UK: Thai billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont keen on Tesco Lotus deal

webfact

Thai billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont keen on Tesco Lotus deal
Tesco receives approach for Thai business Tesco Lotus as it considers asset sales to boost balance sheet
By Graham Ruddick

LONDON: -- One of the richest men in Thailand has approached Tesco about a multi-billion pound deal to buy its business in the country.

Dhanin Chearavanont is understood to have approached Tesco in December about a deal and, although he was rejected, the tycoon is considering another bid.

Mr Chearavanont already controls the retail group Siam Makro in Thailand and acquiring Tesco Lotus would increase his control of the market.

Tesco Lotus has more than 1,700 stores and has been one of Tesco’s most successful overseas ventures.

However, Dave Lewis, chief executive, is considering selling off the company’s international assets as Britain’s biggest retailer tries to bounce back from an accounting scandal and a slump in domestic sales.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11401778/Thai-billionaire-Dhanin-Chearavanont-keen-on-Tesco-Lotus-deal.html

-- The Telegraph 2015-02-11

Let's imagine after Macro and CP he gets Tesco Lotus. With all the money and power he could easily run and win a future election to become the PM. As they say, the winner takes it all.

Consider what he already has. CP Foods, 7-11, True Vision and Chesters, and that is just in Thailand. In China he owns the 3rd largest motorbike manufacturer, the 2nd largest life insurance company and Tesco China and he also owns one of the worlds largest agricultural feed suppliers. Would Tesco Lotus really make that much difference to either his wealth or his power?

The former requirement of his staff to where yellow shirts on certain days might be a give away to his chosen political persuasion. My guess is that he is happy just pulling the strings in parliament.

A short while back the Tesco group announced it had no intention of selling its operation in Thailand, whether or not that policy statement stands remains to be seen and is no doubt dependent to a large degree on the current and short term future of Tesco's finances.

Now the thought of the Thai operation of Tesco being sold off to the C.P. group is a trifle worrying.

As already stated the group would then have a stranglehold on the retail food along with both the white and brown goods market and of course the prices charged as well as the ability to manipulate both supply and demand..

Let us hope that this offer to buy does not become a reality.

He must be bored shitless just like Malcolm Turnbull MP of Australia worth $100m aged in his late 50's and still wants power in politics. Why not enjoy this wonderful world more rather than getting in a Black/Blue suit every day and talking shit until the day you die?

• Like 1

<rant>If he does buy it, I hope he stocks with quality produce (and CHOICE) like what you get in the UK parent stores. Start off with a choice of more than two breads not loaded with sugars and E numbers. Tesco UK officials must be embarrassed when they walk the aisles of Lotus. Absolute crap!</rant>

if it wasnt for Dhanin i'd be reassessing my residence. i'd be at the mercy of thainess and thats not a good place to be. probably starve or be hospitalized

see for the just the most current episode hot off the press http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/799417-nong-khai-worms-in-soup-declared-waiters-revenge/

Edited by rabid old goat

<rant>If he does buy it, I hope he stocks with quality produce (and CHOICE) like what you get in the UK parent stores. Start off with a choice of more than two breads not loaded with sugars and E numbers. Tesco UK officials must be embarrassed when they walk the aisles of Lotus. Absolute crap!</rant>

You have misunderstood Tesco's positioning and marketing strategy in Thailand. It competes on low prices and aims for the C and D demograhic groups. No point stocking your imported UK sauces, sausages and pies when working class Thais don't buy them. I am sure Tesco UK managers, many of whom work here in Thailand, are very happy with the profits Tesco make in Thailand. Fortunately you are not one of them.

I suggest you try Villa, Best, Foodland, etc for a wide range of bread made to European tastes. Horses for courses.

Incidentally, most Germans and French are appalled at British bread.

You have misunderstood Tesco's positioning and marketing strategy in Thailand.

unfortunately i understand it far too well. no i am not going to tell you, work it out yourself.

I wasn't even talking to you. Have you been drinking? blink.png

Let's imagine after Macro and CP he gets Tesco Lotus. With all the money and power he could easily run and win a future election to become the PM. As they say, the winner takes it all.

Consider what he already has. CP Foods, 7-11, True Vision and Chesters, and that is just in Thailand. In China he owns the 3rd largest motorbike manufacturer, the 2nd largest life insurance company and Tesco China and he also owns one of the worlds largest agricultural feed suppliers. Would Tesco Lotus really make that much difference to either his wealth or his power?

The former requirement of his staff to where yellow shirts on certain days might be a give away to his chosen political persuasion. My guess is that he is happy just pulling the strings in parliament.

Where those certain days Mondays by any chance?

<rant>If he does buy it, I hope he stocks with quality produce (and CHOICE)

You're joking yeah. Been to 7/11 or Makro lately since Dhanin bought it?

Choice and quality have decreased immensely, while prices have gone the opposite direction in the same manner.

Choice and quality have decreased immensely, while prices have gone the opposite direction in the same manner.

Dahnian /CP has always owned 7/11 franchise in thailand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_ALL

Dahnian /CP has always owned 7/11 franchise in thailand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_ALL

I didn't say he bought 7/11 lately, I said he bought Makro lately, but I asked if you have been in 7/11 lately as there the selection of good also has remarkably decreased over the past 6 months.

I didn't say he bought 7/11 lately, I said he bought Makro lately, but I asked if you have been in 7/11 lately as there the selection of good also has remarkably decreased over the past 6 months.

you missed a comma after 7/11.

yes have also notice something/someone has changed and it hasnt been an improvement. less than six months though.

Yes, as well as other royalist days, this is besides the point though as it is only Yellow Shirts who insist their staff wear yellow shirts every Monday. Why do you think he dropped the idea, do you think he fell out of love with the King or do you think he might of thought it unwise to continue such an obvious display of his personal politics? I feel safe in my assumption that this billionaire is not about to challenge the current rule.

Yes, as well as other royalist days, this is besides the point though as it is only Yellow Shirts who insist their staff wear yellow shirts every Monday. Why do you think he dropped the idea, do you think he fell out of love with the King or do you think he might of thought it unwise to continue such an obvious display of his personal politics? I feel safe in my assumption that this billionaire is not about to challenge the current rule.

At my school and many others. We used to wear the yellow shirt with emblem every Monday. Nothing to do with Yellow shirts or PAD. Just honouring the kings day of birth.. it only became a big deal after the yellow and reds started clashing. The school til us for our safety to stop wearing ..

As for the OP. I really hope that old goat isn't able to buy Tesco back again.

But for those that don't know, this is why he wants it so much :

" Tesco bought a controlling stake in Dhanin's supermarket business Lotus in 1998 in the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis, paying 206 million pounds. That business now has more than 1,700 shops and represents nearly three-fourths of all of Tesco's Asia outlets."

Source : Reuters

Edited by casualbiker

No, you are completely wrong.

At one stage nearly the whol;e adult population were wearing yellow shirts on Mondays, this preceded the political yellow shirt movement.

Didn't he sell off Lotus to Tesco, and then becoming Tesco-Lotus, some years back, and used the Lotus profit to buy a 7-elleven franchise for Thailand...?

It has been named Tesco - Lotus from day one. He sold his shares to Tesco because he was in financial problems during the 1997 economic crisis. I think he owned 7/11 by that time already.

• Like 1