Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Looks like Wolfsburg have agreed personal terms with Son.  Ofcourse that doesn't mean much if they don't pay want Levy's asking price!

I was pleased that Bentaleb is only on loan.  Maybe Poch was to assess his development.  I still can't help thinking theres a future for him at Spurs.

As for todays game, Eriksen really has to step up.  If Kane is going to play behind Janssen then theres going to be a far greater need for justifying him starting and at present Lamela is a far better player for us in every department.

Big game today.  Pepper Mignolet at every opportunity with Janssen and Kane right on top of him,  lets pray Moreno plays as Lamela will give him a torrid afternoon and hope Klopp leaves Henderson on his own at the base of their midfield....although id have thought he's too smart for that.  If he does we'll be all over him.

Should be interesting to see what Liverpool turns up.  Difficult one to call this game is.  

13 minutes ago, carmine said:

Big game today.  Pepper Mignolet at every opportunity with Janssen and Kane right on top of him,  lets pray Moreno plays as Lamela will give him a torrid afternoon and hope Klopp leaves Henderson on his own at the base of their midfield....although id have thought he's too smart for that.  If he does we'll be all over him.

Should be interesting to see what Liverpool turns up.  Difficult one to call this game is.  

Yep there left back area is vulnerable plus playing a right footed CB on the left side won't help !

15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Yep there left back area is vulnerable plus playing a right footed CB on the left side won't help !

And that keeper needs to be bullied from the off.  Let him know we think he's a liability and get our forwards right on top of him.  He will screw up, spill the ball put under enough pressure.

I just can't see Klopp subjecting Moreno to an afternoon of Lamela.  He'll make an idiot of him. Maybe Bob's right and Milner will fill in?

At the other end Liverpool are strong and will always create chances.  Would you be tempted to play Dier/Wanyama, drop Eriksen and play Lamela Alli and Kane behind Janssen?  I just feel we need a very strong pairing at the base of our midfield because given chances they will score.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

And that keeper needs to be bullied from the off.  Let him know we think he's a liability and get our forwards right on top of him.  He will screw up, spill the ball put under enough pressure.

I just can't see Klopp subjecting Moreno to an afternoon of Lamela.  He'll make an idiot of him. Maybe Bob's right and Milner will fill in?

At the other end Liverpool are strong and will always create chances.  Would you be tempted to play Dier/Wanyama, drop Eriksen and play Lamela Alli and Kane behind Janssen?  I just feel we need a very strong pairing at the base of our midfield because given chances they will score.

Think that will be the team carms 

Poor that...we haven't got our passing game going much at all in the first half....looks rushed when we are in possession and consequently giving away cheap ball.

We are missing Dembele....no question he will start when fit I think.

The rumours are we will sign a winger...no complaints here but let's get one who can cross a ball...particularly from corners.

Anyway let's hope we can turn this around....COYS!!

I had to go out on 74mins just in time to see Spurs wake up. Scousers played well and must feel they lost 2 points. Thought moving Dyer and putting janssen on didn't go well; Milner had the freedom of the left and I was wondering would Spurs catch him out and finally you did. Good game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I had to go out on 74mins just in time to see Spurs wake up. Scousers played well and must feel they lost 2 points. Thought moving Dyer and putting janssen on didn't go well; Milner had the freedom of the left and I was wondering would Spurs catch him out and finally you did. Good game.

Yes it was end to end football...not one for the purists no doubt but great to watch for the neutral.

I'm off for a calming beer or two now. :)

I thought we were mostly abysmal.  Liverpool have themselves to blame mind you although i need to remind Bob that the second goal should not have stood because it was offside.  That is unless the rules have changed.  It was an excellent call in a match marred by poor decisions. Clop i'd have thought will be very happy with his much improved defense whilst feeling he's dropped two points.

A lucky point we really didn't deserve and again, as was up at Goodison, a game that should have been lost in the first half.

Thought we could also have done with some pace coming off the bench which wasn't there.

Why did Eriksen start?

• Like 1

thought we were fortunate to get away with a draw, overall just about equal but second best in chances cant really remember us threatening their goal and on the break  didn't really look a threat, imo the bench was weak and changes made no impact.

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Walker going off has been very important...Liverpool took advantage of that.

Excellent goalkeeping by Vorm. Deserves to be a no.1 somewhere.

Good game. Not much in it but Liverpool have looked dangerous, Spurs haven't.

yeah but poch then  took pace out of that side, he's got enuf options, but IMO his bench selection was poor.

