Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

On my first trip to Thailand, in early 1980's, I saw a Thai man crouching down taking a dump in the middle of an entry road to a temple, just before its main gate.

Anyhow (glad I got that off my chest, ha ha), the two gymnasts doing body art outside (not inside) a temple. It don't bother me. But that's just one of the added freedoms of not being tethered to a religion: not being so fraught with getting offended by so many things. Of course the worst are the Moslems - they've got so many things which can offend them, it borders on ludicrous.

I found the opposite. Once when I was deported, I was stuck in Dakka, Bangladesh and they let me sleep in the prayer room for 2 days and some gave me food.

• Like 1

Is it any worse than Thai tourists scribbling graffiti on the Great Wall or lauding Adolph Hitler? I really don't think so.

I don't believe it was Thai tourists with the Nazi stuff. I think it was University students in Bangkok.

Thaiiliketoo google is your friend http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRRd05EY3hPVFEyTkE9PQ==&sectionid=

Toknarok, reading is your friend. I said Nazi stuff was University students in Bangkok.

Is it any worse than Thai tourists scribbling graffiti on the Great Wall or lauding Adolph Hitler? I really don't think so.

No, they're equally wrong.

Are you condoning graffiti and lauding Hitler?

• Like 1

Read line three of my response. Get me in touch with them and I will.

As for appropriate, this whole campaign is inappropriate.

Started by cowards too scared to politely point out to the tourists what they were doing wrong.

You don't need to be confrontational to do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one at the Wat said anything did they? Wasn't it a cowardly INTERNET warrior much like yourself who saw the photos posted in Facebook and got bent out of shape?

Look on Facebook to get in touch with them. Any one can find them in a minute.

I very much doubt this guy is literate. Thai bashers seldom are.

A group of farang was found doing a workout [at a temple], supposedly yoga. They spread their arms and legs while their friends were taking photos. This was done in public view of both locals and tourists," the caption said. Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner"

Boo hoo hoo

If they are doing something wrong then say so to their face instead of this cowardly, chicken crud online BS outrage campaign.

That's call Thainess.

What country is Yoga, The Kama Sutra and Lord Gautama Buddha from?

Just sayin'...

What're you trying to say? Please, continue...

Yoga is a communion with God,.

Lord Buddha was a prophet.

The Kama Suttra is Hindu.

They are all linked to India.

But these disrespectful ignoramuses are not at a Hindu temple in India.

It is similar to someone walking into a church in my country in only their underpants. If it was found out they were'nt Christian there would be am outrage.

Thais are very very tolerant to foreigners disrespectful actions. If there was a hub for tolerance, Thailand would be it.

Not to be a nitpicker but Buddha was never a prophet.

• Like 1

I used to do t'ai chi and chi kung (Taoist in origin), several styles of kung <deleted> (Buddhist) and Muay Thai. Yoga was also on offer, though I didn't try it.

All of these classes were held in church halls in England, right next to the church, close to the cemetery- right in the grounds. No one had a big tizzy over it being offensive to Christianity.

Sorry if that's being rude, but some people need to lighten up, especially as compared to what I have seen going on in some Thailand temple grounds- or is that alright because those people are Thai and are making some cash out of it?

• Like 2

I used to do t'ai chi and chi kung (Taoist in origin), several styles of kung <deleted> (Buddhist) and Muay Thai. Yoga was also on offer, though I didn't try it.

All of these classes were held in church halls in England, right next to the church, close to the cemetery- right in the grounds. No one had a big tizzy over it being offensive to Christianity.

Sorry if that's being rude, but some people need to lighten up, especially as compared to what I have seen going on in some Thailand temple grounds- or is that alright because those people are Thai and are making some cash out of it?

Ya like Father Sullivan's bingo night in the city that doesn't allow gambling.

Read line three of my response. Get me in touch with them and I will.

Started by cowards too scared to politely point out to the tourists what they were doing wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one at the Wat said anything did they? Wasn't it a cowardly INTERNET warrior much like yourself who saw the photos posted in Facebook and got bent out of shape?

I am talking about the fool who began this campaign on FB or whatever.

Try reading all the posts in a posting eh.

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai.

Not at all. I rather suspect the tourists wouldn't act the same way in a church, mosque or synagogue in their home country. Why should they even think it's remotely acceptable in a Buddhist temple?

They are also both dressed inappropriately to visit a temple. They have obviously spent no time learning about local ways and are completely devoid of any cultural sensitivity.

But in a Church etc you would not find monks smoking, watching the TV, selling magic charms or telling fortunes or having regular concerts. I have just been to Wat Sakla where Thais were walking about in cut off jeans and skimpy tops, but they are not falang. The only local way these yoga lot need to learn is Thai hypocrisy where conduct in a Wat is concerned.

Look on Facebook to get in touch with them. Any one can find them in a minute. Or ask any Thai 12 year old they might be better with the computer.

Edited by thailiketoo

Get me in touch with them and I will.

Since I can't post Thai writing here mr braveguy I'll tell you how to get in touch. Copy the photograph and google with the photograph and the words Facebook.

Get back to us and let us know how the people responded.

How about you stop partially quoting a post mr know nowt guy.

The post you partially quote, for the second time, was in response to my saying that rather than start a chicken crud, outrage BS campaign against someone who may have caused offense inadvertently it would be better to tell them at the time that what they are doing was offensive.

But then you know that don't you.

• Like 2

Look on Facebook to get in touch with them. Any one can find them in a minute. Or ask your Thai grand daughter she might be better with the computer.

No, I won't as I don't use FB.

Please explain your final sentence? I feel you are directing some sort of sexpat slur towards me.

As for the reasons I dislike this type of online behavior, read the post prior to this.

