Hooters opening in Pattaya!

MZurf

the sign on the front says opening august.

there is zero chance of this as the clock is ticking and they have yet to start construction.

the location has been cleared of the old structures but nothing else has been done.

no materials or workers on site and front shutters padlocked

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen the sign announcing Hooters on Beach road.

while the sign on the shutters closing off the site still says august i have seen an e-mail from the hooters vice president of development in the states saying now projected date is october.

as of today no work has been started on the site other than the removal of existing structures which was completed a couple of months ago.

while the sign on the shutters closing off the site still says august i have seen an e-mail from the hooters vice president of development in the states saying now projected date is october.

as of today no work has been started on the site other than the removal of existing structures which was completed a couple of months ago.

Much more logical to have it ready for (what passes for) high season.

• 2 weeks later...

While the construction of Hooters languishes, McDonald's are racing ahead with a huge, new outlet right next to Pizza Hut at the Beach end of Soi 13/1. I would assume they will subsequently vacate Royal Garden so it will be interesting to see what will move in there as well. Is there any fast food franchise operated by Minor Holdings that hasn't opened in Royal Garden yet?

• Like 1

Probably has something to do with that pesky US law that says US businesses can't bribe foreign government officials.

I used to work for a very ethical US company that refused to pay bribes (we sold to 50 or so countries), and it often hindered us.

They'll eventually work it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the reason for the delay.

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday walked past and still nothing has been done to the site

the nearby mcdonalds at the bottom of soi post office missed the sheduled opening date of aug 14th but look like they will make the amended one of sept 2

Edited by striderman

Probably has something to do with that pesky US law that says US businesses can't bribe foreign government officials.

I used to work for a very ethical US company that refused to pay bribes (we sold to 50 or so countries), and it often hindered us.

They'll eventually work it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the reason for the delay.

I was of the opinion that the delay was to fit with the "guaranteed" uptick in tourist arrivals when the regular high season kicks off.

With oil at a 6 year low, the Chinese devaluation and the ensuing global shock waves with £73.9bn wiped off the FTSE 100 today, as the London stock market suffered its biggest tumble in over six years, I doubt there will be a Hooters in Pattaya at all.

BIG DEAL- not..... Went to Hooters in Shanghai China, bloody expensive food and drinks...sort of like a TGIFs or some other sterile cookie-cutter franchise. It will not last more than a couple years since the clientele that visits Pattaya are a bit frugal and walk go down the street to find cheaper beer and have more fun with the ladies, (The Hooters in Shanghai attracts the local working expats and curious visiting tourists).

I totally disagree. It will be a huge hit with the family crowd.

A taste of weird America for the unwashed Pattaya masses who could NEVER get a visa to actually go there!

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/18/business/la-fi-mo-hooters-revamp-family-20130118

The hope, according to Hooters Chief Marketing Officer Dave Henniger, is that customers view the revamped store as “the ideal environment to kick back and relax after work, get together to watch their favorite sports team and enjoy a delicious meal with their family.”

After all, there’s nothing like barely concealed cleavage to perk up dinner with the kids.

You can't take the family to a PING PONG show, but you can take them to HOOTERS.

Speaking as someone who has never been and never will go, except if you're paying.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

BIG DEAL- not..... Went to Hooters in Shanghai China, bloody expensive food and drinks...sort of like a TGIFs or some other sterile cookie-cutter franchise. It will not last more than a couple years since the clientele that visits Pattaya are a bit frugal and walk go down the street to find cheaper beer and have more fun with the ladies, (The Hooters in Shanghai attracts the local working expats and curious visiting tourists).

as per the clientele that are a bit frugal and search for cheaper beer and ladies...

well, I thought the Brits already went home....

• Like 1

I totally disagree. It will be a huge hit with the family crowd.

A taste of weird America for the unwashed Pattaya masses who could NEVER get a visa to actually go there!

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/18/business/la-fi-mo-hooters-revamp-family-20130118

The hope, according to Hooters Chief Marketing Officer Dave Henniger, is that customers view the revamped store as “the ideal environment to kick back and relax after work, get together to watch their favorite sports team and enjoy a delicious meal with their family.”

After all, there’s nothing like barely concealed cleavage to perk up dinner with the kids.

You can't take the family to a PING PONG show, but you can take them to HOOTERS.

Speaking as someone who has never been and never will go, except if you're paying.

There's a thread in the Bangkok forum about Hooter's opening imminently on Sukhumvit Soi 15 (the old Beer Vault) and Hooter's girls on the sidewalks handing out flyers already.

So you can pop up to Bangkok on the pretense that you are buying something you can't get in Pattaya, drop by Hooter's where they won't know you from Adam and nobody in Pattaya will be any the wiser. You can carry on the pretense you have never been and never will go as well.

Contrary to popular opinion there are plenty of people in Pattaya who are non-frugal. The question is if Hooters can attract enough of them. OTOH, if they can attract enough of the visiting weekend and holiday Bangkokians they should do OK.

It's probably not a place I will visit often but I'm happy I will have the choice.

attachicon.gifHooters_Slide710x410_20140925-02.jpg

10 chicken wings for 399 Baht sounds like it will be giving Pattayas

Cheap Charlies a heart attack..

There will be nothing cheap about Hooters prices...

Smacks head! Really? At the terrific Fatty's American diner in Bangkok, 6 super wings (attested to by 6 people from 4 nations) are 95 baht. Just for comparisons sake.

Their wings come with a view, innit?

I guess the view is an American thing. Like the strip clubs in movies. Watching and tipping is fine, if you touch the lady your in trouble. I never got that concept. I don't believe hooters will be successful here. Wrong city and wrong time.

Like the strip clubs in movies? No in real life bro! Get a life;-)

I don't care if they succeed or not and I would never eat there anyway. But I think they probably will succeed here with tourists who want some spice but short of ping pong.

I'd go & have a look (once)

I don't do go go bars as its too in your face. The birds want & know how to make money. No issues with that, it's their job.

I expect hooters to be much the same albeit the birds won't (officially) be available for 'side orders'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk