Over 100,000 sacks of rice missing from Government stockpiles

Lite Beer

Over 100,000 sacks of rice missing from Government stockpiles

26-12-2557-13-06-23-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) revealed Friday that more than 100,000 sacks of rice were missing from the government rice stockpiles kept at a private company in Pathum Thani province.

Revelation by the PACC came after its officials and a combined force of police, soldiers and officials of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) inspected the rice stockpiles at the warehouses of Phoenix Agritech (Thailand) today and found 108,480 sacks were missing.

The rice stockpiles bought from farmers under the Yingluck government’s rice pledging scheme were kept at the warehouses of the company since March 26, 2013.

Authorities found big empty chamber beneath the enormous piles of rice sacks supported by scaffoldings.

Measurement of the hollow space showed it could accommodate up to 108,480 sacks of rice.

Authorities are questioning responsible peoples to track the missing stocks.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/100000-sacks-rice-missing-government-stockpiles

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

• Like 1

Glad they apparently did such a sterling job during their audit.

Is that 5000 tonnes approx?

5000/19,000,000

0.02%

I guess Yingluck carried it away in her handbag

Well, this is only from one place, and not quite the figures I came up with:

1 sack of unmilled rice = 100kg (approximately, some will say 80kg)

108,480 sacks x 100 kg = 10,848,000 kg = 10,848 metric tonnes

This was from only 1 x warehouse, and this was cut from an article a few months back:

"After finding 90,000 sacks of missing rice at [Pathum Thani] granaries, I have ordered officials to investigate more thoroughly into reasons for the missing rice today," said Deputy National Police Chief Pol General Ake Angsananont.

In Phitchit, officials, after inspecting three rice granaries, found more than 200,000 sacks of rice (or 20,000 tonnes) could not be accounted for. A sack contains 100 kilograms of rice.

Readimg elsewhere...

It is the exact same warehouse that they found the same problem earlier in the year. So a fine job they did of checking this out.

Cue the screaming of nationwide theft and corruption. One warehouse has this issue as they have found so far. What a joke

Either way, the bugs are eating more than this across 19mn tonnes every few months.

This is miller rice. I thought this came on 20 and 50kg sacks.

Edited by Thai at Heart

5000/19,000,000

0.02%

It must be a big handbag to carry 10,848 tonnes and at 15,000 baht per ton that comes to 162,720,000 baht.

Now I am sure that you can afford to lose that much money and not worry about it and that it is not much in the overall losses, but why should you care as it wasn't your money anyway. Don't forget the storage and transportation costs as well.

Of course in your mind it was stolen, mislaid or simply a paperwork error as Nuttawuts teams who took a week or 10 days to inventory the whole stock said there was nothing wrong, rotten or missing. It is a well known fact that the PTP government ministers NEVER told lies.

If this is all that is lost it will be a miracle, but when one stack has been found dodgy in a warehouse and they can't check tat setbof buildings properly that is a very poor effort.

As I said, the bugs have eaten more than this. Anything up to 0.05% a year, 0.1% for breakage is not uncommon. Just turning it to dust. Gone.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Authorities found big empty chamber beneath the enormous piles of rice sacks supported by scaffoldings.

But...but, how can this be? Yingluck was in charge, she's nobody's puppet, not just a proxy, she is a highly qualified, experienced executive. Gosh, I never heard of these kind of losses when she was managing the family business. I guess that's just too bad for the tax payers, they thought they were getting a Lincoln, and ended up with a Pinto.

• Like 2

@Costas2008. Although I am one for both democracy and elections you have to keep in mind that the vast majority of people on TV are not Thai people,therefore we are only guests in their country and do not have any rights to be shouting for elections or democracy. Try it in a country like China and see what happens to you. The Thai people will eventually decide on their own what is best for them.

• Like 1

Considering that building of a warehouse takes some investment, what are the odds, that the owner of the warehouse is actually one of "the good people" aka yellow shirts??

Sorry if it doesn't fit the agenda of some posters here!!

• Like 1

This very same warehouse was in BP 140627 reported to contain 39.000 sacks of rice after an inspection 26th of June.

