How many batteries have you had?

Goldieinkathu

I had to fill the battery with acid/water in the car park where I bought the battery cos the motor would not start sad.png .

I filled it up and after (I think) half hour it had built up enough charge to start it. Think the box said "Dry Charged".

Got home and put it on charge just in case....whistling.gif

Thanks for your reply.wai.gif

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a few weeks my car was not starting quite as easy. Took a couple of seconds to turn over and start and the dashboard lights were quite dim when cranking so knew it was time as it was a little over 4 years on this one. All my batteries have lasted 4-5 years.

I have a Yuasa battery and wanted to replace it with the same make and there was a store very near where I lived with a lot of Yuasa stocked. Went in and told them I wished another Yuasa due to the reliability but they said the current production is not as good as a few years ago and they convinced me to buy a 3k active hybrid battery. Certainly works well as the car started instantly by the touch of the key direct from the installation and been starting instantly since. They didn't put it on a charger, direct from the box as far as I could tell though I may have missed they had some precharged.

Didn't know the brand and not sure if I got duped into something that may not be as reliable. But seeing Transam got a 3k, I feel a little better about it. smile.png 3280 Baht, my Yuasa was around 2800 Baht 4 years ago.

I can find very little info on the battery but appears to be a hybrid wet/dry cell battery. Didn't know that it had battery fluid fill points as it looks just like the Yuasa. They are flush with the top of the battery not like when the caps were sticking way up in the air and you used a wrench to open them. wink.png

Battery Basics

BATTERIES - Wet or Dry Charged

Batteries can be produced as Wet-Charged, such as current automotive batteries are today, or they can be Dry-Charged, such as a motorcycle battery where an electrolyte solution is added when put into service.

WET-CHARGED: The lead-acid battery is filled with electrolyte and charged when it is built. During storage, a slow chemical reaction will cause self-discharge. Periodic charging is required. Most batteries sold today are wet charged.

DRY-CHARGED: The battery is built, charged, washed and dried, sealed, and shipped without electrolyte. It can be stored for up to 18 months. When put into use, electrolyte and charging are required. Batteries of this type have a long shelf life. Motorcycle batteries are typically dry charged batteries.

http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodules/batteries/105.html

Battery Basics

Batteries can be produced as Wet-Charged, such as current automotive batteries are today, or they can be Dry-Charged, such as a motorcycle battery where an electrolyte solution is added when put into service.

WET-CHARGED: The lead-acid battery is filled with electrolyte and charged when it is built. During storage, a slow chemical reaction will cause self-discharge. Periodic charging is required. Most batteries sold today are wet charged.

DRY-CHARGED: The battery is built, charged, washed and dried, sealed, and shipped without electrolyte. It can be stored for up to 18 months. When put into use, electrolyte and charging are required. Batteries of this type have a long shelf life. Motorcycle batteries are typically dry charged batteries.

Dry charged batteries DO NOT REQUIRED CHARGING. Mine = a 3K 40AMP maintenance free (you can see the waterlevel true a indicator).

At the shop he put the acid in, then put a currentsaver in the sigaretlighterholder - take the old batterie out - new one in - saver out - pay (1250THB) and start.

Have this batttrie now for over 3 years and feel up 1 time a LITTLE water.

Under hood heat kills lead acid batteries....The average life is 2 years, sadly.....sad.png

Not if you maintain them properly and its not a cheap model. Regular fluid checks incl top ups when needed and put on a battery charger when left for longer periods. No reason not to get 3+ years out of most ! I'm guessing most people never even check the fluid level and just replace the battery when it dies smile.png

You tell me how to "maintain' a battery to make it last longer other than putting water in it..?

Psst, he's a battery psychologist.

Under hood heat kills lead acid batteries....The average life is 2 years, sadly.....sad.png

Not if you maintain them properly and its not a cheap model. Regular fluid checks incl top ups when needed and put on a battery charger when left for longer periods. No reason not to get 3+ years out of most ! I'm guessing most people never even check the fluid level and just replace the battery when it dies smile.png

You tell me how to "maintain' a battery to make it last longer other than putting water in it..?

Psst, he's a battery psychologist.

I think Battery Whisperer is better. biggrin.png

from past experience a 'Maintenance-Free battery is a misnomer for 'throwaway' battery.

I've had this out with our local battery man, and we went through many of his dumped ones at back of shop. Looking at water level for example.

