Tottenham Thread

chonabot

I had no big gripes with rangers until scrotum face took over. Lets really give them a pasting next week

Dear oh dear, what a fickle bunch you are. The sun used to shine out of his arse and now he's "scrotum face".

"Fairweather Fans" is the phrase that springs to mind, we have more than a few of our own.

biggrin.png

calling our most succesful manager a crook ect ect and slagging, arguably our best central midfeild player for ?? years , imo aint particulary clever or particulary perceptive.

seems spurs fans r quick to remember ari losing a thirteen point lead, not so quick to praise or remember some of the great football HIS team served up on the way or the great job he did getting us into that position. and whats also not taken into account,is the learning curve of handling sitting on top of the league , not many managers get in that position, the presure that brings is unique and handling that, like everything imo comes with expierence,

The club as much as ari didnt handle the speculatuive england job issue very well, if the club wanted to they could have ended speculation and relieved the pressure, by giving him a brand new long term contract, they didnt, so seems quite early they made up their minds ari was to be moved on. FAir enuf but Ari continaully said he was just concentrating on the spurs job and always denied any contact had been made NO ONE TOOK ANY NOTICE OF HIM SAYING that, believed what they wanted to believe. and imo, ari under awkward circumstances did quite well to keep us in the top four. Had he been been given decent finacial support, in the last jan transfer window, SAha and neilson <deleted> !!! who knows where we would have finished, even so,imo, 4th wasnt bad, I like the progress our new managers making there's a rationality and planned balance to what he's doing, lets hope he can keep it up and progress and he can put togother a squad/ team that can challenge utd city and chelsea and if he cant, lets hope he's not slagged like ari's been.

How dare you insult the name of Bill Nicholson on this thread and refer to Redknapp as our most successful manager you complete and (snipped). Bill Nich is the greatest legend of THFC as if i should ever need to educate a so called Spurs supporter.

And just for the record Keith Burkinshaw was a far better, more successful manager for us than Redknapp. A great side he built that also won silverware. You nare just an ill informed troll.

As for 3 goals a season Modric! I'm much happier with Dembele.....

Edited by mrbojangles
Snipped. Keep it civil chaps.
  • Like 1

Just to add some more facts for Rijit;

Levy tried to offer Redknapp a new contract but that "crook" wouldn't even talk to him with regards whilst the England job was open.

Secondly he became very conspicuous by his absense at training sessions.

Both of these situations would largely go to explain why none of us were interested in his lame protestations about only being focused on our team which he effectively left high and dry.

Just to add insult to injurt the moment Hodge got the Ebgland job Redknapp wanted an immediate sit down and listed his "demands" for a new contract.

Levy quite rightly told him to do one with as polls suggest the overwhelming approval of Spurs fans

Edited by carmine

I had no big gripes with rangers until scrotum face took over. Lets really give them a pasting next week

Dear oh dear, what a fickle bunch you are. The sun used to shine out of his arse and now he's "scrotum face".

"Fairweather Fans" is the phrase that springs to mind, we have more than a few of our own.

biggrin.png

calling our most succesful manager a crook ect ect and slagging, arguably our best central midfeild player for ?? years , imo aint particulary clever or particulary perceptive.

seems spurs fans r quick to remember ari losing a thirteen point lead, not so quick to praise or remember some of the great football HIS team served up on the way or the great job he did getting us into that position. and whats also not taken into account,is the learning curve of handling sitting on top of the league , not many managers get in that position, the presure that brings is unique and handling that, like everything imo comes with expierence,

The club as much as ari didnt handle the speculatuive england job issue very well, if the club wanted to they could have ended speculation and relieved the pressure, by giving him a brand new long term contract, they didnt, so seems quite early they made up their minds ari was to be moved on. FAir enuf but Ari continaully said he was just concentrating on the spurs job and always denied any contact had been made NO ONE TOOK ANY NOTICE OF HIM SAYING that, believed what they wanted to believe. and imo, ari under awkward circumstances did quite well to keep us in the top four. Had he been been given decent finacial support, in the last jan transfer window, SAha and neilson <deleted> !!! who knows where we would have finished, even so,imo, 4th wasnt bad, I like the progress our new managers making there's a rationality and planned balance to what he's doing, lets hope he can keep it up and progress and he can put togother a squad/ team that can challenge utd city and chelsea and if he cant, lets hope he's not slagged like ari's been.

