Fans for the house

Litlos

I will be moving into a new house in a few months and will be getting about 6 wall fans installed. My experience with the Hatari brand is that on buying the fan pull it apart and put some extra oil on the motor bearings and a bit more grease on the oscillating section and they work well for about a year or so. Then pull apart and do the lube again as soon as they start getting noisy. So basically they seem to be functional, but they shortcut on the oil and grease and do not allow for much retention of the oil at the motor bearings using felt pads or similar. So will be OK but ongoing maintenance required.

So looking at a few different brands and there are Panasonic and Hitachi available at Home Pro and not to much more expensive. Anyone have any experience with either of these brands?

Cheers

Loved my Panasonic, excellent quality and flow.

Had the blades of two different Hatari fans spontaneously explode. Very exciting sound when you are taking a nap. The shrapnel tore a gouge in my LED TV.

+1 for the Panasonic. Their lower end ones have 3-year warranty, the higher end ones have a 5-year warranty.

I've put a ceiling fan in every room in the house I had built in 2008 and in some outside covered veranda and outside covered balconies, I've owned several brands of standing fans and two wall mounted fans. It is the proper installation and balancing of the ceiling fans that made a significant difference in my personal experience. Hunter Fans, Emerson celing fans, Compass East, CEI Fans, Mr. Ken Fans, and Mitsubishi ceiling fans have worked out well for me in Buriram once they were properly installed. The Mitsubishi standing fans and Mitsubishi wall mounted fans have been the most quiet and dependable in Buriram. In Phuket at Makro the very first fan I bought in Thailand was a Hatari floor standing fan. It was quickly given to family in a Buriram village as it is far too noisy compared to the Mitsubishi. The Toshiba Fan and the Panasonic floor standing fans I bought at Big C are a notch noisier than the Mitsubishi floor standing fans I bought at Buriram Supply Siemens appliance store or at Ruangsangthai Builders Merchants in Buriram. I know for a fact the authorized repair facility for in warranty and out of warranty Mitsubishi fans in Buriram is the same shop that is the only authorized water pump repair facility in Buriram province. If you own a Mitsubishi fan and you would like ti fixed properly and it is under the 5 year motor warranty you might seek out the Mitsubishi water pump repair service center in your Province. They will most likely have the parts in stock and the proper training to fix a Mitsubishi ceiling fan or Mitsubishi wall fan, not just the Mitsubishi floor standing fan in a proper manner.

The "somchai" repair shop might not have access to genuine Mitsubishi parts and certainly can not make a warranty no charge repair. But the "somchai" repair facility can be so useful for a Hatari fan repair. I've met several of the management of Kang Yong Electric Public Company Limited of Samutprakam who actually manufacture and warranty the Mitsubishi household water pumps and Mitsubishi electric fans in Thailand. Mr. Artit Manubrud the deputy department manager stressed to me that Kang Yong Electric Public Company would gladly provide parts and technical training for any authorized Mitsubishi repair service center in Thailand, not only the Mitsubishi repair facility in Buriram Province.

post-20604-0-59947500-1424655290_thumb.j

post-20604-0-81893300-1424655422_thumb.j

post-20604-0-19414000-1424655492_thumb.j

bob,

your comments about the various topics here on TV are always helpful and informative but today I had to write a comment to say that now after a few years I'm thinking every comment is a written ad for the shop in Buriram. How much of a vested interest do you have in that local outfit?

Nice to know info re: fans though

I vote for Mitsubishi wall fans over Hatari any day

• Like 2

I have a floor standing Hatari and I sure do like it. I've used this thing a lot for the last 5 years and only had to replace the blade after I did a bone head maneuver and gravity won the bout causing the cage and blade to collide. I even used it for a year after I super-glued the three pieces of the one blade that broke. Finally found a replacement blade and it still works like a champ. pg

Without doubt go for National Panasonic, I have had some running

for 15 years or more,regular cleaning and a drop of oil,they just

keep on going, the only problem I have had is the part that contains

the very strong spring,they do crack over time,due to the pressure

of the spring I suppose, but I found spares at Amorn,and fixed them

myself, I have had, Hatari and Imarflex and both are crap.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2015 at 11:54 AM, worgeordie said:

Without doubt go for National Panasonic, I have had some running

for 15 years or more,regular cleaning and a drop of oil,they just

keep on going, the only problem I have had is the part that contains

the very strong spring,they do crack over time,due to the pressure

of the spring I suppose, but I found spares at Amorn,and fixed them

myself, I have had, Hatari and Imarflex and both are crap.

regards Worgeordie

thanks for the advice about greasing.  my problem is a bit different. I  have 2 beach front houses, with a total of approx. 15 fans. Consequently, the  fan frames go rusty pretty quickly, no matter what brand. Up to now,  I have sprayed red oxide...which extends the look, by a year or two. I - is there anywhere one can buy replacement frames (by that I mean the metal protective cages at front and back).  ? For these brands, Mitsubishi, Sharp. Hatari (ahem). Only reason I would spend money on replacing the protective cage for the Hatari is I have 2;  both18 inch, remote controlled.

6 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

thanks for the advice about greasing.  my problem is a bit different. I  have 2 beach front houses, with a total of approx. 15 fans. Consequently, the  fan frames go rusty pretty quickly, no matter what brand. Up to now,  I have sprayed red oxide...which extends the look, by a year or two. I - is there anywhere one can buy replacement frames (by that I mean the metal protective cages at front and back).  ? For these brands, Mitsubishi, Sharp. Hatari (ahem). Only reason I would spend money on replacing the protective cage for the Hatari is I have 2;  both18 inch, remote controlled.

Only ever seen replacement fan blades,you could try the distributor of your makes,to see

if they will /can supply them,you could try painting them with rust control,(forget the actual name),

it's like an acid,paint it on and it eats the rust,then you can spray red oxide,and maybe a finishing 

coat of white gloss,should  last longer.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like Mitsubishi, so wife shopped around and found wall mount remote-control 3-speed, 18" or 24"(?) fans.  They have oscillation control, rhythm and timer.  The we had our electrician wire in outlets everywhere we expected to mount them, so no hanging wires.  We had 2 (limited) choices -- white and charcoal. And we had to order them -- as I recall, Home Hub in KK.

They are not as quiet as a Mitsubishi pedestal fan we had for 7-8 years, but they are quieter than a Hatari we had in a previous house.

Edited by klikster
add info