Israeli police: Palestinian stabs nine passengers on Tel Aviv bus

webfact

Israeli police: Palestinian stabs passengers on Tel Aviv bus
By IAN DEITCH

JERUSALEM (AP) — A Palestinian man stabbed nine people, wounding some of them seriously, on a bus in central Tel Aviv before he was chased down, shot and arrested, Israeli police said Wednesday, describing the assault as a "terror attack." The Islamic militant Hamas group praised the stabbing.

The assault was the latest in a spate of attacks in which Palestinians have used knives, acid and vehicles as weapons in recent months, leaving dead and injured. Police identified the assailant as a Palestinian from the West Bank and said he had entered Israel illegally.

The assailant, who was on the bus himself, travelling with the other passengers, began stabbing people, including the driver, then managed to get out of the bus and started fleeing the scene.

Officers from a prison service who happened to be nearby and saw the bus swerving out of control and a man running away, gave chase, shot the man in the leg, wounding him lightly and subsequently arrested him.

"We believe it was a terror attack," said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld. He said four people were seriously hurt and another five sustained lighter wounds. The stabber was in custody and the police are questioning him now, he said.

The stabbing is the latest in a type of "lone-wolf" attacks that have plagued Israel in recent months. About a dozen people have been killed in Palestinian attacks, including five people killed with guns and meat cleavers in a bloody assault on a Jerusalem synagogue.

Hamas, the Islamic militant group that controls the Gaza Strip did not claim responsibility but praised Wednesday's attack as "brave and heroic" in a tweet by Izzat Risheq, a Hamas leader residing in Qatar.

The stabbing is a "natural response to the occupation and its terrorist crimes against our people," Risheq said.

Israeli officials say the attacks stem from incitement by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and other Palestinian leaders.

Most of the violence has occurred in Jerusalem, though there have been other attacks in Tel Aviv and the West Bank.

In Jerusalem, the violence came after months of tensions between Jews and Palestinians in east Jerusalem — the section of the city the Palestinians demand as their future capital. The area experienced unrest and near-daily attacks by Palestinians following a wave of violence last summer, capped by a 50-day war between Israel and Hamas militants in Gaza.

Much of the recent unrest has stemmed from tensions surrounding a key holy site in Jerusalem's Old City. It is the holiest site for Jews, who call it the Temple Mount because of the revered Jewish Temples that stood there in biblical times. Muslims refer to it as the Noble Sanctuary, and it is their third holiest site, after Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia.
___

Associated Press writer Karin Laub contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-21

Israel needs to address the core issues that drives these men to violence against them.

You mean Israel needs to address the issue of Islam? unsure.png

Clearly baiting again...I don't know how you get away with it all the time.....but I'll respond;

No, I don't mean that at all (as you well know).

• Like 2

I think you're right. When you're pushed and pushed, provoked and terrorised, eventually you break and go crazy.

I hope that you keep that in mind when Israel responds to these terrorist scum.

I thought they said they had the lone wolf in custody already?

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

The stabbing is a "natural response to the occupation and its terrorist crimes against our people," Risheq said.

Yes, yes, nature provided this man with a knife, which he plucked from the native Knife Tree. Just glad he didn't come across the local Holy Hand Grenade Bush a little further up the road.

Oh Risheq akbar, praise be to Risheq for presenting the real culprit: Mother Nature...

When asked whether the stabbing could be a sociocultural response due to upbringing and political indoctrination, Risheq asked somewhat hesitantly: "ahem,...what was the middle part, again?"

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

In my opinion these low-tech, lone wolf style attacks against the occupiers are going to increase.

I think you're right. When you're pushed and pushed, provoked and terrorised, eventually you break and go crazy.

Israel needs to address the core issues that drives these men to violence against them.

So, basically, a free pass for any act of terrorism against Israeli citizens?

I have no idea how you could possibly jump to that conclusion.

Why do you insist on either word-twisting, semantics, or as in this case, jumping wildly to an illogical and unreasonable conclusion? Take off the faeces-brown spectacles with which you read every one of my posts.

if this terrorist act against Israelis is said to fundamentally be Israel's fault and responsibility, then the why not play the same card each and every time? Perpetrators are pushed, provoked, terrorized, break and go crazy - they do not do this of their own volition, they are driven into taking the action, they are insane, not responsible for their own deeds. Since we can't blame them, lets try and find the roots of their madness - and, of course, there's but one answer to that in your book.

I say a free pass, because without responsibility there is no inherent badness of evil to the action. The actions of a madman are not judged by us as evil. We are encouraged to understand, to have compassion.

This is exactly the same mentality which accepts the concept of ongoing "lone wolf" attacks n Europe and elsewhere.

Naw thats rubbish

After they worked out he was a cowardly terrorist knifer they should have shot him multiple times in the knees and thrown him over the wall back into the Palestinian slum he came from.

There is no Bs that can explain his actions other than some rabid dog theory that defies logic. He is a mongrel dog and needed putting down for being rabid.

In my opinion these low-tech, lone wolf style attacks against the occupiers are going to increase.

Their brains? Their brains are the core issue. I suppose you're right. They should just round the crazies up, lobotomize them and then their little misfiring brains won't tell them to go blow a bunch of women and children on a bus. Cannot reason with crazy.

Crazy is the way the Palestinians have been treated. When one has nothing to lose, anymore, they lose it!

• Like 2

Because every past case of Arab attacks on Jews has made Israel given Arabs more and more free reign, yes?

Keep firm and commited to that failed strategy by all means. Don't come whining about the end result though.

Because every past case of Arab attacks on Jews has made Israel given Arabs more and more free reign, yes?

Keep firm and commited to that failed strategy by all means. Don't come whining about the end result though.

People complain about the walls and fences ... they weren't put up because they are pretty, they were put up to control suicide bombers. I guess knives are harder to control.

Hanan Ashrawi, a senior official with the Palestine Liberation Organisation, condemned the Tel Aviv attack. However, she added in quotes carried by AP news agency: "You cannot have a violent military occupation with full impunity and then expect all its victims to be calm and quiet."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30910956

I agree. What goes around, comes around.

Every day, illegal Israeli colonizers in the West Bank attack Palestinians and their property, the IDF supervises the demolition of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem, 1.6 million people suffer in blockaded Gaza.

The man was not affiliated with any group according to his friends. He just flipped. He'd had enough.

End the occupation, and you end these incidents.

Voters in Israel have a choice coming up. One would hope that this incident will cause them to consider the consequences of that choice.