but they are rather...animated...and definitely don't mind telling you so. As such they are a good way to demonstrate my point.

is a rider on a scooter a real rider ?

No Digitalmarmalade, but a rider..... who circumnavigates the world.... on a scooter is real rider.

I think a real rider is someone who gets out there and "boldly goes".....on whatever he can afford.

So that disqualifies most of you guys out there who spend all day long on this forum.......You know who you are.coffee1.gif

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on............> ph34r.png.pagespeed.ce.GOH20nhrx_1x6kyCr

r u really that dumb?

I think it comes down to the personality of the poster. Some guys like DaveBoo I can have a long drawn out argument with and I feel no hard feelings on either side, just enjoy the debate taking the p1ss, a bit of winding up on both sides, shooting the sh1t - call it what you want depending on where you're from.

Other posters take things much more seriously and a couple of light hearted comments they take to heart and they either start stalking you or ignore you forever. Much like some ex girlfriends :)

• Like 2

99% of the time, when I'm riding, I keep my cool even when cut off by some other idiots in a cage. I almost always say thank you to the driver that pulls over for me when I'm splitting traffic and I even apologise if I clip a car's side mirror by accident.

However, there are also times when I would actually get close enough to a car or pick up and give their side mirror a good whack (just did it last night in fact).

Same here on the forum. Most of the time, most of the posters are just giving their opinion and most would enjoy a good debate. The line gets crossed when there is a perceived "attack" or "insult" an a particular poster or group of posters.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. Occasionally, I will go on the attach, like I did with a former poster (andrex2 - btw, anyone heard from him recently?).

I think Daveboo got it spot on when he tactfully brought up the issue of nationality. Latin blooded people and Northern Europeans will react differently. Coupled with differing levels of mastery of English nuances and innuendos, TV forum can be really explosive at times.

• Like 1

I think it comes down to the personality of the poster. Some guys like DaveBoo I can have a long drawn out argument with and I feel no hard feelings on either side, just enjoy the debate taking the p1ss, a bit of winding up on both sides, shooting the sh1t - call it what you want depending on where you're from.

Other posters take things much more seriously and a couple of light hearted comments they take to heart and they either start stalking you or ignore you forever. Much like some ex girlfriends smile.png

+1

Good post, like most of your others.

However, your earlier post (regarding fanboys and ATGATT riders) was out of character or so I thought and I had considered posting a rebuttal but refrained from doing so.

• Like 1

Other posters take things much more seriously and a couple of light hearted comments they take to heart and they either start stalking you or ignore you forever. Much like some ex girlfriends smile.png

+1

However, your earlier post (regarding fanboys and ATGATT riders) was out of character or so I thought and I had considered posting a rebuttal but refrained from doing so.

One of the best things you can do!

Go have a cig...take a ride...get some nookie...whatever...and then go back and see if the post needs to be replied to in as forceful of a tone as was originally considered.

+1

One of the best things you can do!

Go have a cig...take a ride...get some nookie...whatever...and then go back and see if the post needs to be replied to in as forceful of a tone as was originally considered.

Haha. I'll have some smokes, a few whisky sodas (had a ride already today) and will have some nookie tonight and wait till tomorrow. In the meantime, Johnny might have shared his reasons for his rather forceful view... :)

+1

Fair enough, I don't think it was out of character though. I've been pretty consistent in that I think people should be able to ride whatever bike they want, wearing what they want as long as they are not endangering anyone except themselves.

In my experience on TV the stronger people feel about "their" brand, or their personal opinion about what constitutes adequate protection, the more offended they seem to become by alternative opinions. Hence my post in response to the OP re. the causes of conflict on the board. In my opinion, my comment was a fair comment :)

• Like 2