Basically the view is that the manufacturer only puts in just enough fluid to cover the bare minimum, and the manufacturers have tried hard to stop you trying to get into the battery to top it up.

I have a few sitting around, and have tried, successfully, to cut/prise/pull the tops off. Do the topping. Restore the tops with heavy duty silicone (currently favouring the masonry silicon for house roof tiles).

As already mentioned by others, only using Distilled or de-ionised fluid for the filling...

what a scam - maintenance-free "BAH MAK"

Edited by tifino

• 1 month later...
Like I said, regular water top ups and put it on a charger. Which you just repeated a few posts later smile.png

2 years is not the average unless you don't look after them.

Sorry, I know you hate being contradicted on anything motor related...

I had 2 "genuine" Toyota batteries that lasted 2 years each cos I didn't take my own advice, perhaps lazy, next battery longevity was vastly improved cos I used my own advice. smile.png

As for contradiction, fink if I want to say something, I will........thumbsup.gif

I've had two genuine Toyota batteries on my 2009 Fortuner...first battery came original with new Fortuner....it lasted approx 14 months...I always keep the battery water topped. Got another one at the same dealership and it last approx 18 months...once again I always kept the battery water topped...between the max and min lines. I "think" these batteries were manufactured for Toyota by FB. Then I switched to Boliden SMF Mx Free battery....first one lasted approx 22 months...got another Boliden SMF Mx Free battery and it died today after being on life support for the last week...it lasted approx 15 months.

Fortuner charging/starting system are fine....I've checked the sytems with my trusty multimeter under no load, load, and cranking....the dealership has also. The heat is just killing to the batteries much earlier than what I'm use to in the States.

So, today one of the in-laws was coming to have lunch with the wife and I. He drives a Isuzu truck, 3L diesel engine...I asked him what battery he has in his truck and how old is it. It was a GS Super Diamond Double Lid Mx Free battery....it had been in the truck for 2 years, 1 month...and the battery had been manufactured 2 years, 5 months ago. We did some non-load, load, and cranking voltage tests on it and it was still in good shape. However, he only drives his truck about half the amount I drive my Fortuner which means my battery is living in a hot engine compartment more than his.

In my research I got smart on figuring out how you can tell when a battery was manufactured by some manufacturers like GS so you can buy one that has not been setting on the shop's shelf going downhill for a year waiting to be sold. So, after doing some internet research on the battery to add onto my research over the last week I decided to go with above mentioned GS battery....it cost me Bt3,300 here in Bangkok today...it was manufactured in Apr 15...only two months on the shop's shelf.

I'm hoping I can someday reach the two year point on a battery here in Thailand...Diesel engines are rough on batteries in the hot weather of the tropics.

any recommendations on which make of battery to purchase?

Boliden silver cadmium sealed for life battery. Swedish design that works......thumbsup.gif

They haven't lasted for me. Had two such Boliden SMF Mx Free Batteries, RC 110A, CCA 940A. First one lasted 22 months (that was my longest lasting battery in Thailand so far), second one just died after only 15 months...died today. I'm through with Boliden. As of today I'm giving the GS Super Diamond Double Lid Mx Free battery a try because genuine Toyata batteries (actually made by FB I think) and Boliden SMF Mx Free batteries have had short lifespans on my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L engine...and the charging and starting systems are fine as checked my me, dealership, and battery shop.

Buy a charger, every couple of months put it on charge to get stuff moving off the plates. Alternator can't do that.....

You are probably talking an Equalization Charge which is fancy words for charging the battery at around 15V for X-amount of time....a voltage significantly higher than the Float Charge the alternate provides of around 13.5V.

If charging at around 15V it causes gassing in the electrolyte due to stuff moving off the plates) which needs to be well vented and in most Mx Free batteries they are so well sealed doing an Equalization Charge must be done with care. In batteries with water fill/check caps the gassing is less of an issue due to the better venting and you can remove the caps during the Equalization Charge. Also, you need to have a charger that will actually go/adjust to around 15V versus just mimicking alternator voltages.

Edit: P.S. I do plan to look into getting a charger if I can find one that can truly give an Equalization Charge vs just mimicking an alternator charge....more research for me and my laptop (and Chang beer) to do. Cheers.

Edited by Pib

Here a nice and short article talking battery Equalization Charge. Link

And here's a partial quote for the article

The optional equalizing phase is a controlled 5% overcharge to equalize and balance the voltage and specific gravity in each cell by increasing the charge voltage. Equalizing reverses the build-up of the chemical effects like stratification where acid concentration is greater in the bottom of the battery. It also helps remove sulfate crystals that might have built up on the plates. The frequency recommendation varies by manufacturer from once a month to once a year or is based on a specific gravity test where the difference between cells is .030 (or 30 "points"). To equalize, fully recharge the battery. At this point, increase the charging voltage to the manufacturer's recommendations, or if not available, ADD 5%. Heavy gassing should start occurring. Take specific gravity readings in each cell once per hour. Equalization has occurred once the specific gravity values no longer rise during the gassing stage.

Batteries do deteriorate fast here. Mine tend to last about 3 years.

The batteries over here are not the best quality. Usually they die every year. If it's a good one maybe 2 year, but that's all

2 years is not my experience, so far, as mentioned, around 3 years. Also my present battery is almost 3 years old.

Yes, my experience, 3 years and a little bit and it was time for a change as I think it was close to letting me down ... a lot to do with the heat in the engine bay. The battery that was in the 5-series I had lasted well over 5 years but that was located in the boot.

My current battery is 4 years old (on a Mitsu PJS). However, for my previous car (a Honda Accord) the battery lasted only 2 years, a similar experience to my sister-in-law with her Honda City, which again lasted only a couple of years.

The batteries over here are not the best quality. Usually they die every year. If it's a good one maybe 2 year, but that's all

2 years is not my experience, so far, as mentioned, around 3 years. Also my present battery is almost 3 years old.

What is the size and type of engine? (i.e., diesel 3L, petrol 2L, etc)

What brand name is the battery and type? (i.e., FB wet/add water type, FB maintenance free, etc)

Thanks.

What is the size and type of engine? (i.e., diesel 3L, petrol 2L, etc)

What brand name is the battery and type? (i.e., FB wet/add water type, FB maintenance free, etc)

Thanks.

All no idea, original Mazda 2.2. I don't do any maintenance, so I presume maintenance free. Same experience with original Isuzu, never owned any car 6 years so can't say anything about other batteries. Edited by stevenl

Thanks. A Mazda 2.2L would be a petrol engine and a small petrol engine of 2.2 liters puts a lot less stress on battery during startup (i.e., cranking amperage pulled) compared to diesel engines which are high compression...around twice the compression ratio of a petrol engine.

Another key factor is how much you drive it and in what driving conditions. If you don't put many kilometers on the vehicle per year and don't have a lot of stop-and-go/setting in city traffic type driving then the engine compartment where the battery lives stays cooler which means the battery stays a lot cooler which means the battery lasts longer---high temperate is a battery killer. And I would guess folks in northern Thailand where it's cooler year round and even gets a little chilly at night during certain months get better battery life than folks who live in hotter portions of Thailand like the central/southern parts.

We all seem to have different lifespan experiences with our batteries in Thailand, even for the top quality batteries, but in many ways we are not doing good comparisons when we don't also evaluate the person's vehicle engine type & size, his driving habits & locations (country roads primarily or jammed up city driving primarily), average temperature of his living/driving locations, etc.

Thanks. A Mazda 2.2L would be a petrol engine and a small petrol engine of 2.2 liters puts a lot less stress on battery during startup (i.e., cranking amperage pulled) compared to diesel engines which are high compression...around twice the compression ratio of a petrol engine.

Another key factor is how much you drive it and in what driving conditions. If you don't put many kilometers on the vehicle per year and don't have a lot of stop-and-go/setting in city traffic type driving then the engine compartment where the battery lives stays cooler which means the battery stays a lot cooler which means the battery lasts longer---high temperate is a battery killer. And I would guess folks in northern Thailand where it's cooler year round and even gets a little chilly at night during certain months get better battery life than folks who live in hotter portions of Thailand like the central/southern parts.

We all seem to have different lifespan experiences with our batteries in Thailand, even for the top quality batteries, but in many ways we are not doing good comparisons when we don't also evaluate the person's vehicle engine type & size, his driving habits & locations (country roads primarily or jammed up city driving primarily), average temperature of his living/driving locations, etc.

No, a Mazda 2.2 is in my case a diesel engine. I live in the south BTW.

No, a Mazda 2.2 is in my case a diesel engine. I live in the south BTW.

