British Resident found dead at his North Pattaya home

webfact

Another day, another expat found dead in Thailand. I wonder what the total casualty figure will be for 2014 and how it compares to other countries with sizeable expat communities. I'm guessing Thailand will be in a league of its own.

For the British, you are 20x more likely to die while in Thailand than most other foreign countries (excluding war zones).

As someone has pointed out the timeline seems a bit screwed up. Yes probably just bad reporting. But in cases like this you have to ask as their have been precedents.

The women was in Bangers when informed of the accident. Either medics were called a good 2 hours after the discovery of the body when the women got back, or the women flew back from Bangkok using her own wings and was home in super quick time.

Think too mut ?

Another day, another expat found dead in Thailand. I wonder what the total casualty figure will be for 2014 and how it compares to other countries with sizeable expat communities. I'm guessing Thailand will be in a league of its own.

For the British, you are 20x more likely to die while in Thailand than most other foreign countries (excluding war zones).

That probably says just as much about Brits (and I am one) losing the plot too much in Thailand compared to visiting other less insane countries. Either way it's a startling statistic.

That probably says just as much about Brits (and I am one) losing the plot too much in Thailand compared to visiting other less insane countries. Either way it's a startling statistic.

Almost exactly the same stats for Australians in Thailand.

Have the reporter check back in 6 months to see whether or not Khun Plaw is not then living openly with Khun Boonchan as husband and wife.[/size]

In light of the following post from a family member of the deceased, do you agree that your post above is deeply offensive, should be retracted and that you should offer the family members, especially the widow a profound apology?

Nick's family in England heard this sad news this morning. Thanks to people who have posted open-minded comments. For others you may like to know that Nick and Peow had been happily married for 30 years, 15 of which were spent in England. Nick was born without hands or legs that supported him. He had a brilliant mind, at one time managing a department of 600 head office bank staff. He chose to live in Thailand because he loved it. His wife was amazingly supportive and we love her greatly. Nick spoke Thai fluently and was widely known in Pattaya and around. Since a baht bus knocked him off his bike - his pride and joy a vintage triumph adapted so he could manage - he has not been himself, as he was no longer independent. I am his older (by 12 years) brother and will be coming to Thailand as soon as possible to support Peow in her grief. A wonderful man, who had a wonderful wife.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Nick's family in England heard this sad news this morning. Thanks to people who have posted open-minded comments. For others you may like to know that Nick and Peow had been happily married for 30 years, 15 of which were spent in England. Nick was born without hands or legs that supported him. He had a brilliant mind, at one time managing a department of 600 head office bank staff. He chose to live in Thailand because he loved it. His wife was amazingly supportive and we love her greatly. Nick spoke Thai fluently and was widely known in Pattaya and around. Since a baht bus knocked him off his bike - his pride and joy a vintage triumph adapted so he could manage - he has not been himself, as he was no longer independent. I am his older (by 12 years) brother and will be coming to Thailand as soon as possible to support Peow in her grief. A wonderful man, who had a wonderful wife.

RIP Nick. I think we can safely claim that our hearts go out to Nick's family, Peow and their friends at this very, very sad time.

Edited by NanLaew

I notice all the cool hearted, immature, conspiracy theorists have crawled back under their rocks since the brother's post.

Just goes to show how one man with a disability had a successful and fulfilling life while those who left heartless posts wallow in their own self pity and emptiness.

• Like 1

I notice all the cool hearted, immature, conspiracy theorists have crawled back under their rocks since the brother's post.

Just goes to show how one man with a disability had a successful and fulfilling life while those who left heartless posts wallow in their own self pity and emptiness.

It sets a precedent though. At worst, it ignores and erases evidence (posts), to the specific mechanix of some of the very dodgy things that occur much too often in the LOS. Although that does not seem to be the case in this particular tragedy, sometimes posts no matter how insensitive they seem, do contain some measure of sobering truths, and some very much needed warnings and advice about living here. Some of which I think every single one of us could use to some greater or lesser degree, no matter how long we have been here, and the News Media outlets seem determined in their incompetence to either omit pertinent info or actually add erroneous data in such a way that it results in letting our fears perhaps get the better of us.

It doesn't change the fact that the deceased (may he RIP) had a great and amazing life! Overcoming limitations that would have stopped most of us in our tracks! And he was able to enjoy a little bit of the well earned Paradise that we all so fondly seek but rarely ever find.

Bob

Edited by bobthomas

It sets a precedent though. At worst, it ignores and erases evidence (posts), to the specific mechanix of some of the very dodgy things that occur much too often in the LOS. Although that does not seem to be the case in this particular tragedy, sometimes posts no matter how insensitive they seem, do contain some measure of sobering truths, and some very much needed warnings and advice about living here. Some of which I think every single one of us could use to some greater or lesser degree, no matter how long we have been here, and the News Media outlets seem determined in their incompetence to either omit pertinent info or actually add erroneous data in such a way that it results in letting our fears perhaps get the better of us.

It doesn't change the fact that the deceased (may he RIP) had a great and amazing life! Overcoming limitations that would have stopped most of us in our tracks! And he was able to enjoy a little bit of the well earned Paradise that we all so fondly seek but rarely ever find.

Bob

While we all know Thailand can be a little like the wild West at times every single tragedy that befalls anyone (Thai or foreigners) is immediately met with anti Thai comments, cold hearted comments and baseless theories by largely the same people.

If these people are that disgusted or paranoid about what goes on in Thailand then it's very simple...GO BACK TO WHERE YOU COME FROM.

