US: Comedy Central says Jon Stewart leaving 'The Daily Show'

webfact

OK, this makes sense.

Jessica WIlliams is being floated as the replacement.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/kwgpw8/the-best-of-jessica-williams/lodew5

I assume she's the favorite.

Maybe Jerry's available. He might be able to make up for that hideous Seinfeld show.

So...Stewart and Seinfeld aren't funny eh? Kind of reminds me of what Gandhi said:

Quotation-Mahatma-Gandhi-life-suicide-hu

OK, this makes sense.

Jessica WIlliams is being floated as the replacement.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/kwgpw8/the-best-of-jessica-williams/lodew5

I assume she's the favorite.

Maybe Jerry's available. He might be able to make up for that hideous Seinfeld show.

So...Stewart and Seinfeld aren't funny eh? Kind of reminds me of what Gandhi said:

Quotation-Mahatma-Gandhi-life-suicide-hu

Don Rickles is funny. Jon Stewart is not.

Seinfeld the stand up comedian is funny. Seinfeld the show was not.

The end of an era. I must say, I had become more attached to Colbert and that was a bummer, but now to lose Stewart, ach. Will be hard to fill that double bill.

I hardly find any american 'comedians' or such ,funny..

Too bad for you.

Anyway, it's not like The Daily Show is a stand up comedy act. It's a specific satirical political "news" format.

You know there are probably hundreds (thousands?) of actively working comedians in the U.S. When I hear comments like yours I just assume the person is expressing a snarky kind of anti-Americanism. It can't possibly be due to wide exposure to the incredible range of American humor. If you sincerely haven't found any you find funny, you haven't looked very hard ... you can take that to the bank.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The end of an era. I must say, I had become more attached to Colbert and that was a bummer, but now to lose Stewart, ach. Will be hard to fill that double bill.

I hardly find any american 'comedians' or such ,funny..

Too bad for you.

Anyway, it's not like The Daily Show is a stand up comedy act. It's a specific satirical political "news" format.

Yes, exactly. I also find Bill Maher a fantastic political comedian. Others find him caustic for many reasons. I think the only right wing comedian, Dennis Miller is a horrible failure and rarely funny (well, sometimes), and that shows in the very limited audience he enjoys.

I should say I consider myself slightly center-right in my political views.

I think Trevor Noah would be a good replacement!

Perhaps I've seen him but just had to look him up.

How could someone from South Africa be able to fill the role of John Stewart in American comedic political commentary?

Brit John Oliver could but he's been in the U.S. a long while and lots of experience.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the only right wing comedian, Dennis Miller is a horrible failure and rarely funny (well, sometimes), and that shows in the very limited audience he enjoys.

I should say I consider myself slightly center-right in my political views.

I am not sure that he is supposed to be a "comedian" on O'Reilly. I would call him a commentator that uses humor to make his points. I don't find him particularly funny, but I did not back when he was on Saturday Night Live either. I do find what he has to say interesting though.

Perhaps I've seen him but just had to look him up.

How could someone from South Africa be able to fill the role of John Stewart in American comedic political commentary?

Brit John Oliver could but he's been in the U.S. a long while and lots of experience.

Then I guess you wouldn't approve of my other suggestion either... Russell Peters!!!!

I haven't watched Ellen in years so I don't really know. My uneducated impression is that she's not edgy or topically political enough (Lewis Black is too edgy). I do think it will be a "minority" person of some, likely a woman. I also am guessing Ellen wouldn't want it.

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

OMG, you were right!

I am rather shocked.

I have watched his stuff since then and yes he is very funny and his observations on race issues in the U.S. compared to South Africa are fascinating.

I also expected it would be a minority group person, not an American straight white man.

But, this still really surprises.

Since then, I had concluded the British guy John Oliver deserved it.

Trevor Noah to take over Daily Show!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I agree its an inspired choice. But I think a bit risky for the producers. The guy is really an outsider. His perspective is really outside looking in. John Oliver despite being a Brit has much more of an insider's perspective. As far as the show's historic influence on American political culture, I don't see how Noah can possibly keep that up. So I think they've decided to be something different now.

And then there is the producer thing.

Stewart had produced Colbert Report, and now produces Larry Wilmore's show.

I watched it for the first six weeks or so. I could see where, at times, he was trying to avoid racial topics, but then they just gave in to it. I'm not unsympathetic to the cause, but a daily half hour of racial commentary and white-people jokes has worn thin. Now with Noah it looks like it's going to be extended to an hour. I wonder who's going to produce.

I realized in the 1970s I had a god-given gift: if I hate a comedian there is a good chance they are going to be successful. Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray were my first. I used to see Michael Keaton on "Live at the Improv" and think he was the worst. Then came the movie "Mr. Mom." I came across a video of Noah doing his standup routine 2 or 3 years ago and thought he was terrible -- race-baiting as humor, and he said his name every few minutes. The guy is bound for glory.

Boy, do I miss Colbert. It's sad he'll be drawn into the mediocrity of network TV. I don't particularly care for John Oliver's show, but I learn something new every time I watch. There is a show from UK called Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe which is great for sarcastic media criticism, but it seems they only do a few shows per year; if this is wrong, please tell where to find them online.

Edited by bendejo

The show's American political influence is going to do be diminished particularly on U.S. election matters which Stewart excelled at. I just read one of the things they're going for now is to make it more of an INTERNATIONAL show, actually targeted more globally. Now that makes some more sense with this choice.

