Kids want adults to behave better, give up vices

Lite Beer

Kids want adults to behave better, give up vices
THE SUNDAY NATION

30251658-01_big.jpg?1420930335738

BANGKOK: -- AS CHILDREN enjoyed National Children's Day celebrations at government offices, military bases and other venues yesterday, a new poll revealed most kids want adults to shape up by giving up vices and generally behaving better. Meanwhile, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra urged kids to study hard, perform their duties diligently and have a volunteer spirit.

He was speaking at an event at the Thai-Japanese Sports Complex in Din Daeng. The complex - along with Vachirabenjatas Park (Rot Fai Park) - created six zones for fun activities that integrated the 12 main Thai values.

The BMA also unveiled the Children's Museum near the park yesterday, after it was closed for renovations for four years.

The authority will continue to stage activities to mark children's day at its 37 youth centres, 38 libraries and 438 sport centres and schools until next Sunday.

A Bangkok Poll released yesterday found that 51.5 per cent of children want their parents to refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking and gambling.

Almost 49 per cent want adults to stop fighting, 42.6 per cent want them to refrain from overspending and 34 per cent want them to stop being dishonest.

Most children (88.9 per cent) heard about the 12 main Thai values via school recitals (33.5 per cent) and TV and radio (18 per cent).

The poll of 1,210 kids aged 6-14 in the greater Bangkok area, also found that children want parents to take them to an amusement park (34 per cent), a planetarium/museum (13.7 per cent) and a zoo (12.3 per cent).

Most wanted to become a soldier followed by a teacher and a doctor.

The poll also found that the most desired gift item was an iPad/smart phone (29.2 per cent) followed by a computer desktop/notebook (22.2 per cent).

Among the various fun activities and gifts provided to kids yesterday, Ban Mai Khlong Khian School in Uthai Thani's Ban Rai district came up with an additional condition for kids wishing to attend its celebration - to get free goodies, each child had to collect garbage. Tambon Ban Mai Khlong Khian Administrative Organisation head Amnat Khonkhiew said the idea was to teach the young that doing a good thing and being disciplined was rewarded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kids-want-adults-to-behave-better-give-up-vices-30251658.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-11

• Like 1

Adults want kids to behave better also, get off the drugs and stop forming gangs at schools that attack and murder students at other schools. Don't kill your teachers because you don't agree with them.

• Like 2

Good to hear that even children want adults to give up 'Thainess'. Good for them. Maybe if the parents behaved better the children would have positive role models and you would see the children behave better, study more, stay out of gangs, refrain from involvement in drugs and all those good things.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good to hear that even children want adults to give up 'Thainess'. Good for them. Maybe if the parents behaved better the children would have positive role models and you would see the children behave better, study more, stay out of gangs, refrain from involvement in drugs and all those good things.

I think when the kids understand the true meaning of Thainess ,they will change their ways and views.

• Like 1

Adults want kids to behave better also, get off the drugs and stop forming gangs at schools that attack and murder students at other schools. Don't kill your teachers because you don't agree with them.

You are totally well aware that all those items you mentioned are represented only by a very tiny population. Except maybe the drug comment, legal to illegal, I don't know.

I would imagine that society is significantly harmed by the acts of dishonesty alone from adults than by the actions of the very few children involved in these offenses. But hardly a good comparison parents regular poor behaviour vs murder and gang activities.

I'm missing your point completely?

Edit and what is it with kids wanting to all of a sudden become Soldiers, Teachers and Doctors....... Really strange set of choices or suggestions as it maybe

Edited by jcisco

"...a new poll revealed most kids want adults to shape up by giving up vices and generally behaving better. "

They are just kids. I am sure their parents wanted the same things when they were children, and look how they turned out. This is just a phase in early Thainess which they will outgrow as soon as they develop adolescent hormones and greed.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

Unfortunately so many of these youngsters will be into Thainess already with their parents arranging ' passes ' in exams and entry to schools which they are not qualified for etc. Depending on who the children are their Thainess will increase as the family arranges higher education, employment and even their avoidance of the consequences of their actions as in brushes with the law.

• Like 1

"A Bangkok Poll released yesterday found that 51.5 per cent of children want their parents to refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking and gambling.

Almost 49 per cent want adults to stop fighting, 42.6 per cent want them to refrain from overspending and 34 per cent want them to stop being dishonest."

Ok maybe it's me (and I am firmly in the "all polls are complete BS camp", so admittedly I shouldn't care), but don't those percentages seem a little low?

Unfortunately so many of these youngsters will be into Thainess already with their parents arranging ' passes ' in exams and entry to schools which they are not qualified for etc. Depending on who the children are their Thainess will increase as the family arranges higher education, employment and even their avoidance of the consequences of their actions as in brushes with the law.

I think all these things above even happen in jolly old England

What the adult poll takers need and probably the children is more math. The percentages of what the children want their parents to stop doing is 177%. I thought it would have to add up to 100% or less.

"A Bangkok Poll released yesterday found that 51.5 per cent of children want their parents to refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking and gambling."

The other 48.5% of children didn't reply because they were too drunk, busy playing online poker or outside finishing a tailor-made...

• Like 1

Ahhh Thainess you will be the final nail in the stubborn coffin...

make sure to hit it hard and drive that final nail deep into the thai mentality.

Som nam naa.....deflect and blame--avoid--avoid--avoid---

Reminds me of the Family Circus cartoon and the Ghost "NOT ME"

Anyhoo..back to my Thainess.....wai2.gif

Oh bless the little dears.

Children and their fanciful ideas.

I am now 70.

When I was 10 or 11 I wanted to join the Royal Air Force.

I had a great 25 years with them.

Children and their fancful ideas?

It worked for me.

I guess so. But the RAF in the 1960's was part of a protective military alliance against a clear 'enemy' i.e. Soviet Union, with many interesting overseas bases etc. Also, you could learn a trade (I was at RAF Halton during 58-61 on the JT engine fitters course)

The Thai Army appears to me to be more an internal security force, yet an astonishing number of kids in this poll want to become soldiers. I suppose it's the uniform. Mind you, everyone in Thailand appears to wear uniforms with medals, so maybe I'm wrong.

I just wish, for thefuture of this country, that some would have said they wanted to be engineers or suchlike.

Funny, no-one wanted to drive a train!

Kids want whatever they're indoctrinated to want....its not as if they have any real understanding of the issues outside of the "good" / "bad" moral labels that get slapped on everthing....although they do get all their logic slapped out of them at school....

If kids cannot look up to their parents and adults for guidance, values, ethical behavior, and how to live their lives, who can they look to? It is the responsibility of any parent to behave in such a way, as to encourage their children to become decent human beings, is it not? Look, if you are not prepared to behave like a decent person, why have kids? Why raise kids only to reflect your twisted self? Some of us choose not to have kids for this very reason. LOL. But really, &lt;deleted&gt;?