Help with Bringing two Cats to Thailand

Hoping to bring over the wife's two moggie from UK to Thailand in April

Have tried to access the department of Livestock website in Thailand for some info but the English translation of the page is defunked ?

Has anybody recently brought in a Cat from the UK that can give us a Laymans Chronological list of things that are required

All paperwork in that's required ?, All Vaccinations in order ??

Many Thanks

• Like 1

Hi we brought 3 dogs and a parrot over from the UK, as long as you have all the required paperwork for the cats ie pet passport all inocculations rabies etc you should be fine, ask your vet they should know what is required or they can find out for you, I also would enquire with the airlines we used Lufthansa from Manchester and the 3 large dogs went on as excess baggage at a cost of around £500 for all 3 so your cats would not be all that much as it goes on the weight of the cat carrier, plus the cats, also when coming through customs you will have to declare the cats and pay a nominal fee in duty, we paid 1,000 baht der dog, also when you go through pet quarantine the paperwork there will cost around 100 baht, hope this has helped

Edited by FrankH
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply & link, however it's still not very clear what to do with that form ?

Do I print it off fill it in & email back asap ? And to What email address ?

Do They then email me a permit ? I then take the permit to my Vet in the UK who will stamp it and issue a health certificate ?

Sorry for sounding so stupid but it's far from clear ?

FROM MEMORY

We took our cat to Aus from Japan 7 years ago when she was 7yo. I did some research then.

To enter Aus, we are talking two microchips, vaccinations etc etc and THEN a month in

quarantine (we visited most days, very nice cages and people in Western Australia.)

It depends on the country, and if "foot and mouth" disease is present.

I contemplated bringing her here, but remember that you can bring pets into Thailand no problem,

but they will never be allowed back in to Aus,. No pet can

be exported to Aus from a country with "foot and mouth".

NS

PS These Paris Hiltons and Justin Biebers that travel with a pet on their

head/shoulder/bag/assistant, often find them confiscated with lots of paperwork to fill out!

Why on earth, anyone would want to add to the enormous cat or dog population in Thailand is beyond me.

Why on earth anyone would want to throw their sperm around and add to the enormous unwanted people population in Thailand, is beyond me.

When we took our cat to Thailand, we didn't download or fill out any forms for the Thai authorities. The vet took care of the pet passport, vaccinations and whatever else was required from a 'health' perspective. The airline (Thai Airways) took care of the transportation documents and all other paperwork.

When we arrived in BKK, we fronted the appropriate counter, let them look at our cat, showed the pet passport, filled out a form, paid a fee (don't recall the cost but it was minimal) and we were on our way.

Things have since changed but our cat travelled in her cage in business class. She was put in the overhead locker during take-off and landing but sat on the arm-rests, between us (within her cage) during the flight.

• Like 1

Why on earth, anyone would want to add to the enormous cat or dog population in Thailand is beyond me.

For some people the pet is an equal member of the family. If a suitable home cannot be found then for some people it is like leaving one child behind. I am in such a spot. I have to resolve the issue with my cat so I can relocate. It is tough. You just cannot throw the animal out and forget about it.

I fully sympathise and understand the dilemmas of the author of this thread.

Amen

Hi Jason,

This is long winded but contains absolutely everything you need.

In September 2014, we relocated from the UK to Thailand and took our 2 cats. We used 'Passport for Pets' relocation company in the UK and all went smoothly. They were fantastic but it cost an absolute arm and a leg in the end. The process is ultimately simple but trying to ascertain what and when things are needed is extremely stressful, especially given that before you are willing to take your cats with you and not leave them behind, speaks volumes about how much you care for them. You can do it and they will be fine. It was one of the most stressful experiences I've had (and believe me I'm not easily stressed).

Basically you need the following documents: ...

Good luck with the move. Sounds daunting I know, but they'll settle in fine and you'll be glad you took them. Let me know if there's anything else your not sure about and I'll try and help.

Fantastic and very helpful post!

Thank you. wai2.gif

I am importing my cat from USA, and I just obtained the import permit from Thailand. I used the link to the Department of Livestock Development that Neinke provided (Thanks, Neinke!):

http://aqi.dld.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=297:importation-of-live-animals&catid=80:kmresearch-&Itemid=123

On this site, the information indicated that I should send an e-mail to the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

The email should have the following attached documents:

--Copy of my passport

--Vaccination Information (from the vet -- rabies for cat, also leptospirosis for dogs)

--Flight Itinerary

--Prospective Address in Thailand

--Address in USA

--Photograph of animal

I sent the e-mail and waited..... nothing. So I went back to the DLD website, and I got the two phone numbers for the Suvarnaphumi office: 66-2134-0731 and 66-2134-0732. (You will have to fill in the international dialing numbers for calling from the UK. For me in the US it is 011-66-2-2134-0731, but it may be different for you)

I called the first number (ending in 0731) repeatedly and got no answer. When I called the second number ((ending in 0732) it was answered. Luckily I speak rudimentary Thai, and I was able to get across to the person who answered what I was trying to do. They put me on hold and checked their e-mail but could not find it, so I sent it again while I was on the phone, and they received it while I was talking to them, and they told me they would respond in three days. In about 36 hours from the phone call, I received the completed import permit and additional instructions.

So, if you have someone in your home who can speak Thai, I recommend you call the office (using the 0732 number) and send the e-mail while you are on the phone with them. That worked very well for me.

We have yet to travel but I don't anticipate any difficulties upon arrival, now that I have the Thai Import Permit in hand.

