Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Well Poch has a job at half time.

Unsurprisingly disjointed at the back and giving away far too much easy possession.

Son is having a nightmare....Winks and Alli playing well and Kane looks sharp to give the positives.

I can see them scoring in the second half though.

Well I'm bemused by our team selection there....I assume Verts had a minor knock was why he was benched but playing Winks from the start instead of Sissoko didn't make much sense to me given the fractured nature of our defence.

Brilliant display from Lloris as usual or it could have been a cricket score.

I suppose overall it shows our focus is on the Premiership now....the extra quid from the latter stages of the CL is second to qualifying for next season....cynical but clearly true as no risks were taken.

Maybe the experience of this game will be felt next year by all involved....Winks did well and Alli was excellent too....our young players doing well is encouraging.

Let's see what happens this weekend!

7 hours ago, carmine said:

What a complete and utter shambles.  We are very lucky to have such a fine keeper.

Not looking forward to saturday one little bit!!

No more to be said really,perhaps a manager with Champions League winning experience would make a difference :sleep:

Not many about though,unless the "busted flush" one in Manchester could become available :smile:

keep smiling :thumbsup:

On another note I see Pochettino mentioned about Spurs playing late sunday and Monaco on friday night giving them a definite advantage,which without a doubt is,when "old red nose" raised these same points years ago the numpties who know little or nothing about football implied he was talking through his posterior.

Maybe now they might agree............but then again :sad:

19 minutes ago, petermik said:

No more to be said really,perhaps a manager with Champions League winning experience would make a difference :sleep:

Not many about though,unless the "busted flush" one in Manchester could become available :smile:

keep smiling :thumbsup:

Fascinating post.  Thanks for taking the time....

14 minutes ago, petermik said:

On another note I see Pochettino mentioned about Spurs playing late sunday and Monaco on friday night giving them a definite advantage,which without a doubt is,when "old red nose" raised these same points years ago the numpties who know little or nothing about football implied he was talking through his posterior.

Who exactly implied that?

7 hours ago, petermik said:

Who exactly implied that?

Your Argentinian manager in his post match interview....read it.

Fergie brought it up years ago,but the FA took no notice and the ABU,s cried "stop whinging"

Absolutely ridiculous that any club side playing in a major european competition on a tuesday evening should be made to play late on just a couple of days before.

On the continent they allow the games to be switched to a friday evening if requested.

We all know what the FA stands for :thumbsup:

Fascinating post.  Thanks for taking the time....

You are most welcome,I like to help when some folks suffer short term memory loss,first time ever posting on the Spurs thread but I felt the need :smile:  what goes round comes round :thumbsup:

now you can concentrate on winning back the league title you lost way back when :sad:

18 minutes ago, petermik said:

Your Argentinian manager in his post match interview....read it.

Fergie brought it up years ago,but the FA took no notice and the ABU,s cried "stop whinging"

Absolutely ridiculous that any club side playing in a major european competition on a tuesday evening should be made to play late on just a couple of days before.

On the continent they allow the games to be switched to a friday evening if requested.

We all know what the FA stands for :thumbsup:

No, not Poch....who implied Ferguson was talking rubbish!!  Keep up mate!

I think you are just making this up because who would say its rubbish?  Its simple logic.

4 hours ago, alfieconn said:

People are saying that Poch put out the wrong team but it was the players who played poorly, as they have done in nearly every CL game, they  just never seem motivated for the competition from the first game like it was 2nd fiddle to the League !

Listening to the pundits and the Spurs fans calling in on the radio this morning, it seems the consensus is a bot of both. Poch rested players (probably for the Chelsea game) and the players who came in didn't seem to have any passion 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Listening to the pundits and the Spurs fans calling in on the radio this morning, it seems the consensus is a bot of both. Poch rested players (probably for the Chelsea game) and the players who came in didn't seem to have any passion 

The only 2 players that were rested were Walker and  Vertonghen, if there was a lack of passion from Wimmer and Tripier can't see that making much difference to the team and whether we won or lost.

• Like 2

I don't think passion was the issue.

Monaco are a good side and were better than our team on the night.

No complaints about that....with Verts and Toby in that defence we are much stronger defensively...and even Walker would have tightened things up.

Priority was clear last night....the league is number one on our list.

54 minutes ago, Chicog said:

"Theresa May has asked Mauricio Pochettino to lead her Brexit negotiations has he has managed to get Spurs out of Europe in just two months".

:thumbsup:

Article Europa of course

On 21/11/2016 at 9:02 AM, carmine said:

Bob, thats so you to judge eighteen months of good performances on the basis of our last eight matches....bravo.

Now before you start on us again jog off and check out our respective league finish places over the past seven years:smile:

Edit *lost 3 won 1 in 9 with the Chavs and City next ?

Still one win out of the top 4  ? It's 14/15 all over again 

Disappointing result but atleast we turned up and the first half was a good performance.  We desperately miss Toby, Rose and Lamela and Wimmer is ofcorse no left back as their second goal showed. Chelsea managed to cut the supply to Kane and keep Dembele quiet and there you have it.  Dele Alli was mostly anonymous.  On the basis of the first half performance i don't think a draw would have been unfair but thats football.  As already said, it was a game of two very different halves.

I thought Wanyama and Walker had very solid games, those two being our stand outs.

What struck me was the difference in experience of our respective benches.  We had three teenagers and compared with the other top teams our squad is painfully inexperienced.  the fact that 30m Sissoko couldn't even make the bench proves what an awful signing he's turning out to be.  I didn't before and i still can't see why Poch wanted him.

• Like 1

A worry for me looking back at saturdays game was the way our heads seem to drop when Chelsea leveled. Up to that point we looked quite dominant but the manner in which it seemed to change us could almost be described as dramatic.

There is no doubt we are a shadow of the team of last season.  Dier is a shadow of the player of last season and without the usual heroics of Lloris how far off the leaders might we be.

Whilst the trust in youth is admirable have we miscalculated the need of balancing youth with experience?

Food for thought.

Reading the many bloggs and stuff on the internet anyone would think we were bottom of the League without a win  !!!!!

People need to calm down, we are only a third of the way through the season, have only played 1 1/2 decent games and are still only 7 points off the top, have only lose once to any of the Top 4, have had injuries to key player's, joint best defensive record in the League.

Let's get some of our injured players back, get a settled side and see where we are in a couple of months time !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Reading the many bloggs and stuff on the internet anyone would think we were bottom of the League without a win  !!!!!

People need to calm down, we are only a third of the way through the season, have only played 1 1/2 decent games and are still only 7 points off the top, have only lose once to any of the Top 4, have had injuries to key player's, joint best defensive record in the League.

Let's get some of our injured players back, get a settled side and see where we are in a couple of months time !

Thats fair comment regarding the injured players.  I believe their absence has really upset the balance of the side.

I'm also none too upset about our unbeaten run being ended as i felt it was papering over a few cracks that needed exposing.