Turkish tourist shot dead on Koh Samui

Thaivisa News

Must be one he'll of a pub is security gaurds are armed.

Is it legal here for pub / bar / club security guards to be armed? A repeating shotgun no less by the report.

I guess many use off duty police and military, so maybe more are armed than you'd expect.

Sounds like a trigger-happy guard w a shotgun - really ... ? and planted evidence to claim self protection. Just another farang-killing to the statistics in Land of Scams

Sure, and then the guard planted 100K on top of it. Some people seriously need to get out of LOS quickly.....

• Like 2

as as an extra to my last post who on earth would carry TWO, yes 2 guns on them, total "fit-up" (only you, Bill the Kid)

Really.

Have you ever hear the expression "back up"?

If he was involved in protection and 'businesses" and carried a gun, he may well have decided to have a back up, hideaway, second gun. He also had a pocket knife. Looks like he was tooled up for a fight when he went back.

There are many.... Shootings here on Koh Samui, Its just not always publicized.

A note to self: avoid Samui Island by all means.

There is Turkish mafia and Russian mafia over there.

The same as Pattaya and Phuket, very criminalized place.

Yes, Barin, "self" might be the only person who would treat your note seriously.

Why do you do that?

Why go straight for the vitriol and character assassination?

Don't you feel a little childish acting like that?

This is like the gunfight at the ok corral, where arguments are settled by shoot outs.

All these illegally run foreign businesses staffed by undesirables and thugs that have muscled their way into the area should be shut down. These sorts of establishments located on many of the so-called paradise Islands are best avoided because visitors and tourists who are unfortunate enough to become involved in any disputes are likely to end up the same way as this Turkish chappie.

This is like the gunfight at the ok corral, where arguments are settled by shoot outs.

All these illegally run foreign businesses staffed by undesirables and thugs that have muscled their way into the area should be shut down. These sorts of establishments located on many of the so-called paradise Islands are best avoided because visitors and tourists who are unfortunate enough to become involved in any disputes are likely to end up the same way as this Turkish chappie.

Ha! Even the OK Corral shoout-out was preceded by a lot of restraint by the Earps brothers and Doc Holiday. The hostility went on for months before coming to a head.

Gun was planted on victim after his death to prevent murder trial .

and you know this because???

because it looks like it .

I was replying to your post, Billy the Kid, but whilst trying to do so, you have now edited it as above. The wifi in the coffee shop where I am typing this, here on Samui, is frustratingly slow and so I was not able to post my reply before you changed your comments.

Your personal experience prompted your first post that, here on Samui, the guns have been planted on the dead Turkish man to prevent a murder trial.

I am not doubting your personal experience, and so I can understand your cynicism, but the one point that neither you, nor the other Thai visa conspiracy theorists, have addressed is that, in the present case, the Thai police have also found 100,000 THB on the body. Planting two guns and a knife on the body would have been more than sufficient for their purposes I would have thought; a large stash of money as well sounds like "overkill".

For me, the fact that all this money has been found on him too suggests, at least on the balance of probabilities (51% or more), that, so far, no jiggery-pokery by the police has been going on. My view may change as further details emerge, but on the basis of what I have read so far, I am willing to give the authorities the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

Gun was planted on victim after his death to prevent murder trial .

and you know this because???

because it looks like it .

How exactly does it look like it? Is it

The TWO guns they planted on him when one would have sufficed

The 100k they generously left

The fact the guard stayed at the scene to argue in his defense rather than run

Or

The fact that this Turk was well known to be a thug

I take it you think Elvis is still alive as well?

• Like 2

"he had several businesses on Koh Samui and he had also been acting like a mafia providing protection to farang on the island."

"Thewet said Forlet was notorious for often engaging in quarrels after he became drunk."

But they classify him as a "tourist". dry.png

So he seems to have been known as a protector eh? Do farang need protection on Samui? Are Farang business what need protection? What's the local scoop on the island? I have not stayed there for any length of time yet.

