Chiang Mai retirement visa office still accepting proof income from us consul letter ?

jameson2wheels

Same attitude was expressed on converting visa exempt and tourist visa over to the first part of a retirement extension. Guess what happened?whistling.gif

Given the Thai law clearly offers the alternative (income or cash-in-the-bank), Nancy's comment is a bit more credible than your sky-is-falling prediction.

Khwaibah, I never expressed any confidence that CM Immigration would continue to be allowed to convert visa exempt and tourist visas to 90 day O visas as the first part of the retirement extension. I was very gratified that CM was able to continue the practice as it discontinued in other offices, but puzzled as to why the final OK was moved out of the local office and into the Region 5 office. That was the beginning of the end, actually. The handwriting was on the wall at that point and I think it may explain why the CM Immigration officials delayed the OK of the video of the 22 October meeting with the CM Expats Club. They've finally given their OK to post that video on-line -- but CEC has to edit the part about the two-step process.

We're working on that and hope to have it on the CEC website soon.

Nancy there is a serious back lash by immigration against less than honest retirement and yes marriage extensions. This started with Pattaya then Phuket and then Hua Hin. Their ability to issue a conversion from visa exempt and tourist visa to an O being revoked. Anyone in those areas have to go to Bangkok or out of country. This left only Chiang Mai as the last major harbor of expats. In fairness Chiang Mai has NOT been been known for an abundance of this practice but as a blushing bride in white it is not and certain things could and can be obtained in Chiang Mai. With the political climate that has been about for years between Bangkok and Chiang Mai it was just a matter of time and Bangkok is acting. Two major developments have and are going down in other immigration office in Thailand. Refusal for any 90 day reporting if your extension is from outside the area. Example if your on a retirement extension from Phuket and your in Korat the answer is a flat no. The second development is if you show up with just an embassy letter for income you will be required to show funds inside Thailand. I have seen numerous individual turned away (USA, UK Aussies , Norwegians). That proof of funds inside Thailand can be just a bank book, even with zero amount in it or an atm slip for a withdraw. Why have they come down on this embassy letter. Its been known for ever that a large portion of applicants lie and if a person wanted they could even get a dodgy letter for a price. These other two developments may not hit Chiang Mai then again they may.) Chiang Mai is not immune. Follow the threads on the "Thai visa, and work permit thread", there are numerous threads about the ongoing and individuals are screaming. Time will tell which way the winds will blow.

just to be clear..you gotta show them the equivalent of 800K in a US Bank. Also, you can get a human on the phone in LA; not so easy in DC. Walk-in service was 2 days for O-A. They don't take cash.

It does not have to be in a USA bank. At least when I applied in Houston, Texas I was able to use my investments in Europe.

A) Houston is an Honorary Consulate....http://thaiconsulatehouston.com/ not even taking mail apps until further notice. B) that was not likely for a year, so they knew you would have to show the THB in three months to Immigration.

I guess I am not surprised at the out of context comments, suggestions, and psuedo or realtime accusations flying over my simple question. Thank you to those who answered my question. To the others I guess the internet is a place to parade your thoughts and feelings about any topic you might surmise is valid, and extrapolate some of the wildest conjectures. My my I think some people have too much time on their hands.