Thai politicians impeached or guilty of election cheats cannot contest the next elections

webfact

Politicians impeached or guilty of election cheats cannot contest the next elections

2-25-2015-9-28-20-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Drafting Committee has introduced new provisions in the draft constitution which will bar politicians who used to be impeached or were found guilty of election fraud by the court from contesting the next election.

CDC spokesman Kamnoon Sitthisamarn said Wednesday that another new provision proposed by the CDC was that in order to win an election a candidate must get more supporting votes from the electorate than the “No Vote” ballots casted in the poll.

Regarding the provision on the termination of the membership of the MPs, the CDC had proposed that memberships of the MPs would come to end after the House dissolution by the prime minister after he was censured by the parliament.

Kamnoon explained the above provision means that the prime minister was obliged to dissolve the House after he was censured in the parliament.

Asked whether former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra can contest the next election after the expiration of the five-year ban from politics, the CDC spokesman said it was still unclear because the National Legislative Assembly which impeached her was not an elected organization.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/politicians-impeached-or-guilty-of-election-cheats-cannot-contest-the-next-elections

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-26

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

.... politicians who used to be impeached or were found guilty of election fraud by the court,

Why only ban them for 5 years?
A lifetime ban would be much better.

Why Thailand is struggling in gerneral to ban scammers, fraudsters and criminals from all public offices and institutions?

Indeed those who would cheat to get into a position of power or when they are in power do not deserve another chance to cheat.

Ban them for life no matter which party they belong to.

The whole point of the exercise is to get honest trustworthy people into politics who will run the country for the benefit of the people and the country, not for themselves or any person or organization.

Robbie, i agree 100% that all people guilty of abusing power, corruption etc should be banned for life.

For me the issue revolves around who is doing the 'judging'.

Rightly or wrongly the actions of the judiciary, the 'independent' agencies and the various other investigative bodies have led a lot of people to question their independence, their motivations etc.

Somehow the Junta need to find a way to increase the credibility of these investigative bodies, so when bans, impeachments and the rest are issued, then people should be applauding the work, not automatically suspiciously eyeing any other 'reasons' for the judgement due to preconceived skepticism.

integrety and second agenda, we will never know.

It is no coincidence at all that these provisions are to be in place with most of the elected Senate (pre-coup) under consideration for impeachment.

If we were playing chess, the junta would lose -- they telegraph their intentions as badly as the police announcing a crackdown in the news several days before the crackdown. Different tactics with the same outcome.

Same same, but d i f f e r e n t.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like popular politicians and you don't trust Democracy. Next.

How democratic is it when a non elected fugitive criminal openly runs the government, bringing back his mates into roles as soon as their 5 year cheating bans expire?

Hardly elected now were they? Yeah for Shin Democracy!

• Like 2

Shinawatra was elected more times than any other Thai PM.

He was removed by a military coup. Not by the ballot box.

Do you know what democracy is?

P.S. I'm not a supporter of TS.

He removed himself. He then resigned his caretaker position etc etc

I know what an actual liberal democracy is and Thailand didn't have that under Thaksin or any of his proxy parties.

• Like 2

.... politicians who used to be impeached or were found guilty of election fraud by the court,

Why only ban them for 5 years?

A lifetime ban would be much better.

Why Thailand is struggling in gerneral to ban scammers, fraudsters and criminals from all public offices and institutions?

Indeed those who would cheat to get into a position of power or when they are in power do not deserve another chance to cheat.

Ban them for life no matter which party they belong to.

The whole point of the exercise is to get honest trustworthy people into politics who will run the country for the benefit of the people and the country, not for themselves or any person or organization.

Robbie, i agree 100% that all people guilty of abusing power, corruption etc should be banned for life.

For me the issue revolves around who is doing the 'judging'.

Rightly or wrongly the actions of the judiciary, the 'independent' agencies and the various other investigative bodies have led a lot of people to question their independence, their motivations etc.

Somehow the Junta need to find a way to increase the credibility of these investigative bodies, so when bans, impeachments and the rest are issued, then people should be applauding the work, not automatically suspiciously eyeing any other 'reasons' for the judgement due to preconceived skepticism.

Ok then take a look at who are questioning the motivations and decisions of the judiciary, right now.

It would seem that only the supporters of those who have been brought before the courts or other institutions are the ones doing the questioning, that is the ones with an agenda. And right now only one particular group.

I don't know about your "A lot of people" I don't see many if any of the ordinary people doing the questioning, that those who are questioning are claiming they represent 'a lot of people' in my opinion is also something to be questioned. For it would appear that many of those doing the questioning have a stake in the outcome of the investigations and charges, whether it be political or financial.

So how to make the judiciary and independent orginisations more acceptable to most people, for there will always be those who will never believe, no matter what is done, that a verdict is fair.

Look at the not to distant past when judges were threatened and intimidated, there were coffins burned and grenades thrown, statements made that politicians would never accept a courts verdict no matter what it was (this changed with a favorable verdict).

When we have behavior like that from people who should be roll models, even before a case has been brought, what chance is there of getting respect for courts.

So it works both ways, as long as we are going to have people who are saying that if they are going to be investigated of charged with crime or wrongdoing they will bring out supporters to attack courts or other agencies then it makes it very difficult for the law to work.

Recently there has been a shake up of judges with 4 top judges being dismissed :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/750156-four-senior-judges-fired-for-gross-disciplinary-violations/

So there is a judicial committee which oversees the judges, no doubt you will ask who checks up on them.

• Like 2

I know what an actual liberal democracy is and Thailand didn't have that under Thaksin or any of his proxy parties.

No he didn't. He was removed by a coup d'etat in 2006.

I agree with you that there was no actual liberal democracy whilst he was in power. I'll go further. There wasn't one under previous governments, either.

Edited by KarenBravo

No he didn't. He was removed by a coup d'etat in 2006.

I agree with you that there was no actual liberal democracy whilst he was in power. I'll go further. There wasn't one under previous governments, either.

No, he dissolved Parliament. Then quit the caretaker PM slot, then returned, then....