And now more than 100.000 sacks are missing??

Someone is lying!! All part of the master plan??

Is this on top of the 91,000 sacks missing from this warehouse that the army inspection team announced six months ago?

That is the funny part!!

Before the inspection 6 months ago the warehouse contained 130.000 sacks, 91.000 missing then and 100.000 now!!

So todays balance is -61.000 sacks, so the sacks you see in the OP, are only your imagination!!

Costas, next time you try to discredit YL & Co, please use your calculator!!

• Like 1

5000/19,000,000

0.02%

It must be a big handbag to carry 10,848 tonnes and at 15,000 baht per ton that comes to 162,720,000 baht.

Now I am sure that you can afford to lose that much money and not worry about it and that it is not much in the overall losses, but why should you care as it wasn't your money anyway. Don't forget the storage and transportation costs as well.

Of course in your mind it was stolen, mislaid or simply a paperwork error as Nuttawuts teams who took a week or 10 days to inventory the whole stock said there was nothing wrong, rotten or missing. It is a well known fact that the PTP government ministers NEVER told lies.

If this is all that is lost it will be a miracle, but when one stack has been found dodgy in a warehouse and they can't check tat setbof buildings properly that is a very poor effort.

As I said, the bugs have eaten more than this. Anything up to 0.05% a year, 0.1% for breakage is not uncommon. Just turning it to dust. Gone.

Twisting and turning things again, aren't we? The 100, 000+ bags are missing from one warehouse, Phoenix Agritech's, in Pathum Thani, not the total of the missing rice bags (+ in silos)! I know it would suit you and the Shin's partisans better like this, but it isn't true, you spread misleading info!
I think I just read it in the BKK post, or another link that it is the exact same warehouse facility. So basically they found one issue, apprently inspected it all, missed it and found it now.

Of course as yet I presume the warehouse owner is unpunished etc etc. Yeah its theft, to a small scale which wi be used to make q massive headline.

Lock the warehouse owner up and sue his ass, instead of turning it into a political football. How about that for an idea? Its not hard.

But of course, now this becomes a red issue. If only this causality was used everywhere in the world. We would be free of politicians on a day.

In fact with a little more checking in the BKK post, I just read a fascinating link from early December that the warehouse OWNERS wi be sued for losses.

How come this little story didn't make the nation or Thai visa and has morphed into a debate about whether Yingluck will be on the hook for theft and storage losses beyond the systematic loss.

Funny how that headline hasn't figured on thaivisa. Not part of the nations unbiased reporting obviously.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Glad they found that and published it. Now, how many people working there must have known about this? And will they be prosecuted?

All these trucks leaving - l o a d e d. Surely they operate weigh scales?!

Can they please track down the perps and make them pay?

• Like 1

Is this on top of the 91,000 sacks missing from this warehouse that the army inspection team announced six months ago?

That is the funny part!!

Before the inspection 6 months ago the warehouse contained 130.000 sacks, 91.000 missing then and 100.000 now!!

So todays balance is -61.000 sacks, so the sacks you see in the OP, are only your imagination!!

Costas, next time you try to discredit YL & Co, please use your calculator!!

Nobody needs to 'try to discredit YL & Co', she and her bunch of goons did a very good job at that by themselves. On the other side, there are guys like you whose motivation, when genuine, I can't understand. Why do you still try to deny the (catastrophic) evidence? Do you intend to pay for the missing rice, and the spoilt one, plus expenses, by yourself? Fine, start a fund and collect funds from your like-minded comrades (hope they're wealthy and generous, as you'll need to collect more than 600,000,000,000 Baht)!

• Like 2

It might be time for the military to focus a bit more on this company and go through all of Phoenix Agritechs' warehouses with a fine toothed comb. One warehouse was showing irregularities 6 months ago with 91 000 sacks missing and now this one as well. If 2 have shown irregularities there are bound to be more.

Would be interesting to know how many warehouses the owner of this company, Pongpas Dungduangsasitorn, actually owns. Obviously would not just be one as he is on the rice exporters database list being a major rice exporter for Thailand.

Lets hope Prongpas is investigated and held to account if he is in fact responsible.