Favorite Wheel/Disc Brake Lock?

WingNut

I've got a Xena XX-6 w/alarm that's small enough to easily carry around (this is a consideration if you're going to travel with it), and a massive OnGuard Boxer disc lock with a 16mm shackle that would defeat most cutting options- it weighs over 3lbs, though, and I wouldn't want to carry it around (it comes with a belt clip which is just stupid as it would pull your pants down).;)

Honestly, I rarely use either, but the Xena fits better on my discs (note that some locks work better with a sportbike than others- research this before you buy one).

Thank you RSD. Good advice. At one time I was going to buy one of those "Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Locs" with the 60" chain, but as you said things like that are so damn heavy and probably overkill most of the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SMUB7G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was actually going to use it to lock my two motorcycle back tires together when I go away on extended trips so that nobody would be able to pick up either of my bikes and put them on a pickup truck and haul them away, but I don't think it is really going to be needed.

My brother used to live in NYC and once used one of those locks to chain his bicycle to some construction scaffolding on a building site in the Wall Street area. When he came out the bike was gone, along with the chain, and all the scaffolding was disassembled to get to his bike. They go to great lengths there to steal stuff and do it in broad daylight. It probably took them more than an hour to take all the scaffolding down or perhaps longer. Amazing. I think that is also why those locks have that " New York Fahgettaboudit" name because of the theft notoriety there.

The only downside with the disc brake locks though is that the bike can still be picked up and put on a truck. I guess you can also put a Lojack system in if you really want recovery protection.

I think I may just go for one of those Kryptonite disc locks on the link I provided above. Has no alarm, but will be fine for occasional use. I don't park my bike on the street very often anyway. So I just need a deterrent for a couple of hours once in a while.

I also found one guy on eBay who is selling it for $30 plus $14 shipping to Thailand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140779123472

Or is there a place that sells them locally perhaps?

Edited by WingNut

I think , for home use , a decent disc lock with a cable / chain locking bike/s together and to something immoveable ( not scafolding ) is the best option. And keep them well covered.A Ducati under a cover could be any bike , theives may not bother to look.

I installed a GSM GPS device on my bike. It won't prevent the bike getting stolen but will help you recover it (if you don't wait too long when it's gone). It also has a feature to immobilize the engine but I didn't utilize it as the chances that someone will start it to ride away are very low.

All the remote commands are sent from your mobile and I get vibration and motion alarms notifications on my mobile.

• Like 1

i use a Xena x2 from Panda Rider now.

It has no alarm but has a 14 mm pin so it is pretty strong.

but i have seen this Kovix brand at Burapha Bike week at 2000 thb. Quiet decent and looks as strong as Xena.

http://www.kovix-security.com/products_detail.php?ProId=62

It has build in alarm but good thing is you can remove the alarm module anytime - rechargeable via usb - which is good as these alarm modules are very sensitive and goes off out of blue.

• Like 1

I got a Xena X2 in the post today from Panda. I put the money in their account over the weekend and they sent it to me by EMS Monday and I got it today. Easy.

The thing is a lot bigger and heavier than I thought it might be, bit it looks really solid though.

The X1 probably would have been good enough. But the price of the X2 is 900 Baht and the X1 is 800 Baht. So it is only 100 Baht difference. Might as well have the X2 with the thicker 14mm pin instead of the smaller X1 pin which is only 6mm thick. It will just be a bit heavier to carry around in my bag while I am riding around. But before you buy an X2 they recommend that you check to make sure it will fit through the disc holes on your bike. I think the smaller X1 can be used with all bikes since the pin is thinner.

My personal feeling is though that as soon as someone sees one of these things in Thailand on a motorcycle that they aren't going to try and break it off to steal the bike. Too difficult. In some other countries they might be more prepared to remove one of these locks, but not in Thailand I am guessing. In Thailand I still think the biggest threat of theft is them lifting the bike up and putting it onto a truck. In which case none of these disc locks will prevent theft. Nor will the HISS key engine shutdown system. What you need is either a GPS device like what Shurup is using to try and get it back once it is stolen or a huge Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock with the 60" chain to lock your back tire to a pillar if you really want to prevent theft by the more tenacious thieves with trucks.

Also, the Xena lock says that it is Ice-Spray proof. They used to use liquid nitrogen to freeze Kryptonite locks in the states and then hit them with a hammer and they would shatter in order to steal bicycles. So I guess they are making them more resistant now to things like liquid nitrogen perhaps.

By the way II2, the Kovix lock does not say that it is Ice-Spray proof so I think the Xena X2 is a better choice perhaps. Seeing how thick that thing is, I tend to doubt it would be easy to freeze it with Freon gas (which is readily available here). I don't know if it can protect against liquid nitrogen, but that stuff isn't easy for the average thief to get his hands on.

I am also not really a fan of those alarms in these locks. Just something else that can cause possible problems and false alarms. If the bike can't be driven away or rolled away I think that is the main thing.

Edited by WingNut

II2 - That also is the reason I didn't really want one with an alarm. A nice idea, but as you said these things might go off at times for no reason. So instead of preventing a theft, I might end up with a bunch of angry neighbors instead.

• Like 1

I got a Xena X2 in the post today from Panda. I put the money in their account over the weekend and they sent it to me by EMS Monday and I got it today. Easy.