How dare you insult the name of Bill Nicholson on this thread and refer to Redknapp as our most successful manager you complete and utter buffoon. Bill Nich is the greatest legend of THFC as if i should ever need to educate a so called Spurs supporter.

And just for the record Keith Burkinshaw was a far better, more successful manager for us than Redknapp. A great side he built that also won silverware. You nare just an ill informed troll.

As for 3 goals a season Modric! I'm much happier with Dembele.....

HEAR !! HEAR !!! ....................... lol...

Levy tried to offer Redknapp a new contract but that "crook" wouldn't even talk to him with regards whilst the England job was open.

Both of these situations would largely go to explain why none of us were interested in his lame protestations about only being focused on our team which he effectively left high and dry.

Just to add insult to injurt the moment Hodge got the Ebgland job Redknapp wanted an immediate sit down and listed his "demands" for a new contract.

Levy quite rightly told him to do one with as polls suggest the overwhelming approval of Spurs fans

I hope rij is gonna hang his head in shame.....or at least admit to a drinking problem or some such.

Alfredo, what are your thoughts on Wilfried Zaha? He'd be a fantastic fit for us especially if we have to doing some selling next season.

Looks like everyones after him but the same was true, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent when we captured Gareth

Why can't AVB get himself a decent Crombie or something, I feel like slapping him every time I see him in that poncey rag he always wears. Gormless looking <deleted>.

I wouldn't have been quite so harsh with my wording but i have to agree with you. i think i did suggest that wearing a different coat should have been a pre condition of his employment as Spurs manager.

Freund reminds me of what a retired adult movie actor might look like. Just suppose its the german in him. unsure.png

• Like 1

Why can't AVB get himself a decent Crombie or something, I feel like slapping him every time I see him in that poncey rag he always wears. Gormless looking <deleted>.

I've heard it all now ! a northener critizing someone's dress sense 40.gif

Oy. Go and sew that button back on your Pearly King coat, you fashion setters. tongue.png

I hope rij is gonna hang his head in shame.....or at least admit to a drinking problem or some such.

Isn’t the truth of the matter somewhere between the two extreme view points?

You could arguably say that he was the most successful manager of the ‘modern era’, certainly the premiership era, and let’s face it, we can’t forever keep harking back to Spurs glory days and say that no-one since has measured up, and this is from someone who lived and supported them throughout that era.

I’m not going to argue about his tactical nous, but the fact remains that he came in at a time when Spurs were in a lot of trouble and succeeded in turning them around and producing a string of impressive results. Whether that was down to his ‘man management’ skills, or something else, I’ll leave for you experts to argue about, but nobody can claim that he is totally useless as a manager – his record at a number of clubs, including Spurs, and who knows, maybe QPR, speaks volumes, and it can’t all have been sheer luck.

But let’s just take a step back and remember exactly what happened. He had a heart operation, and then he had a nasty court case, which if he lost, would have seen him doing time, and would have totally wrecked his life. If you looked at the evidence, it was amazing that he got away with it, and he must have been seriously scared. Yet through all this he continued to do his job at Spurs and it only started to turn to shit when the whole <deleted> country unofficially anointed him as the new England manager.

It was a done deal, every premiership manager, from Ferguson on down and every journalist and every football pundit said he was a shoe-in for the job, to say nothing of the general public who were all supporting him to a man. OK, I agree, he screwed up, and took his eye off the ball, but can you really blame him? He thought he was going to get the job he had dreamed of all his life, and even his boss at Spurs assumed it was just a matter of time.

If any of you had been in his position would you have been able to do any better? The guy is in his late sixties, he had grafted all his life and he had had a very momentous and strenuous year before the England job suddenly became his – or so he thought.

I actually felt quite sorry for him when they went for Hogdson, despite the fact that he let us down badly in the final run in, but come on guys, if it wasn’t for Chelsea’s incredible luck in the European championship, nobody would be complaining about him bring Spurs home in 4th place.

And you know what? I bet if we had played in the Champions league this season, I reckon we would be well out of it by now. As it is, we still have something to cheer, but we have found European football quite hard going.