Not a single one of them who made the heartless comments have apologised to the family of the deceased or took back their narrow minded baseless opinion that it was cold blooded murder or that the wife set it up. No wonder we farangs are less welcome here than we once were, it seems a large amount of social outcasts from the West reside here painting us all in a bad light.

Rant over.

Bob

While we all know Thailand can be a little like the wild West at times every single tragedy that befalls anyone (Thai or foreigners) is immediately met with anti Thai comments, cold hearted comments and baseless theories by largely the same people.

If these people are that disgusted or paranoid about what goes on in Thailand then it's very simple...GO BACK TO WHERE YOU COME FROM.

Not a single one of them who made the heartless comments have apologised to the family of the deceased or took back their narrow minded baseless opinion that it was cold blooded murder or that the wife set it up. No wonder we farangs are less welcome here than we once were, it seems a large amount of social outcasts from the West reside here painting us all in a bad light.

Rant over.

I think a little bit of expat whining is normal- as is a healthy bit of caution. It gives expats that much needed bit of solidarity in a place were we are tolerated with a smile but never truly fit into Thai culture. Whining/bashing can however (as you say) be overdone. I think this is due to varying levels of culture shock, and a natural component we all share, that we do wish things were different. There can also be a fair bit of vicarious vengeance going on when expats get involved with Thai bashing- You almost get the feeling that many expats actually would genuinely enjoy seeing the country fail, or fall into complete ruin. I think it's a holdover from our Western perspective in which (theoretically anyway) good people that work hard are rewarded and people that are screw-ups get punished or at least they don't get rewarded. You do have to admit, that at times it does seem like Thailand actually operates on rules that are the exact opposite of that.

The way the news laid the story out- it had all the necessary components to fall neatly into a particular category- Hence the pigeon hole. I do have to believe that posters were not serious in their accusations and were referring rather to the stereotype and not the deceased in particular. I also have to believe this is the way that they consider the bizarre brand of humor to make life here more palatable. I have to also hope the deceased's family wasn't to put off by the wacky humor of some fringe expats like us as well.

I'm afraid as far as expats falling out of favor with Thais- We can't put the genie back in the bottle on that one. I have to believe this is most likely due to the public persona that we project. and you can't but wonder- were we social outcasts that came to Thailand or has being here in a place we really can't ever hope to truly be comfortable with- that has invariably brought out the worst in us. I would say...perhaps both.

• Like 1

I don't think the jokes are necessarily in bad taste they are more of a knee jerk reaction to I'm glad that wasn't me.

No dude .... they WERE in bad taste .... I can't wait to get back to Thailand

I don't think you understood the statement properly.

People die here all the time in strange circumstances and making jokes is some people's way of relieving the stress of thinking, the next one could be me.

Hope you can try to understand that.

• Like 1

Trust me, they'll be back and none of the reality of this case will change a single keystroke. Anything where you can implicate two or more Thais in the untimely death of a Farang is too good for some of our resident detectives to pass up.

• Like 1

I don't think the jokes are necessarily in bad taste they are more of a knee jerk reaction to I'm glad that wasn't me.

People die here all the time in strange circumstances and making jokes is some people's way of relieving the stress of thinking, the next one could be me.

I agree. The problem is some foreigners just take everything so seriously in a country where you should come to do the opposite..

• Like 1

The circumstances he was found in would have led to a full scale murder inquiry in his home country,but this ain't his home country. He ends up in a pool with a head injury,Until evidence is produced that led him to come by this injury ie stroke,heart attack etc,then rolled into the pool and presumably drowned(was it drowning?)Whatever evidence a medical examiner could produce would have scaled back the inquiry

Two alibis,one good,one not quite so. Thais at around that time he returned are usually finishing work,not returning with fresh supplies,he would have returned the following morning with them. The painter obviously needs a good grilling

There are commentators on this thread that know more,and could provide a motive but painting a rosy picture does not hold true in some instances

He lived a good life and RIP to him

The circumstances he was found in would have led to a full scale murder inquiry in his home country,but this ain't his home country. He ends up in a pool with a head injury,Until evidence is produced that led him to come by this injury ie stroke,heart attack etc,then rolled into the pool and presumably drowned(was it drowning?)Whatever evidence a medical examiner could produce would have scaled back the inquiry

Two alibis,one good,one not quite so. Thais at around that time he returned are usually finishing work,not returning with fresh supplies,he would have returned the following morning with them. The painter obviously needs a good grilling

There are commentators on this thread that know more,and could provide a motive but painting a rosy picture does not hold true in some instances

He lived a good life and RIP to him

.... and sometimes accidents DO happen

... really !! ... I understood the statement .... do you expats really live in fear! ..... not the Thailand I know .... maybe you have a lifestyle that puts you in danger .... I for one feel extremely safe when I'm in LOS ... but then I'm not a bar monkey and I treat people the way I like to be treated .... just saying

• Like 1

... really !! ... I understood the statement .... do you expats really live in fear! ..... not the Thailand I know .... maybe you have a lifestyle that puts you in danger .... I for one feel extremely safe when I'm in LOS ... but then I'm not a bar monkey and I treat people the way I like to be treated .... just saying

Well the deceased didn't get out much either. You obviously haven't been here very long.

• Like 1

That's the point many posters have tried to imply, "Feeling safe" and actualy being safe are two very different things. Anyone that hasn't come to terms with the realities that life is cheap here, is suffering from a form of bliss inspired delusion.

Uncle Bob- (Voice of the people)

• Like 1