New Chiang Mai Lamphun highway cutting through residential areas

Bung

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am pleased with the re-routing around BWT and agree in principle with WTK's post above. However, it appears those who proposed this road (as far back as 2007) have a vested interests in developing land in the Hang Dong > Lamphun area. Now they must obtain Government financing approval.

There was a lot supporting evidence put forward by the road's proponents [at local meetings] which appears false and IMO the design will cause choke points at Mahidol road and elsewhere unless connecting roads such as the 121 are similarly upgraded to cope with increased traffic flows.

NB: The #11 could be upgraded to 6 lanes or more, complete with flyovers and underpasses for less than half the cost of this new road.

If they build this new road it will enter Mahidol road just opposite MC Donald's , can you imagine 3 lanes of a six lane highway throwing additional traffic towards the lights at airport plaza?

I can if it means that those cars don't all end up at Don Chan intersection, to join the big traffic jam near Varee and Montfort every morning.

(Roads don't generate net extra traffic, the same traffic gets distributed more evenly)

• 2 weeks later...

I went out around the Lamphun end of all this and took some photos of the work that has begun. The road from Chiang Mai cannot just land in Lamphun, there isn't a road large enough to carry the traffic, so connections are being built, one to route 11, another into Lamphun centre and the third heading south on a new route to Bangkok. Hope this adds some background to the whole picture, which is that Chiang Mai and Lamphun are expected to grow on a very large scale and the current Route 11 connection to the south is really inadequate. I just wish they'd dual track the railway line.

The map - the black line is the road that is currently under construction. Most of it is already cleared and the foundations are being put in place, as you can see from the photos. Numbers represent the location of the photos, 1-10.

map.png

Photo 1 - this is a panoramic photograph of the junction with the 1136 which feeds through to the 11. I did also notice some work on the 11 a little further south where I think another connection to the 11 is being put in place. I posted this above when I took it last week.

image.jpg

Photo 2 - this is taken from the trees in the background of the picture above.

image.jpg

Photo 3, in the opposite direction to the photo above.

image.jpg

Photo 4 - facing back towards the picture above.

image.jpg

Photo 5 - Same location as above, but now facing south.

image.jpg

Photo 6 - a small section where they haven't yet laid the foundations.

image.jpg

Photo 7 - in the opposite direction, land clearing and demolition of a house in final stages.

image.jpg

Photo 8 - This is another road being built into the centre of Lamphun. I think this is where the road to Chiang Mai is starting.

image.jpg

Photo 9 - bitumen has been laid.

image.jpg

Photo 10 - as far as the road has gone to date, next to Lamphun hospital. There are plans to continue this road south through Baan Hong to meet the number 1 somewhere between Thoen and Tak.

image.jpg

If anyone thinks I have too much time on my hands, guilty as charged.

Thanks Naboo, very interesting.

In your opinion could the current construction simply link to a to a revamped 11,widened,flyovers etc?

I ask because at the meeting last Wednesday there was so much opposition to the new highway in it's entireity from the few hundred attendees that the highways authority were to reconsider the whole project and to review extension proposals to the 11 that were rejected a couple of years ago.

The 1136 would need widening, which would be no problem at all, nothing on either side but junk yards. No reason the 11 wouldn't be sufficient with upgrades, but that would mean years of hell whilst the upgrades were put in place - see the current situation on the Mae Rim road. By my reckoning, the 1136/11 intersection would need floyovers, bridges over three other junctions, more flyovers are needed at the ring roads on the way into Chiang Mai as currently no right turns are possible onto them.

In all honesty, though, the plans for this new road are in place, people in positions of power have already bought the land either side and there is no stopping it.

The 1136 would need widening, which would be no problem at all, nothing on either side but junk yards. No reason the 11 wouldn't be sufficient with upgrades, but that would mean years of hell whilst the upgrades were put in place - see the current situation on the Mae Rim road. By my reckoning, the 1136/11 intersection would need floyovers, bridges over three other junctions, more flyovers are needed at the ring roads on the way into Chiang Mai as currently no right turns are possible onto them.

In all honesty, though, the plans for this new road are in place, people in positions of power have already bought the land either side and there is no stopping it.

If that is the case as the highway was cancelled by the last elected governent and resurrected by the current incumbents you can bet there is little investment of a red hue involved!

Personally, I dont think Naboo's construction is directly linked with the proposed Chiang Mai Lamphun road as the latter would be some 5 or 6 years away if it ever goes ahead. Is it feasible the different agencies/Amphurs could plan this far ahead?

What may be interesting is to establish which development company(s) hold land in the proposed corridors. whistling.gif

Personally, I dont think Naboo's construction is directly linked with the proposed Chiang Mai Lamphun road

The only reason the stretch of road has been built is to link up with the new Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.

Edited by naboo

Personally, I dont think Naboo's construction is directly linked with the proposed Chiang Mai Lamphun road

The only reason the stretch of road has been built is to link up with the new Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.

What do you base this opinion on? Do you know which companies have purchased the land? I have my own suspicions which may coincide with yours in which case the CM/lamphun connection is closer to reality than they suggest.

Team Group have undertaken all feasibity work, but on whose behalf???

And to also hook up with a new highway that will basically follow the 106 at Mae Pa on the 1.

What do you base this opinion on? Do you know which companies have purchased the land? I have my own suspicions which may coincide with yours in which case the CM/lamphun connection is closer to reality than they suggest.

Team Group have undertaken all feasibity work, but on whose behalf???

Speculation on my side, but those in the know years ago would have made sure their investments were made before anything was made public, and they will make sure this goes through. Its how it works, isn't it?

• 1 month later...

The latest news is that the Chiangmai end/start of the highway will be around Kwun Vieng on the 121, no longer up to Mahidol road!

Looks like it would result in a lot of traffic being directed via the Chiangmai-Hod road in to Chiangma.

The 121 has been built in that area clearly with expansion to two lanes either direction in mind - all the shop houses to the south are 100yards off the highway. They must be planning links onto the 700 year ring road as well? Would be absolute hell otherwise.

I notice on facebook various shady agents trying to punt off houses on the east side of BWT with no mention of the potential risks of the location.

Please read the latest posts.The road is not going near Banwangtan now, the efforts of the residents were effective.

In fact the new route from the 121, Kwan Vieng, will probably push prices up.

The 121 has been built in that area clearly with expansion to two lanes either direction in mind - all the shop houses to the south are 100yards off the highway. They must be planning links onto the 700 year ring road as well? Would be absolute hell otherwise.

Yes, there is nothing close to the existing road on the south side from Chiangmai -Hod road right down to the the new LPG gas station so was probably factored in. The highway coming in there would create a loop back down the new canal road extension highway across the 108 and on to Lamphun around the 106?

As you said, it will be interesting to see what additional links etc are planned.

I notice on facebook various shady agents trying to punt off houses on the east side of BWT with no mention of the potential risks of the location.

Please read the latest posts.The road is not going near Banwangtan now, the efforts of the residents were effective.

In fact the new route from the 121, Kwan Vieng, will probably push prices up.

I and many others never did believe the road would go through Banwangtan .The cost of resumption of expensive land and homes ensured that.

The alternative is far cheaper for them to acquire land and construct.Fairly obvious.

• 1 month later...

And exactly what should've been proposed in the first place facepalm.gif

And was put forward at this years first meetings.

#121 is undergoing an upgrade with #11 and lamphun road works already underway.

And exactly what should've been proposed in the first place facepalm.gif

And was put forward at this years first meetings.

#121 is undergoing an upgrade with #11 and lamphun road works already underway.

Proposed and rejected some years ago and now full circle. TIT