Sawasdee Krub (the goodbye one)

srchino

Sometimes it's just time to move on

Good luck to those, it seems a few are longer term stayers.

It has changed a lot over the years, and certainly some of it not for the better, but I still enjoy living and working here at the moment.

Wise words and everyone chooses their own time.

Bon' Voyage folks ...... don't forget to write !!

when you get back home ... ignore the high taxes, corruption, bureaucratic red tape, over the top regulations for anything you try to do, cost of living, must have a license for everything you do, expensive for a cup of coffee, can't do this can't do that, & anything else I forgot to mention ...... clap2.gif

I love Thailand ... !!!!!

Last time I looked, a good cup of coffee here cost the same as the US. However, if you like Nescafe then the cost is about the same. Of course, when with your bar friends your statement would be, "in my Country you can't even have a few beers and drive your car or walk stupidly down the street without being arrested." Now, rewrite your post and give your real reason.

Wrong !! ....... I buy a machine processed cup of coffee made from beans imported from Brizal for 40 baht each day ..... and I know many other coffee houses offer similar ..... in your country it's around $5 minimum so thats about 4 x ...

Also , I'm a loner ... no bar friends like your leaving behind ..... and it's got absolutely nothing to do with driving a car after drinking ... that is considered illegal in any country.

I'm talking about ... if I own a block of land in the US , UK , Australia or elsewhere ... Legally I cannot even dig a hole on my land unless I get a permit ... I cannot cut down a tree on my own land unless I get a permit ..... I cannot go fishing on my property unless I have a license .....I cannot have a BBQ on my land unless I obtain permission & a permit to light the BBQ ..... and so on .... and so on ....

Do you get the point or are you still in denial .... coffee1.gif

Well , at least in the US, UK, Australia, you can own the block of land that you want to dig

a hole in. Here you do not need a permit, but you will be digging a hole on the land of your

wife ........ And if the trees are teak that are growing on your wife's land here, I can

assure you that you will indeed need a permit from the government to cut them down.. coffee1.gif

Not sure if a permit is needed to BBQ in the US. Maybe I have been gone too long. laugh.png

Edited by EyesWideOpen

when you get back home ... ignore the high taxes, corruption, bureaucratic red tape, over the top regulations for anything you try to do, cost of living, must have a license for everything you do, expensive for a cup of coffee, can't do this can't do that, & anything else I forgot to mention ...... clap2.gif

Last time I looked, a good cup of coffee here cost the same as the US. However, if you like Nescafe then the cost is about the same. Of course, when with your bar friends your statement would be, "in my Country you can't even have a few beers and drive your car or walk stupidly down the street without being arrested." Now, rewrite your post and give your real reason.

Wrong !! ....... I buy a machine processed cup of coffee made from beans imported from Brizal for 40 baht each day ..... and I know many other coffee houses offer similar ..... in your country it's around $5 minimum so thats about 4 x ...

Also , I'm a loner ... no bar friends like your leaving behind ..... and it's got absolutely nothing to do with driving a car after drinking ... that is considered illegal in any country.

I'm talking about ... if I own a block of land in the US , UK , Australia or elsewhere ... Legally I cannot even dig a hole on my land unless I get a permit ... I cannot cut down a tree on my own land unless I get a permit ..... I cannot go fishing on my property unless I have a license .....I cannot have a BBQ on my land unless I obtain permission & a permit to light the BBQ ..... and so on .... and so on ....

Well , at least in the US, UK, Australia, you can own the block of land that you want to dig

a hole in. Here you do not need a permit, but you will be digging a hole on the land of your

wife ........ And if the trees are teak that are growing on your wife's land here, I can

assure you that you will indeed need a permit from the government to cut them down.. coffee1.gif

Not sure if a permit is needed to BBQ in the US. Maybe I have been gone too long. laugh.png

Agree with all you said ... but at least here everything is not so regulated, there's not an authority to handle how many times you go to the toilet each day .. haha .... and as someone else mentioned you can't build a kids play house unless you get a permit and of course pay a fee. The BBQ comment was more in the fact that you cannot go to the beach and set up a BBQ or in a park or similar, you need permission from the council like you need permission from the council to fart . Lol. :-)

Good luck & safe travels

One thing I notice where ever I go there I am wink.png

The things you mention about Thailand while true is but petty crimes in comparison to what

goes on "back home" in many other countries IMHO

Except here it is not hidden....as well... so it seems more in your face & noticeable but IMO really small potatoes compared to many

other spots...Political BS here does not lead this country into wars that last decades that we must pay for.....

Police corruption? better not go there but just better hidden elsewhere & favors given only to limited select individuals & family.

Not to mention there taxes are so high & benefits so good of course less incentive....but you pay for that...just in a different way

Police harassment? Where I come from anytime one gets on your tail in a car ( & there are tons of them ) it feels like harassment & you will likely get pulled

if you are one iota out of legal (safety check,reg sticker,lights etc etc etc) or are 2mph over speed limits ( may also apply above pay difference to this situation)

So yes same but different.....where ever you go there you are. Waves everywhere...but in the end we decide if we swim over them or surf

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

I'll bet a relationship and/or money figure heavily in those departures.