The thing is a lot bigger and heavier than I thought it might be, bit it looks really solid though.

The X1 probably would have been good enough. But the price of the X2 is 900 Baht and the X1 is 800 Baht. So it is only 100 Baht difference. Might as well have the X2 with the thicker 14mm pin instead of the smaller X1 pin which is only 6mm thick. It will just be a bit heavier to carry around in my bag while I am riding around. But before you buy an X2 they recommend that you check to make sure it will fit through the disc holes on your bike. I think the smaller X1 can be used with all bikes since the pin is thinner.

My personal feeling is though that as soon as someone sees one of these things in Thailand on a motorcycle that they aren't going to try and break it off to steal the bike. Too difficult. In some other countries they might be more prepared to remove one of these locks, but not in Thailand I am guessing. In Thailand I still think the biggest threat of theft is them lifting the bike up and putting it onto a truck. In which case none of these disc locks will prevent theft. Nor will the HISS key engine shutdown system. What you need is either a GPS device like what Shurup is using to try and get it back once it is stolen or a huge Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock with the 60" chain to lock your back tire to a pillar if you really want to prevent theft by the more tenacious thieves with trucks.

Also, the Xena lock says that it is Ice-Spray proof. They used to use liquid nitrogen to freeze Kryptonite locks in the states and then hit them with a hammer and they would shatter in order to steal bicycles. So I guess they are making them more resistant now to things like liquid nitrogen perhaps.

By the way II2, the Kovix lock does not say that it is Ice-Spray proof so I think the Xena X2 is a better choice perhaps. Seeing how thick that thing is, I tend to doubt it would be easy to freeze it with Freon gas (which is readily available here). I don't know if it can protect against liquid nitrogen, but that stuff isn't easy for the average thief to get his hands on.

I am also not really a fan of those alarms in these locks. Just something else that can cause possible problems and false alarms. If the bike can't be driven away or rolled away I think that is the main thing.

xena x2 is the right choice for a big bike imo. x1 is flimsier and 6 mm pin is good for scooters and bicycles.

i have also x1 that i bought for my cbr250 before and it is also not light. maybe x2 is double the weight but sure it gives more than double the protection.

regarding alarmed Xena locks, i always see complains of riders and couple of times i have seen alarms go off without any reason. you know, discs get hot and when you lock it, alarm goes somehow and they are sensitive and i am sure even a bug or a good wind can make the alarm go!

i believe gps and a hidden proper alarm is the best protection on top of a xena disc.

but hope you get a disc lock cable/reminder as you might forget it - please dont say you dont, everybody does, even the most experienced and that is why they sell these disc lock cables:)

Panda rider also has xena disc lock cable/reminder and it was like 100 thb something. get it before you damage your disc or fork.

LODCOIL.jpg

medscaleRock-Solid-Minder-Cable-1.jpg

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Yes, cable reminder is a good idea. I've banged it twice already on my new CBR650F with a very small and older Solex brand disc lock I have been using. No damage luckily. I can imagine the Xena X2 could do a lot of damage though because of its very heavy weight.

Another good thing is to put the lock as close to the brake pad as possible when you lock it in place. This way if you forget it then it will only travel a very short distance and have built up a lot less momentum when it bangs the brake disc.

Edited by WingNut

Hmm. I can see the X1 lock on Panda but the only cable they seem to stock looks like a heavy duty one to go with the alarm type locks at 900 baht rather than a reminder type cable. 100 baht more for the cable than the lock itself??

Probably not on the website. Download pic, put in email attachment.

Post 19 shows it.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Hmm. I can see the X1 lock on Panda but the only cable they seem to stock looks like a heavy duty one to go with the alarm type locks at 900 baht rather than a reminder type cable. 100 baht more for the cable than the lock itself??

You don't need a special cable, you can use any piece of string or a piece of rope or a bungee cord. Just use your fantasy.

You don't need a special cable, you can use any piece of string or a piece of rope or a bungee cord. Just use your fantasy.

that looks cheap though and elasticity is the key. also if colors are brighter like florescent, it is better.

you can tie a rope in your right arm too as a reminder for cheaper then!

I don't bother with extra locks/alarm on my big bikes.

On my PCX I have a very sturdy wire lock that I uses for down town Pattaya parking.

Never locks the bikes at my house, very good guards and the access to the village is limited to one point during nights and people don't living there can't enter unless a valid reason and leave id card at the gate, pizza hut riders and others.

I never heard of many big bikes being stolen in Thailand but I might be wrong, one poster lost his CBR250 and bought another 2nd hand one as replacement.

When I owned a HD never heard of any being stolen but one got his HD nipped when riding in Malaysia.

There was a video once posted on here about a year ago which was captured by the CCTV camera in the apartment building of a guy whose big bike was stolen in Pattaya. I think it was a liter bike if I remember correctly. All he could do was watch the guys in the video rolling his bike away down the street. And all of this could have been prevented with a sime 900 Baht disc lock.

I also live in a condo building with garage parking, security guards, CCTV, and a security gate in and out of the parking area and I still cover my bikes and put disc locks on them. For the Low cost of a disc lock I can't see a valid argument against having one.

• Like 2

Probably not on the website. Download pic, put in email attachment.

Post 19 shows it.

Cheers. I'll have a look at some local shops first to see if they stock it. If not I'll order online with the pic.