Yeah, looks like there's going to be a void this primary season, no programming dedicated to the absurdity of it all. But maybe Comedy Central will come up with something, the way they teamed Al Franken and Arianna Huff (who was then a right-winger) to cover the 1992 conventions.

And then there is the producer thing.

Stewart had produced Colbert Report, and now produces Larry Wilmore's show.

I watched it for the first six weeks or so. I could see where, at times, he was trying to avoid racial topics, but then they just gave in to it. I'm not unsympathetic to the cause, but a daily half hour of racial commentary and white-people jokes has worn thin. Now with Noah it looks like it's going to be extended to an hour. I wonder who's going to produce.

I find Wilmore's monologues to be pretty darn funny and insightful. The guy has long been acknowledged as a great writer. But I find his round table second half of the show, a la Bill Maher, to be as boring as Jon Stewart's interviews with media celebrities. I still miss Colbert.

Jon Stewart is great. His show is so funny and his political satire is accurate. Much better than many news reports on some networks and at the same time highly entertaining. 555

Edited by BKKBobby

RELATED TOPIC:

Trevor Noah set to replace Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show'
By FRAZIER MOORE

NEW YORK (AP) — Trevor Noah, a 31-year-old comedian from South Africa who has contributed to "The Daily Show" a handful of times in recent months, will become Jon Stewart's replacement as host, Comedy Central announced Monday.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813440-comedian-trevor-noah-set-to-replace-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show/

The comments section about this choice is interesting. I still don't entirely get this choice except that it's impossible to really replace Stewart and they didn't even try.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/arts/television/trevor-noah-to-succeed-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show.html?src=twr&_r=0

Of course Noah will create something new, and grow in the job, but I don't see his success as exactly a sure thing.

Vanderbilt Father West Coast 15 hours ago

Many of the comments are missing why it may be tough for Trevor, as a non-American, to succeed as host. A good portion of the Daily Show consists of mocking the US and its citizens. It is one thing for a guy from Jersey to be successful making jokes to a US audience making caricatures of the people who live here . It is a much tougher sell for someone from somewhere else. Granted, John Oliver has had some success, but that doesn't mean it is easy. As a practical matter, it means that certain bits that John Stewart can do are off limits for John Oliver. If someone from another country is mocking people from, say, the South, it is easy for it to come across as mean rather than funny in a way that it doesn't for someone from the US. I think the suits at Comedy Central may have miscalculated how that dynamic will constrain their new host and limit his success. That said, I wish him the best.

Edited by Jingthing

I think it's more a case that Stewart's shoes are IMPOSSIBLE to fill. Any known American would be set up to fail miserably. By picking someone outside the box literally, it's a clean slate, and they can remake the show with none of the Stewart nostalgia or legacy.

I don't like it, but it's a good choice....

• Like 1

The plot thickens.coffee1.gif

Buyer's remorse?

Yet within a day, there was dissent within Vox; writer Kelsey McKinney was explaining why Noah might be unfit to lead TDS. "A Daily Show host should be held to a higher standard than other comedians," she wrote in regard to the tweets. "These jokes are offensive because they are reflections of cultures that are oppressive and privileged—and rather than being critical of those societal constructions, the jokes instead reinforce them."

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-31/trevor-noah-from-progressive-icon-to-villain-in-24-hours

Egads! w00t.gif

What's next?

It’s all too acceptable to disrespect people of color in this country, especially African Americans, even when you’re also a person of color. Not only did Noah get away with these routines, now he’s being rewarded for them. And the sadder thing is that the next time we have this “there aren’t enough people of color in the late night arena” conversation, people will point to Noah and say, “See, we gave you another one.”
Well, you can keep him. I’d like a conscious person of color at the wheel, not someone who’s already driven me off a racist cliff.​

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/03/31/yes-the-new-daily-show-host-is-black-and-hes-spent-his-career-making-fun-of-african-americans/

a culture and race blogger

Well, that set the tone for the article. That thing about naming the kids is almost verbatim of something Bill Cosby used to say, back when he was saying things. I wonder who stole it from who, but I suspect Cosby because I've caught him stealing material before.

Speaking in very broad terms, Americans tend to be terrible at geography. Most wouldn't know that Austria and Australia are two different countries. Even black Americans who consider themselves experts on racial matters, because (a) they are black and (B) they have taken black history classes, don't really understand that Africa is not a country, and of those that do most don't realize not not every African is black. I'm not referring to white South Africans, but rather north Africans, eg most Egyptians think of themselves as part of Mediterranean culture. The West Indians started coming to NYC in large numbers in the 1960s, and the black community's reception was not welcoming (though I know quite of few black American guys who married West Indies women). Africans were considered from another planet altogether.

Anyway it's the end of the Daily Show as we know it, but I don't think this guy is going to make it fly. I think the US is too insular for international humor, people won't get his jokes, particular when he reaches for sarcasm and absurdity.

That blogger mentioned Kamau Bell, who had a show for one season. He's supposed to be a comedian but he comes off like Al Sharpton, only Sharpton has a better sense of humor. Bill Maher had him on Real Time when Bell's show was still running, and he kept saying things like "we should be talking about (insert racial perspective here)." When Maher then began to address said perspective Bell would dodge the subject. After this happened a few times Maher gave him his "boy, are full of +it+ " glare.