Edited by Bluespunk

I never said which people needed to lighten up. Personally, I think it would be good for most people around the world to do so, not only huffy people in Thailand. However, I do think that gambling is a lot more objectionable than some admittedly impressive looking yoga...

as mentioned, they appear to be on the grass/footpath leading into the temple grounds. i have observed thais drinking booze and playing games of chance at the immediate gate entrance to temples during their/temple fairs. no dress code observed whatsoever as long as not inside the temple.

it appears that some thai are as racist toward farang (farang bashing) as some tv members are accused of being toward thai.

i took a group of hindu to a christmas service, at their request, one time, they got a kick out of prayer time as people kneeled, bowed, closed eyes, etc. serval of them took pictures throught the prayer and other parts considered holy, by some. afterwards, the majority on the church members stopped to welcome the hindus, visit, etc. not a single mention was made top their disrregard for chistian custom to me or them.

perhaps some people are a tad too religious, nationalist in the vocal blather and should be more concerned with how they are precieved by those they like to critize.

At my father innlaws funeral every night the men sat and drank beer and played cards in the temple. For 5 days.

How about you stop partially quoting a post mr know nowt guy.

The post you partially quote, for the second time, was in response to my saying that rather than start a chicken crud, outrage BS campaign against someone who may have caused offense inadvertently it would be better to tell them at the time that what they are doing was offensive.

But then you know that don't you.

You wrote,

"Read line three of my response. Get me in touch with them and I will.

Post #40

I wrote, "Correct me if I'm wrong but no one at the Wat said anything did they? Wasn't it a cowardly INTERNET warrior much like yourself who saw the photos posted in Facebook and got bent out of shape?

No edits were done in the above post.

Look on Facebook to get in touch with them. Any one can find them in a minute. Or ask your Thai grand daughter she might be better with the computer.

Please explain your final sentence? I feel you are directing some sort of sexpat slur towards me.

As for the reasons I dislike this type of online behavior, read the post prior to this.

Kids are normally better at facebook in Thailand than older guys writing from other countries. I changed it to young person as you can see above because I don't know if you have any Thai family as most of us here do.

It is easy to log on to FB only takes a minute. Like I said ask any kid to help you. No sexpat slur at all; it is difficult to know what to say sometimes. If I said young person that might mean a slur but it was not my intention I only meant about facebook which you have confirmed by saing you don't use facebook.

Edited by thailiketoo

I never said which people needed to lighten up. Personally, I think it would be good for most people around the world to do so, not only huffy people in Thailand. However, I do think that gambling is a lot more objectionable than some admittedly impressive looking yoga...

As another poster pointed out many things go on at Wats when they are raising money or other such activities. They even have those Buddha slot machines at some Wats. I think the whole thing is nuts but normal as in most things Thais have an inferiority complex when it comes to things Western. Everything Western is always better, cars, women, movies, sports play, education and on and on. One should be used to it if one lives in Thailand. We get paid more and everybody wants to look like us OK so there is also some flak when we do something dumb like Yoga at the Wat.

Kids are normally better at facebook in Thailand than older guys writing from other countries. I changed it to young person as you can see above because I don't know if you have any Thai family as most of us here do.

It is easy to log on to FB only takes a minute. Like I said ask any kid to help you.

I live here.

I quit FB because of the Mexican beheading video.

I know how to use it, I choose not too.

My point still stands as in previous posts.

If you have a problem with what someone is doing, tell them.

Don't post it all over the web.

• Like 1

It is easy to log on to FB only takes a minute. Like I said ask any kid to help you.

I live here.

I quit FB because of the Mexican beheading video.

I know how to use it, I choose not too.

My point still stands as in previous posts.

If you have a problem with what someone is doing, tell them.

Don't post it all over the web.

I'd agree with you about that but if you want to confront them and can't find an alternative that may be the only way. Someone should say something about the fact that it's OK to have Thai girls dancing at the Wat but not Farang doing yoga. Of course you would have to do it in Thai for anyone to understand what you were talking about.

should be pointed out that you are not supposed/allowed to publish pics of other people without their express permission, ie, signed a waiver, have to wonder if the photographer or paper bothered to do so or are they even aware of the law and if so why are they ignoring them, or is is ok for thais to do as they please, break the laws etc but farangs are not allowed to do anything in case it offends anyone else. Maybe we should find the tourists and tell them to take them all to court/demand compensation just to be fair about it, after all, I bet they dont like their pics being bandied around without their permission.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

OMG! I just lost face BIG TIME by looking at that picture!

Some time ago, while I was at the temple, I saw a woman slapping the shit out of her 2 year old kid. Seemed to offend no one, but me...

• Like 1

should be pointed out that you are not supposed/allowed to publish pics of other people without their express permission, ie, signed a waiver, have to wonder if the photographer or paper bothered to do so or are they even aware of the law and if so why are they ignoring them, or is is ok for thais to do as they please, break the laws etc but farangs are not allowed to do anything in case it offends anyone else. Maybe we should find the tourists and tell them to take them all to court/demand compensation just to be fair about it, after all, I bet they dont like their pics being bandied around without their permission.

Members of the public do not need a permit to shoot in public places and, apart from some notable exceptions, you can shoot private buildings or property as long as you’re standing on public land.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/14/photographers-rights-the-ultimate-guide/#null

OMG! I just lost face BIG TIME by looking at that picture!

Some time ago, while I was at the temple, I saw a woman slapping the shit out of her 2 year old kid. Seemed to offend no one, but me...

This not same you country. You not understand.

I'm like 99.9% sure you don't have the intelligence to speak Thai even at a level of a 2 year old. biggrin.png

• Like 1