I stand corrected on it being a petrol...but at least it's a smaller size diesel.

Battery died a couple of days ago so we did the rounds yesterday of all the places that sold batteries, also talked to the outfit that does our service and a couple of others who are supposed to know something about these things.

Came down to a choice between Panasonic maintenance free, GS wet of FB Hybrid. all with 1yr warranty and 400 for the old battery

Advice was that GS were good a couple of years ago but quality has dropped.

Ended up going with FB Hybrid with 135 amps for extra cranking power for Isuzu 2.5 diesel, 2200B with the 400 for the old one :

post-12069-0-49420900-1435063337_thumb.j

Battery died a couple of days ago so we did the rounds yesterday of all the places that sold batteries, also talked to the outfit that does our service and a couple of others who are supposed to know something about these things.

Came down to a choice between Panasonic maintenance free, GS wet of FB Hybrid. all with 1yr warranty and 400 for the old battery

Advice was that GS were good a couple of years ago but quality has dropped.

Ended up going with FB Hybrid with 135 amps for extra cranking power for Isuzu 2.5 diesel, 2200B with the 400 for the old one :

I have a GS wet and it has lasted for over 3 years but I have noticed it appears to be going. Can you qualify the advice regarding the drop in their quality at all as I was considering just replacing with another?

Or anybody else have a view?

Every year put my honda in for it's service at the dealership, without fail get the phone call late afternoon letting me know battery is on its way out, would i like it replaced. I suspect they do this to everyone, fast to change and a quick profit i guess. Had the same battery going strong for it's third year.

any recommendations on which make of battery to purchase?

Boliden silver cadmium sealed for life battery. Swedish design that works......thumbsup.gif

They haven't lasted for me. Had two such Boliden SMF Mx Free Batteries, RC 110A, CCA 940A. First one lasted 22 months (that was my longest lasting battery in Thailand so far), second one just died after only 15 months...died today. I'm through with Boliden. As of today I'm giving the GS Super Diamond Double Lid Mx Free battery a try because genuine Toyata batteries (actually made by FB I think) and Boliden SMF Mx Free batteries have had short lifespans on my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L engine...and the charging and starting systems are fine as checked my me, dealership, and battery shop.

I want to correct above where I said my first Boliden SMF Mx Free battery only lasted 22 months....after further review of my battery receipts it lasted 28 months. And as mentioned above the 2nd Boilden SMF Mx Free battery only lasted 15 months. So here is how my battery history has went so far with my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L diesel bought late Oct 08:

- 1st battery...came with the brand new SUV...it was a FB 90AH non-Mx Free battery (i..e, need to check & add water which I did religiously): lasted 21 months

- 2nd battery I bought from the Toyota dealership...it said a Toyota battery but I think it was really made by FB... 90AH non-Mx Free battery: lasted 16 months

- 3d battery...my first Boliden SMF Mx Free battery...110AH: lasted 28 months

- 4th battery...my second Boliden SMF Mx Free battery...110AH: lasted 15 months...passed away on 21 Jun 15

- 5th battery...my current battery...a GS Super Diamond Double Lid Mx Free 85AH....installed on 21 Jun 15. Time will tell how long it lasts.

The first two batteries which were non-Mx Free FB batteries lasted an average of 18.5 months

The next two batteries which were Mx Free Boliden SMF batteries lasted an average of 21.5 months.

The charging and starting system is working fine...I've personally done non-load, load, and cranking tests on it...the dealership has also...and a couple of battery shops have done their checks....everything is fine. I take the vehicle to the dealership every 10KM for its mx checkups/oil changes/etc. The Fortuner gets driven almost everyday in Bangkok and nearby provinces...driven approximately 22,000 kilometers per year....a combination of approx 60% metro Bangkok city driving (stop and go but can still get up to 80KMH many times) and 40% highway provincial driving doing 80KMH to 110KMH. And when the SUV is not on the road it's home parked in the shade of the carport.

Battery Basics

At the shop he put the acid in, then put a "currentsaver" in the sigaretlighterholder - take the old batterie out - new one in

Do they always use a "current saver" to swap a battery. , ie what happens if you change a battery with out using it ?

brling , without current saver you can loose radio station memory - have to enter the "reset code" , and electric seat / mirror positions . You can by-pass this , by connecting a wire to + and - main leads from the battery , that remain connected once you remove the main connecters .