Corrupt Thai Policeman Caught Extorting Money On Camera

kennypowers

Got his number, time for him to go!!

Will powers that be do anything? Probably not.

I like to know what other members on Thaivisa would do if they have the choice to pay on the spot 100 Baht or drive to the next police station and pay 300 - 500 Baht.
I drive a lot in Thailand and if you ask me, I always choose the pay on the spot 66% discount solution. It saves money and time and points.
Would you prefer to pay at the police station the triple amount?
  • Like 2

as soon as an elected government is in charge again in Thailand, the BIB can without any doubt continue to do their "daily business" undisturbed as they were used to for decades..... and disable all those nasty cams that makes them lose face (and cash)..... just a question of time....

The problem is most people will just pay up rather than taking the ticket because that, I assume, means producing your documents at a station within a certain time frame. A friend of mine was recently stopped in Chiang Mai for an illegal move on his bike. The officer gave him the choice of a bribe or going to the station. He was very clear that going to the station would result in a much harsher penalty. 500 Baht was exchanged.

chiang mai post # 7

Mods: The title is hugely misleading and defames the Thailand police force, the officer did not extort money, the law breaker offered a bribe to be let free and he was successful!

The acceptance of the monies offered is an offence as is the matter of offering money.To be pedantic both parties are guilty.

However the police officer having sworn to uphold the law is in a more serious breach of the law than the person who it is presumed offered the bribe.

I had great delight in my early plod days as an internal investigating officer' in the U'K of being involved in the catching a number of corrupt officers who later served time in prison.

Nothing worse than a crooked cop, and the one shown in the video clip,and the one shown in the video clip is crooked thus any defence of him and his actions is despicable.

• Like 1

Got his number, time for him to go!!

Will powers that be do anything? Probably not.

I like to know what other members on Thaivisa would do if they have the choice to pay on the spot 100 Baht or drive to the next police station and pay 300 - 500 Baht.
I drive a lot in Thailand and if you ask me, I always choose the pay on the spot 66% discount solution. It saves money and time and points.
Would you prefer to pay at the police station the triple amount?

that's not the point, but if you want to make it the point then if you break the law here you should pay the fine.

the point is that corruption in endemic in this country to the detriment of thai people and foreigners. this example may be a the thin end of the wedge but if thailand is going to improve for thai people then this this type of behavior has got to stop being the norm.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a double edge sword. One one hand, I love paying them off so they get out of my way and let me go when I need to go. On the other hand, it allows for drunks and people who shouldn't be driving, to continue driving.

That said, if me paying a ticket would result in 100s or 1000s of lives saved, I'll pay those tickets every day without complaint. But the truth is, Thais are reckless behind the wheel (all wheels) and are going to kill themselves and others no matter what. Knowing that, let me pay these jerks on the spot.