EyesWideOpen

"And no. I am not a bitter expat who was cleaned out by a bar girl... :-) One of

my main reasons for leaving is that I wish to have my 4 year old daughter

educated in America. "

A friend of mine, a long-time Thai resident, got married and had a kid (at 72). He went back to the US so his kid would go to school there and his wife could become a citizen. If he were not married, he would have stayed here in Thailand, but with a family, priorities change.

• Like 2

After 7 years in Thailand, I came home two months ago.

And yes, you are right, Charlie, a relationship did figure heavily in my departure.

I wanted real opportunity, and a better future for my wife.

• Like 2

A remarkably civil thread, well done guys. I understand where the OP is coming from particularly in relation to the selfie cultivated image culture emerging here but I think he will find the same back home, its just the way of the world to progress or some might say regress. Good luck anyway.

No need to be antagonistic against those you don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks.

For example, sir, I've been back two months and have yet to hear a single dog bark once. Nor have I had to close my windows to the daily burning of plastic bottles and baby diapers. Nor have I felt the need to look to see if someone were driving on the wrong side of the road.

At night.

On a curve.

Without lights.

Drunk.

Enjoy your Thailand with our blessing. We will enjoy our homeland with or without yours.

• Like 1

No need to be antagonistic against those you don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks.

For example, sir, I've been back two months and have yet to hear a single dog bark once. Nor have I had to close my windows to the daily burning of plastic bottles and baby diapers. Nor have I felt the need to look to see if someone were driving on the wrong side of the road.

At night.

On a curve.

Without lights.

Drunk.

Enjoy your Thailand with our blessing. We will enjoy our homeland with or without yours.

Heijo,

I came to the conclusion recently I really miss my front garden over there.

MJP

Love gardening. Wife does too. But so many veggies won't grow well in Thailand. Can't wait for spring here. Brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash, spinach, heirloom tomatoes ….. licklips.gif

Shamefully, I have removed all top soil down to a nutrient poor sand sub-grade and compacted 2" gravel across the lot.

I find that much easier to mow.

Edited by MJP

Are you talking about Thailand here?

• Like 1

At least you can own it, chum. Can you own land here?

OP, sorry to hear you turning your back on Thailand after that time, and all the best in the future.

But, have you considered that it is not Thailand that has changed, but your own attitude?

All the subject matter that you named in the original post has always been here (for the KT reference read other places), at least for the last 20 years, personal observations.

All the 'bad' things that are on the increase, IMHO, are related to more westernization of the country in relation to tourism and knock on effects from this.

I am still very happy to be living here, but am dreading the day it changes to match 1st world society.

Good luck my friend..................wai.gif

• Like 1

mind the doors please and bon voyage

You learnt that little nugget on TV, right? Throwaway comments from folk who abhor others' decisions (or any slight on their paradisaical Thailand) are expected but deserve nothing more than one of these: saai.gif.

I'll take my chances to better my kids' education and set us up for a possible return rather than sit on hands and watch opportunities pass us by while others prop up the bar and chase girls their granddaughters age whistling.gif (sorry, couldn't resist), thanks. Will be back; a change is as good as a rest at the very least, what what! Despite all the shenanigans of the past 12 months, having fallen out of love with Muang Thai, but having done everything there is to do, I think now's the time.

You learnt that little nugget on TV, right? WRONG learnt it from the London underground and bon voyage at school in french lessons

• Like 1

I can't stand Thailand. But I also can't stand the UK. So I split my time between the two and it seems to even out.

tongue.png

That's one hell of a happy life your living MJP....................wub.png

Oh I'm just flat out right now and it makes me miserable.

After 7 years in Thailand, I came home two months ago.

And yes, you are right, Charlie, a relationship did figure heavily in my departure.

I wanted real opportunity, and a better future for my wife.

Exactly correct. It is interesting to see a move back to America from the Thai

perspective. My wife has Thai friends and relatives in America. They all think

they are in paradise, and have no desire to ever return to Thailand except to

visit family.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Thailand living with cops piss testing foreigners (later found to be illegal) right on the street at my doorstep, it just felt uneasy.

Sounds like you just need to move out of the tourist bar area and get into real Thailand, never understood why people come all the way here to live along side a load of overweight white sock sandle wielding tourists in a smokey bar.

I must say, since leaving Bangkok and moving out into northern Thailand things are much nicer.

Actually I lived in the Thai bar area, one that I really loved living in for many reasons beyond the nightlife. I'm not a fan of the fanny pack, cheap beer sois I think you're referring to, either.

Like I said, I did consider moving to the north and I do like it up there, but in considering a change of scenery as a whole and all the factors involved I was drawn home, and it's a tremendously good feeling. I land in less than an hour!

Anyways , each to his own decision... good luck on your return home ...