But that’s just the view of 60 years plus Spurs supporter in his dotage.

<deleted> do I know?

• Like 2

Ok i wont include vb cos he's not really had enuf time, since the second world war,statistically, redknapp is our most manager.

cups

our ari lge

2008-2012 144 71 37 36 228 161 49 54 27 13 14 107 64 50 total games 198 98 50 50 335 205 49 62.12%

billy nick

1958-1974 667 306 164 197 1,208 922 46 165 102 32 31 388 173 62 total 832 408 196 228 1,596 1,095 49 60.8

burkenshaw just about made the top ten LOL

Edited by rijit

Isn’t the truth of the matter somewhere between the two extreme view points?

You could arguably say that he was the most successful manager of the ‘modern era’, certainly the premiership era, and let’s face it, we can’t forever keep harking back to Spurs glory days and say that no-one since has measured up, and this is from someone who lived and supported them throughout that era.

I’m not going to argue about his tactical nous, but the fact remains that he came in at a time when Spurs were in a lot of trouble and succeeded in turning them around and producing a string of impressive results. Whether that was down to his ‘man management’ skills, or something else, I’ll leave for you experts to argue about, but nobody can claim that he is totally useless as a manager – his record at a number of clubs, including Spurs, and who knows, maybe QPR, speaks volumes, and it can’t all have been sheer luck.

But let’s just take a step back and remember exactly what happened. He had a heart operation, and then he had a nasty court case, which if he lost, would have seen him doing time, and would have totally wrecked his life. If you looked at the evidence, it was amazing that he got away with it, and he must have been seriously scared. Yet through all this he continued to do his job at Spurs and it only started to turn to shit when the whole <deleted> country unofficially anointed him as the new England manager.

It was a done deal, every premiership manager, from Ferguson on down and every journalist and every football pundit said he was a shoe-in for the job, to say nothing of the general public who were all supporting him to a man. OK, I agree, he screwed up, and took his eye off the ball, but can you really blame him? He thought he was going to get the job he had dreamed of all his life, and even his boss at Spurs assumed it was just a matter of time.

If any of you had been in his position would you have been able to do any better? The guy is in his late sixties, he had grafted all his life and he had had a very momentous and strenuous year before the England job suddenly became his – or so he thought.

I actually felt quite sorry for him when they went for Hogdson, despite the fact that he let us down badly in the final run in, but come on guys, if it wasn’t for Chelsea’s incredible luck in the European championship, nobody would be complaining about him bring Spurs home in 4th place.

And you know what? I bet if we had played in the Champions league this season, I reckon we would be well out of it by now. As it is, we still have something to cheer, but we have found European football quite hard going.

But that’s just the view of 60 years plus Spurs supporter in his dotage.

<deleted> do I know?

Good post, only a small point but did he let us down badly or did the owners,with an noncompetitive jan transfer budget (but tbh i think it goes a bit deeper than that,) blow our first realistic title opportunity since,,,, well the 60's.

Adebayor might have inadvertantly done us a favour choosing to go to the Cup of Nations. It might force Levy's hand to buy a striker. Mindyou if Defoe gets injured were screwed.

I believe we still have Adebayor for the QPR and Utd fixtures and if so i'd play him regardless to protect Defoe from any potential injury or yellow card.

Ok i wont include vb cos he's not really had enuf time, since the second world war,statistically, Redknapp is, our most successful manager

Burkenshaw just about made the top ten LOL

Just thought I'de reiterate the point!!!!

Edited by rijit

Adebayor might have inadvertantly done us a favour choosing to go to the Cup of Nations. It might force Levy's hand to buy a striker. Mindyou if Defoe gets injured were screwed.

I believe we still have Adebayor for the QPR and Utd fixtures and if so i'd play him regardless to protect Defoe from any potential injury or yellow card.

Lets hope so carms ! but i have also read that AVB has mentioned that Dempsey can play centre forward !

I measure success in terms of trophies won and league position. In those terms Bill Nicholson is easily our best ever manager.

Leave the brawling for the boxing forum and the nonsense stats and hand clapping for the playground.

Oh and Mr Levy.....buy a frigging striker!

I measure success in terms of trophies won and league position. In those terms Bill Nicholson is easily our best ever manager.

Leave the brawling for the boxing forum and the nonsense stats and hand clapping for the playground.

Oh and Mr Levy.....buy a frigging striker!

I completely agree with you. Nicholson is by far and away the best Spurs manager with 8 major honours to his name.

You could argue that Burkinshaw is second with 3 FA cup successes, and apart from him, there is no other manager who has obtained more than one major honour

If you judge the success of manager by the major honours they have achieved, then arguably Ramos is the best in the premiership era as he is the only one to have obtained any honour (League cup). But of course this is nonsense.

So if we look at rest of the managers who failed to obtain any honours in the premiership era, then Redknapp is way out in front, with an overall success rate of 62% .

In fact, you have to go back to the second world war years, (when only cup games were played), to find a manager with a higher overall success rate.

Personally, I would rate Arthur Rowe way up the list as being the only manager, apart from Bill, to win the league championship.

Whichever way you look at it, Redknapp has to be right up there with the best of Spurs’ managers, especially when you consider that these days the game is far from the level playing field it was in the past, due to the obscene amounts of money that are now being spent to buy success. Don’t ask me how he did it – but did it he did…

I don't like him much either... but facts are facts, and we shouldn't let our personal prejudices colour our judgement.

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

Bill Nicholson

• Like 1

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

Bill Nicholson

Here, here. And you should be able to replace "spurs" with the name of any team and it should equally apply.

Bill Nicholson

Here, here. And you should be able to replace "spurs" with the name of any team and it should equally apply.

Except Wigan. :D

yeah it could be argued mobi rowes 'push and run' style helped revolutionize the game, well certainly in England, and for me i only saw the later years of billy nick and was so constantly fed the double team this and the double team and the double team , that it felt guitar.gif like the same old song LOL the teams and fans were sort of living in a shadow, greaves kept that 'world class' standard going almost single handed until the late 60's but NEVER since have we had a REAL chance of winning the title until ari came along, and guess what, he did it with true spurs style, flying wingers, great footie memorable European nights and we get the ------ i diiiits !!!! who virtually do nothing but slag him off angry.png , sure he's not perfect and if you want to moralize, he had has his issues, but footie wise GREAT STUFF. but 4 me it's a pretty pointless issue, but if you really want to blame someone for not winning the league, look no further than what stat boy santi? said add a bit and scream to the board, golden opp gone!!! 2 BE REPEATED ?? lap of the gods .goof.gif

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

yeah it could be argued mobi rowes 'push and run' style helped revolutionize the game, well certainly in England, and for me i only saw the later years of billy nick and was so constantly fed the double team this and the double team and the double team , that it felt guitar.gif like the same old song LOL the teams and fans were sort of living in a shadow, greaves kept that 'world class' standard going almost single handed until the late 60's but NEVER since have we had a REAL chance of winning the title until ari came along, and guess what, he did it with true spurs style, flying wingers, great footie memorable European nights and we get the ------ i diiiits !!!! who virtually do nothing but slag him off angry.png , sure he's not perfect and if you want to moralize, he had has his issues, but footie wise GREAT STUFF. but 4 me it's a pretty pointless issue, but if you really want to blame someone for not winning the league, look no further than what stat boy santi? said add a bit and scream to the board, golden opp gone!!! 2 BE REPEATED ?? lap of the gods .goof.gif

If i was you i'd stick to Exeter because you know niche about Spurs history, you cream yourself about Arri getting two 4ths and a fifth but from 81/82 until 89/90 we got two 4ths and three 3rds so i think we were a bit closer to winning the title in them years.

And for your info, we never had a real chance of winning the title with Ari there, not unless you call 16 points getting close 40.gif

If i was you i'd stick to Exeter because you know niche about Spurs history, you cream yourself about Arri getting two 4ths and a fifth but from 81/82 until 89/90 we got two 4ths and three 3rds so i think we were a bit closer to winning the title in them years.

And for your info, we never had a real chance of winning the title with Ari there, not unless you call 16 points getting close 40.gif

well well,Alfie cumms been doing his stats, sitting on the loo were we? but i'm talking the team and with a little more backing/ positive movement from the board IMo ari's team could well have pushed on, where as the teams in the 80's had more than enuf investment ect but still, imo, good as they were, they never going to win the league but with ari's I though we stood a chance.

Edited by rijit