Farang tourists in uproar over beach beds prohibition in Phuket

Thaivisa News

Farang tourists uproar over rule of no beach beds in Phuket

Phuket:- Farang tourists became infuriated and cried foul after police prohibited them from putting up their own beach beds on popular beaches of Phuket, including Patong and Kamala.

Photos of police telling western tourists to clear the beds from Patong Beach and a video clip of tourists complaining about the rule were posted on Facebook pages, P news Phuket and Decha Sithidej, on Sunday.

P news Phuket also showed photos of farang tourists storming the Kamala police station on Sunday to complain about the rule that prohibits them from carrying their own beds to the beach.

As a gesture of protest, the tourists carried flyers handed over to them by police, which state the rule that no beach bed is allowed from February 12 onward. After the tourists at the Kamala beach cried foul and complained very nosily, the police allowed them to put up the beds temporarily.

But western tourists on the Patong beach were not loud enough and were told to take out the beds. One of them carried a paper with printed words apparently prepared by local Thais, saying “No summer dream on beach starting from 12 Feb 2015”.

A video clip posted by Decha Sithidej on his Facebook wall showed a farang saying he has been visiting Phuket for 20 years and he was disappointed over the new rule. He was sorry he could not use his beach bed and was forced to lie on the sand although he had spent a lot of money travelling to the island province. He might not come back next year.

But on Monday, Phuket Governor Nisitjan Somwong claimed that it was a misunderstanding. He said police did not evict tourists from the beach but they just told them to move to the 10-per-cent zone of the beach where beach beds are allowed.

RELATED: Video - tourist reduced to tears at Phuket beach

Tourist are pathetic... that's why they're called tourist. Really, complaining that they can't have their beach beds!

“[A]nother important difference between tourist and traveler is that the former accepts his own civilization without question; not so the traveler, who compares it with the others, and rejects those elements he finds not to his liking.”

Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

• Like 2

At Last visitors are starting to fight back , so many other excellent Asian holiday resorts, without the hassle of downtown Phuket, hopefully soon it will be just Russians and Indians squabbling amongst themselves, sadly gone are the days when we could hop in a cab at DonMuang 100$ Us for 1 weeks hire with driver drive down to Phuket tramp through the ulu to what is now Patong beach and set up our fishing camp! then came the big mistake we told the <deleted> yanks about it!!!

I didn't know that the Taxi drivers were yanks! I do remember that from 1967 to 1980 there were very few europeans visiting thailand because of the war next door. it was very pleasant then.

• Like 2

In Pattaya and Jomtien they have no beach beds every Wednesday. Why; Wed is beyond me. Maybe the sun does not come out on a Wednesday!!.

However, the outcome is that there are well less tha 25% of people on the beach compared to the other days. Plenty of parking tho.

It is obvious what the tourist wants.

Some new laws and decisions by the current Govt are just staggering, with no ryme or reason to say the least

Yes you can put your chair on the beach, but only if you give me MONEY!!!

Stupid buggers have no brains, no chairs on the beach.

Nobody thinks about trying to improve things for tourists, just block them from doing what tourists do around the world.

When the tourists are gone never to return, who will get the blame? The tourists thats who.

They do not understand Thai culture...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

In Pattaya and Jomtien they have no beach beds every Wednesday. Why; Wed is beyond me. Maybe the sun does not come out on a Wednesday!!.

However, the outcome is that there are well less tha 25% of people on the beach compared to the other days. Plenty of parking tho.

It is obvious what the tourist wants.

Some new laws and decisions by the current Govt are just staggering, with no ryme or reason to say the least

I noticed this on one day at Hat Kao Takiab Tai back in October. I assumed that the beach vendors had been tipped off that the authorities were coming to check on that day. So maybe Wednesday is inspection day in Pattaya so everyone colludes to conform to the law on that day. .

At Last visitors are starting to fight back , so many other excellent Asian holiday resorts, without the hassle of downtown Phuket, hopefully soon it will be just Russians and Indians squabbling amongst themselves, sadly gone are the days when we could hop in a cab at DonMuang 100$ Us for 1 weeks hire with driver drive down to Phuket tramp through the ulu to what is now Patong beach and set up our fishing camp! then came the big mistake we told the <deleted> yanks about it!!!

BOY must have been a LONG time ago $ 100 for ONE WEEK.

With driver will cost that per DAY now.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

This is all well and good, but what does it achieve, restricting only 10% of the beach area for sunbeds? Apart from the obvious of upsetting the very people that are attracted to the beach.

Does the beach regenerate?

IMHO, it is a similar mental approach of setting up a tiny smoking area, where the majority of people being serviced by that area actually smoke.

• Like 1

i've never used a beach bed in my life and i've been to a lot of beaches.

my sister lives along the northern beaches in aus. lovely beaches and never a beach bed in sight

do people need beach beds here because they dont clean the beaches? or some other reason? storm and tea cup surely.

What happened to putting a towel down on the beach and lying on it? I grew up in Sydney and that seemed to work perfectly well back then - what changed? Since when were beaches supposed to be littered with chairs, etc., like a living room.

or littered with towels like a bathroom

At least one can see the sea with people on towels rather than sitting around tables and sheltered by umbrellas. Your turn....

People who go on holiday in the high season don't deserve to see the sea. You could get off of your towel and go swimming, that way you could see the sea and the beach or sit on a chair and stare majestically over the poor sods lying on their towels.

• Like 1