I have done this 4 years ago and there is quite a lot of paperwork involved. First stop is your vet. I still have scanned copies of all the paperwork which might help.

I used Thai Air who were very helpful but the excess baggage charge was about £400 for a small cat, buy a light one and make sure it is IATA spec. The carrier with cat is taken in the cabin and was by my feet in a window seat.

At Heathrow one of you should accompany the cat after check-in but you are not allowed to take the cat in the general flight-side area. I forget how this worked as my daughter did this and it may have now changed at Terminal 2.

Thai airways were very helpful when we invited our Siamese (yes, have another snigger. It would be dead by now) to Thailand. There was an empty seat available so the cat even got a seat to itself. I phoned about 6 weeks before leaving and they checked my documents.

Well there is already an enormous human population here too but you do not see an issue of them adding to that!

To some people, bringing their pets is like bringing their kids, would you have them abandon them.

I get an impression the pets will be well cared for by these guys, unlike the indigenous population

• Like 1

I brought two cats from the U.S. 3 years ago. The process should be about the same.

Find the form on Thai customs site for importation of live animals and down load it. There is one for pets on that site.

It will give you the list of vaccinations needed.

Go to a vet in the UK and get the certificate of health completed and signed the the vet. It helps to go to a vet with experience in exporting animals.

After that you go to the UK government agricultural office and have the form stamped. In the U.S., this is was a small USDA office. The Thai customs folks need the form stamped by a government official.

I brought the cats in one large crate and shipped them as live luggage. It cost me about $50. It is a lot more if you ship them as Cargo and they do not stay with you.

Things change in Thailand, so I would strongly advise that you spend some time on the internet and and get the forms. Better, since you are in Thailand, go to a customs office and get the forms.

good luck

• Like 1

I am importing my cat from USA, and I just obtained the import permit from Thailand. I used the link to the Department of Livestock Development that Neinke provided (Thanks, Neinke!):

http://aqi.dld.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=297:importation-of-live-animals&catid=80:kmresearch-&Itemid=123

On this site, the information indicated that I should send an e-mail to the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

The email should have the following attached documents:

--Copy of my passport

--Vaccination Information (from the vet -- rabies for cat, also leptospirosis for dogs)

--Flight Itinerary

--Prospective Address in Thailand

--Address in USA

--Photograph of animal

I sent the e-mail and waited..... nothing. So I went back to the DLD website, and I got the two phone numbers for the Suvarnaphumi office: 66-2134-0731 and 66-2134-0732. (You will have to fill in the international dialing numbers for calling from the UK. For me in the US it is 011-66-2-2134-0731, but it may be different for you)

I called the first number (ending in 0731) repeatedly and got no answer. When I called the second number ((ending in 0732) it was answered. Luckily I speak rudimentary Thai, and I was able to get across to the person who answered what I was trying to do. They put me on hold and checked their e-mail but could not find it, so I sent it again while I was on the phone, and they received it while I was talking to them, and they told me they would respond in three days. In about 36 hours from the phone call, I received the completed import permit and additional instructions.

So, if you have someone in your home who can speak Thai, I recommend you call the office (using the 0732 number) and send the e-mail while you are on the phone with them. That worked very well for me.

We have yet to travel but I don't anticipate any difficulties upon arrival, now that I have the Thai Import Permit in hand.

This is great help, thanks. I've also been waiting impatiently for them to reply to the email which they've confirmed that they received when I last called. I'm going to call again when they're open and see if I can't get them to respond.

I'm flying in 7 days so this is a little rushed. What other additional instructions did they give you after they sent you the import permit?

I don't think you'll be able to get the cats there with you in 7 days.

As for any country in the world, there are the vaccinations, paper work, chips etc. You have left it a bit late for them to travel with you. Jeez, i tried moving two cats across the border from Switzerland to France - all of 15 kilometers - and we were turned back!!

I wish you luck though, i for one if i had ever had to go anywhere to live the first priority would be the beasts!! Forget the rest!!

And make sure you get international microchips in them.

Edited by Patsycat

Well there is already an enormous human population here too but you do not see an issue of them adding to that!

To some people, bringing their pets is like bringing their kids, would you have them abandon them.

I get an impression the pets will be well cared for by these guys, unlike the indigenous population

You're patient. I'd say that someone who doesn't see any difference between a pet cat and a stray cat probably can't.

I don't think you'll be able to get the cats there with you in 7 days.

As for any country in the world, there are the vaccinations, paper work, chips etc. You have left it a bit late for them to travel with you. Jeez, i tried moving two cats across the border from Switzerland to France - all of 15 kilometers - and we were turned back!!

I wish you luck though, i for one if i had ever had to go anywhere to live the first priority would be the beasts!! Forget the rest!!

And make sure you get international microchips in them.

I've actually been working on getting my cat to Thailand for months now; I knew I would move when I adopted him 5 months ago, so I've actually started early! Had all his vaccinations and microchip done when he was old enough.

The only thing I was missing was the import certificate from Bangkok. I had emailed them multiple times in the last month, called so many times, and finally I stayed up last night and waited for them to open office.. and called them again. I told them I was flying on Monday and therefore needed the import certificate today. They basically wrote up the import certificate right there in the call.

I woke up with two emails, one sent about an hour after I called asking me to reconfirm my Thai address, but the second one was sent a few hours later that included the certificate, so I guess they didn't really care what my address was.

I would've definitely preferred to have my import certificate ages ago, but I am relieved that I got it on the last working day before my flight.

Good luck to everyone who is going through this process!

• Like 1