"yeah but poch then  took pace out of that side"

Not sure what point you are making but Walker was controlling Coutinho and Milner, midfield was equal, sides were equal. Walker went off, Dyer went to right back, Spurs extra brought forward on as Spurs weren't creating chances, and consequence of all this was Liverpool started breaking through midfield, Spurs not longer par in midfield, Dyer wasn't controlling Coutinho and Milner, suddenly Milner was everywhere (read he had most touches), extra player up front for Spurs didn't benifit them = balance tipped to Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/27/how-tottenham-were-spooked-by-liverpools-press-and-why-both-team/

Comment of the week: "Jordan Henderson provides not so much a solid defensive screen as the footballing equivalent of see-through underwear – it’s there, but it’s not doing much." ;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"yeah but poch then  took pace out of that side"

Not sure what point you are making but Walker was controlling Coutinho and Milner, midfield was equal, sides were equal. Walker went off, Dyer went to right back, Spurs extra brought forward on as Spurs weren't creating chances, and consequence of all this was Liverpool started breaking through midfield, Spurs not longer par in midfield, Dyer wasn't controlling Coutinho and Milner, suddenly Milner was everywhere (read he had most touches), extra player up front for Spurs didn't benifit them = balance tipped to Liverpool.

jeez we dotn need a regurgitation I know what happened and my point was by replacing walker with dyer effectively he took the pace out of the side. i was actually criticizing the   bench, not the greatest i've seen.

10 hours ago, rijit said:

thought we were fortunate to get away with a draw, overall just about equal but second best in chances cant really remember us threatening their goal and on the break  didn't really look a threat, imo the bench was weak and changes made no impact.

Good point about the bench.  Whilst its nice to see such youthful talent on the bench the lack of experience, and pace for that matter was worrying.  There was no option B.

Nice to see Harry Winks get a run out but Onomah...for Christs sake.....get rid of that ridiculous thing on your head.  You ridicule yourself and your team mates.  Eighteen years old or eight years old, its just as stupid.

34 minutes ago, carmine said:

Good point about the bench.  Whilst its nice to see such youthful talent on the bench the lack of experience, and pace for that matter was worrying.  There was no option B.

Nice to see Harry Winks get a run out but Onomah...for Christs sake.....get rid of that ridiculous thing on your head.  You ridicule yourself and your team mates.  Eighteen years old or eight years old, its just as stupid.

To be fair, Chadli and Mason  would have made the bench slightly stronger so for them not to be on it they must be on their way,  let's hope that means at least one attacking player in.

Iv'e always that that Eriksen lacked pace and a bit of fight but made up for that with cleverness and guile so if he's not showing either of them then he could be the odd one out when we hopefully get a couple of new player's.

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

To be fair, Chadli and Mason  would have made the bench slightly stronger so for them not to be on it they must be on their way,  let's hope that means at least one attacking player in.

Iv'e always that that Eriksen lacked pace and a bit of fight but made up for that with cleverness and guile so if he's not showing either of them then he could be the odd one out when we hopefully get a couple of new player's.

Yes and i think the attacking set up was wrong from the start.  Should have been Janssen up top, Kane behind with Lamela and Alli either side.  That would have brought more pressure on their back four and keeper.

I think Janssen is going to prove a great buy.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Yes and i think the attacking set up was wrong from the start.  Should have been Janssen up top, Kane behind with Lamela and Alli either side.  That would have brought more pressure on their back four and keeper.

I think Janssen is going to prove a great buy.

My concern with playing Janssen up top with Kane behind actually restricts Kane's opportunity to score, we 

all know that Kane's best position is up front where he's already proven the last 2 seasons scoring goals.

Considering we only have those two as our main strikers it makes sense to share the work load over the 60

odd games that we'll be playing this season.

If we were to play them both consistently then we really need another striker for cover.

39 minutes ago, sotsira said:

My concern with playing Janssen up top with Kane behind actually restricts Kane's opportunity to score, we 

all know that Kane's best position is up front where he's already proven the last 2 seasons scoring goals.

Considering we only have those two as our main strikers it makes sense to share the work load over the 60

odd games that we'll be playing this season.

If we were to play them both consistently then we really need another striker for cover.

Fair shout so if you of to form Kane starts on the bench!!  Thats a very big shout but with no goals and a 31% pass completion yesterday what are you going to do.

What i would say is that Eriksen is simply not carrying his weight.  He needs to be dropped.  That said, baring in mind most of the team played poorly its harsh to single out one or two players.  

What concerns me the most is the lack of creativity and a side thats seems unable to match the intensity and tempo of last season and that was the hallmark of our game.  What with another stupid international break/waste of time we'll lose most of our players again when a good rest looks like what we need

I think Poch will play Kane in all the high profile games and give him a bit part role against less profile 

opposition, especially when we start playing twice a week in the UCL.

The whole point of Janssen's arrival is to free up some rest time for Kane, i think he'll only play them both 

together if we're chasing a game.

Both Janssen & Kane should be played up top only though, as neither of them are no:10's playing in the hole.

Dele Alli, Lamela, Son & Eriksen  are all capable no:10's. 

19 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I think Poch will play Kane in all the high profile games and give him a bit part role against less profile 

opposition, especially when we start playing twice a week in the UCL.

The whole point of Janssen's arrival is to free up some rest time for Kane, i think he'll only play them both 

together if we're chasing a game.

Both Janssen & Kane should be played up top only though, as neither of them are no:10's playing in the hole.

Dele Alli, Lamela, Son & Eriksen  are all capable no:10's. 

I would say of the four you mentioned only Alli and Lamela have places in the first team...hence why Poch is looking for an attacking midfield player with pace.