Pattaya’s ‘big dig’ begins

Rimmer

Pattaya’s ‘big dig’ begins

n1-tunnel1.jpg
PATTAYA:--After years of planning and months of delays, construction of a subterranean traffic-bypass tunnel under Sukhumvit Road has begun.

Contractors on Jan. 13 began clearing the construction zone, a kilometer-long stretch of Sukhumvit near the Central Road intersection. They will remove 14 high-mast electric posts, seven billboards, two directional signs, five traffic lights, 256 trees, a large LED screen and the pedestrian bridge near Pattaya School No. 5.

The center median, currently a flower bed, also will be removed and the dirt paved to create an additional traffic lane while side lanes are closed over the next three years. - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-s-big-dig-begins-44454#sthash.HjDH4g1P.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-01-23 footer_n.gif

Removing the pedestrian bridge?bah.gif

So no replacement then?

I wonder how many people are killed every year just trying to cross Sukhumwit ON FOOT?

Gonna be very exciting times for pedestrians without a pedestrian bridge, since on the southbound side of sukhumvit at Pattaya klang the outer lane has right of way even when the light is red.

Can you imagine, 3 lanes of cars waiting for the red light (maybe), pedestrian crossing sukhumvit, the at the 4th lane, Wham...............see you in heaven.

Edited by Anthony5

So no replacement then?

I wonder how many people are killed every year just trying to cross Sukhumwit ON FOOT?

It shouldn't be a problem given where it is after all who is likely to use a footbridge over a major road right next to a school?

• Like 2

So no replacement then?

It shouldn't be a problem given where it is after all who is likely to use a footbridge over a major road right next to a school?

You've got a vehicle, right? facepalm.gif

So no replacement then?

Actually i have though i do regularly use that footbridge when i occasionally walk into town as it can be extremely difficult to cross there. My comment was meant to be sarcastic drawing attention to the point that this particular footbridge is used by a lot of kids going to the school it is in front of.

Sorry ... dense of me.

Not to worry. When it really get's "murky", the Motorbike-Taxis will get you across Sukhumvit just as before. New routes maybe, costs a little more. They grew up in LOS and know that "loosely organized chaos" is just part of daily life. Not only what concerns traffic.

The ones that complain the most are "Limousine- Farangs". Not motorbike Farangs. I can assure anyone, that by choosing the right Motorbike Taxi Guy that knows his way around, it does not take more time to go from A to B than 10 years ago in Pattaya.

By visiting Pattaya, would I take my car along? Hardly, unless I was planning to spend half of my recreation-time in traffic-jams.

But on a more serious note: If uncorrected, eventually Pattaya will suffer a traffic implosion. Since it will not be feasible to dispossess half of the Thai Land owners in Pattaya in order to WIDEN THE STREETS the only remedy remaining: Strategically placed large parking lots surrounding Pattaya. Shuttle services from those parking lots to Pattaya-City. Once in Pattaya, Baht Taxi's & Motorbike Taxis available only. Completely sufficient and no more traffic-jams.

Road-Traffic suppliers of goods for Restaurants, Hotels, Stores, Bars etc. only allowed between the hours of 04:00 AM until 11:00 AM.

Let's all hope that the people at city-hall (Pattayas Finest) will come at least to a similar conclusion.

Otherwise, by wanting to sell your Patty-Condo at some future date, having to explain that it will take 24 hours to reach the outskirts of Pattaya and an additional 48 hours to reach the location of your condo, you will have to deal with extremely reluctant buyers, I am afraid.

Let's be confident. City-Hall has done plenty of good for Pattaya. Above all, they have cleaned up Beach Road. Hookers were deprived of sitting opportunities and now have to stand upright or go down into a classical crouching / sitting position that Farangs usually bring into association with a person performing toilet-procedures. Progress can not be stopped.

Nevermind, still love Pattaya and love to visit just like a carefree tourist on vacation. Sold my condo's a couple of years ago that I bought between 1997 and 2003.

- There is a time to join a party and there is a time to leave a party.

Cheers.

Every time someone comes up with this Strategically placed large parking lots surrounding Pattaya idea , they can never answer one simple question WHERE are you going to locate the car park ?

The only empty lot that I have seen in the last several years is the one located at Suk and Khao Talo

This, "project" must have been dreamt up by the same genius, "think tank" in city hall that removed the decades old palm trees (which not only were nice and suited the beachfront, but provided shade too) from beach road, erected giant LED/LCD screens at the busiest traffic junctions (to distract drivers), and installed traffic lights / pedestrian crossings on beach and 2nd road (that either don't work or are not obeyed by motorists making them incredibly dangerous), the list goes on.......

There are some things that only one nationality on the planet has the ability to imagine, and the rest of us are left perplexed!!!

• Like 1

So no replacement then?

An injection of sarcasm solution needed for you, J.T.

As a Senior M&E Tunnel Manager, from my view of the progress of the non complicated civil construction projects in Pattaya of recent times is anything to go by. My advice to residents is to hibernate for 10 years.

• Like 1

Pity they never chose to use a TBM, it would have been a job for life....

Do they have TBMs (Tunnel Boring Machines) in Thailand? I'm thinking they might in Bangkok. I get the impression that when it comes to complex engineering in this city, the local authorities are a bit behind the game and it's almost as if they don't want to lose face by asking for help from outside. There must be plenty of ex-pats in Pattaya with relevant experience, your good self included. I can't see that money would be a problem; the place must be awash with it.

Ahhh Roads in Thailand.....Directly linked to bribery and corruption.

Tunnel machines...They would not fit into the mega division of wealth coz they could actually complete the job. That is the first thing you have to avoid.

It has to drag on to infinity and beyond.

Remember the labour costs are the cheapest part of the deal.

All the contractors with their own agenda and time frame that bares no relationship to project management planning.

The only reason the job is on hold is probably background bickering about the money...

Pity they never chose to use a TBM, it would have been a job for life....

Do they have TBMs (Tunnel Boring Machines) in Thailand? I'm thinking they might in Bangkok. I get the impression that when it comes to complex engineering in this city, the local authorities are a bit behind the game and it's almost as if they don't want to lose face by asking for help from outside. There must be plenty of ex-pats in Pattaya with relevant experience, your good self included. I can't see that money would be a problem; the place must be awash with it.
Certainly do have TBM's in Thailand

Note to self: Avoid Pattaya city for the next 5 years.

I bet you can't.

Removing the pedestrian bridge?

So no replacement then?

Mostly the ones that habitually avoid using pedestrian bridges anyway?

5 years at a minimum...

Anyone remember the nightmare that went on for years on the Thappraya Rd project between Pattaya and Jomtien?

You mean that nightmare has ended?