As a Farang there is no protection you can get on Samui....If you get in trouble with one of the 3/4 Families that run the Island....you leave instantly....no delay....

if not your suicide'd body will be found...or you will be shot at night leaving a bar or entering your home....and the shooter will never be found.

Some of the conspiracy-lovers here are obviously not using their brains.. IF the guns were planted don't you think that his wallet would have been checked too? And why plant two guns? One would do the job too :P Besides, point out to me one single Thai that will leave 100.000 THB in a wallet, just one, come on...... This Turkish guy was obviously well known and had a reputation of being a nasty guy. I can relate to the security guy who probably expected him back and waited for him with an good old fashioned shotgun... I say 'Good riddance'!

Security guards are armed in many countries, leave your cultural biases home and learn to live where your backside resides.

My appologies, it was not meant to offend you and I am deeply sorry for the hurt caused by my post. I grew up in a country (Aust) where security gaurds are not armed especially at clubs and bars. Security involved in cash in transit maybe but the two week course wannabe cops aren't.

It's owned by one of the five families from Samui so yes, it's one hell of a pub. If as the article says, the Turkish guy fancied himself as a bit of a 'face' on the island then he would have known what reaction he would get when pulling out firearms. Carrying firearms in entertainment venues is not legal though, never mind repeating shotguns. Live by the sword and all that..

Edited by Alwyn

Security guards are armed in many countries, leave your cultural biases home and learn to live where your backside resides.

Nothing to do with cultural biases really. It might well be legal in many countries but it isn't legal in Thailand. The law changed in November 2013 making it illegal for anybody including security personnel (but not including police of course) to carry firearms in entertainment venues. It also became illegal to carry arms where crowds gather and where tourists visit. There's lots more to the law but that is the basis of it.

• Like 2

Koh Samui, Pattaya, Phuket full of foreign criminals and trouble makers. The three most dangerous places in Thailand. Yet millions of dumb expats and tourists love the place. Go figure ! You could not pay me enough to go there. The travel websites tell how wonderful and safe it is. Goes to show they can care less about tourists. Having said that. At least one less alcoholic on Samui now.

There are many.... Shootings here on Koh Samui, Its just not always publicized.

A note to self: avoid Samui Island by all means.

There is Turkish mafia and Russian mafia over there.

The same as Pattaya and Phuket, very criminalized place.

• Like 1

"he had several businesses on Koh Samui and he had also been acting like a mafia providing protection to farang on the island."

"Thewet said Forlet was notorious for often engaging in quarrels after he became drunk."

But they classify him as a "tourist". dry.png

not only that they fail to chuck him out with that knowledge of his demeanour but mr farang with only 399999 baht and 1-2 kids can exit on the first plane out.

I'm Turkish, and about 5 years ago a Turkish friend who lives in Thailand told me that there was a Kurdish guy who was like a mafia boss in Samui. He told me that he murdered the owner of a big hotel, but wasn't arrested because he was in partnership with the Samui police chief.

If that story was true, maybe it has something to do with this guy. Maybe the guy who was shot was him, or maybe he was one of the mafia soldiers working for this guy.

Unfortunately Thailand attracts criminals from everywhere, and there is also a particular amount of Turkey citizens involved in criminal activities.

• Like 2

I'm Turkish, and about 5 years ago a Turkish friend who lives in Thailand told me that there was a Kurdish guy who was like a mafia boss in Samui. He told me that he murdered the owner of a big hotel, but wasn't arrested because he was in partnership with the Samui police chief.

If that story was true, maybe it has something to do with this guy. Maybe the guy who was shot was him, or maybe he was one of the mafia soldiers working for this guy.

Unfortunately Thailand attracts criminals from everywhere, and there is also a particular amount of Turkey citizens involved in criminal activities.

Agreed, Thailand's biggest problem is a difficulty with law enforcement (from the top to the bottom).

The Thais know this, many foreigners know this also!