Ford Everest - All New 2015

Barontt

A couple of local videos that show the difference between EV's Terrain Command system vs. the more conventional 4WD system in the Revo/Fortuner, driving up the same slippery slope:

EV:

https://youtu.be/sNQlhTZG4a4?t=12m39s

Revo:

https://youtu.be/-wWpIVw5-jI

Sorry, I should point out that you only need to watch the first few seconds of the first video, then watch the 2nd video for the comparison.

I wasn't sure if there was going to be a track left after the Revo went up :P

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was a bit ugly, and it made a mess of going up the hill....

There have been some who've suggested that a conventional 4WD system in the hands of an experienced off-road driver, would match the EV's capabilities.

These videos clearly show that's not the case - there's just a higher level of capability in the Everest that no amount of driver experience can compensate for :)

There have been some who've suggested that a conventional 4WD system in the hands of an experienced off-road driver, would match the EV's capabilities.

These videos clearly show that's not the case - there's just a higher level of capability in the Everest that no amount of driver experience can compensate for smile.png

https://youtu.be/puaPTmxwwhg

another price tag though tongue.png

OFF TOPIC

and you just can't beat real driver skills (with the right 4x4)

https://youtu.be/XuMpYu9Jt2I

https://youtu.be/aos11eFzHok

Edited by raffo77

These videos clearly show that's not the case - there's just a higher level of capability in the Everest that no amount of driver experience can compensate for smile.png

https://youtu.be/puaPTmxwwhg

another price tag though tongue.png

Hehe, Land Rover weren't too happy with Ford using all that intel they gleaned when they owned them:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/21/land-rover-to-ford-good-luck-with-terrain-management-just-rem/

Note that the Ford system has now had another 5 years of refinement, and the one offered on the Everest is their most advanced version yet (and pretty much identical to the LR system)

Sorry IMHO, Not totally convinced by the youtube videos. Sure the Everest has a sophisticated 4WD system but that Revo looks like it needs either traction control, less rigid suspension or a better driver.

In any case, very few PPV owners in Thailand test the limits of their 4WD system so debating the merits is interesting but about as important as 0 to 60 times. Terrain Response Management systems are not going to make a lot of difference if the most challenging 4WD adventure is driving in a flooded Soi or parking in a muddy car park.

Constant 4WD vs part time 4WD is a more important comparison. The Everest and the PJS have the advantage of constant 4WD that can be used on the road. The rest are part time 4WD so are only going to be used occasionally at best.

Edited by Jitar

The Revo looks like it needs either traction control, less rigid suspension or a better driver.

Traction control is disabled in Toyota's as soon as you engage 4L...

ESC or VSC usually turn of with 4L. Wonder why Toyota cut traction control?

Edited by Jitar

I personally like differential locks. They are simple and they work. There are circumstances that the dif lock can cause the back end to want to slide sideways. The more sophisticated traction controls use the brake on the low traction side to avoid slipping sideways. Usually simple is better, but these days, safety trumps simple.

Off topic some more. When I was a kid, we had TRUE differential locks. We would weld the pinion gears together. Absolutely no slippage like the old positraction differentials had. Just a bit hard on tires when making sharp turns.

Edited by Gary A

JengPing, on 22 Oct 2015 - 14:04, said:JengPing, on 22 Oct 2015 - 14:04, said:

Hey all

My first post here.

Now, my long-awaited EV T + has arrived

For others who are waiting so you can make an estimate of delivery

Order date 2015-04-27

Delivery Date 2015-10-16

Wait time 5 months 20 days

Here it is

attachicon.gif007B.jpg

attachicon.gif003B.jpg

Mine is still 'somewhere' ... Ford phoned yesterday and their promise for this month, which they gave last week, could now be a 'porky'. Anyway the lady said I'll phone you next week with an update ... at least I'm being kept informed.

Looks nice ... I ordered white ... good choice I think.

Them there windows look dark ... what did you have put on?

Edited by JAS21

Hey all

My first post here.

Order date 2015-04-27

Delivery Date 2015-10-16

Here it is

attachicon.gif007B.jpg

attachicon.gif003B.jpg

Mine is still 'somewhere' ... Ford phoned yesterday and their promise for this month, which they gave last week, could now be a 'porky'. Anyway the lady said I'll phone you next week with an update ... at least I'm being kept informed.

I agree, I told my step daughter's husband to take care of this, which was a mistake I should have predicted. I sent him the attached image that no misunderstanding could occur. I'll correct this when I come down in January.

Nice but very impractical and dangerous in my opinion.

post-247739-0-04458300-1445500601_thumb.

I agree, I told my step daughter's husband to take care of this, which was a mistake I should have predicted. I sent him the attached image that no misunderstanding could occur. I'll correct this when I come down in January.

attachicon.gifTint01A.jpg

Well, with guidance that unclear, what do you expect? 555 tongue.png You even shaded the film on the picture pretty much accurately, LOL.

Looks to me like you got 95% all the way round.

Edited by IMHO

Well, with guidance that unclear, what do you expect? 555 tongue.png You even shaded the film on the picture pretty much accurately, LOL.

You have almost right, 60% in the front and 80% in the rear partclap2.gif

His response when I wonder if it was dark in there was

"I've driven cars with similar films for 15 years and never had any problems, just nice and cool"

Whatever, it was only the film that was included free.

I plan to put on ceramic film.

Nice rims and tires on this new, red-plated Everest spotted in Villa Pattaya parking.

post-35874-0-97472700-1445566997_thumb.j

I reckon the stock 20" rim size on the EV was a great choice from Ford versus the rather 'vacant' looking wheel arches on the Ranger/WT with their stock 18" offering.

Edited by NanLaew

I reckon the stock 20" rim size on the EV was a great choice from Ford versus the rather 'vacant' looking wheel arches on the Ranger/WT with their stock 18" offering.

That may be true, but those rims 'nice' ??

Yuk.

"I've driven cars with similar films for 15 years and never had any problems, just nice and cool"

sixty percent at the front is way too much for driving at night time. 20%, like you said, for the windscreen, and 40% for the front doors. I've almost ran into a bike on a dark road with 40% at the front and sides. Best to go lighter as you know.

Hey all

My first post here.

Order date 2015-04-27

Delivery Date 2015-10-16

Here it is

attachicon.gif007B.jpg

attachicon.gif003B.jpg

That's almost exactly what we did, except we put 40% on the windshield too; it's fine actually at night. 60% is a LOT darker, that definitely would not be okay for any window you want to see out of at night.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have a question on the cheapo 2.2 two wheel drive: it has traction control, but will this help at slow speeds when one wheel loses traction like when diagonally stuck in a ditch or whatever? I have gotten 2WD vehicles stuck that way, so it would really help if the 2WD version also used traction control or limited slip or whatever for the rear wheels..

I have a question on the cheapo 2.2 two wheel drive: it has traction control, but will this help at slow speeds when one wheel loses traction like when diagonally stuck in a ditch or whatever? I have gotten 2WD vehicles stuck that way, so it would really help if the 2WD version also used traction control or limited slip or whatever for the rear wheels..

It will help to a degree, but there's only so much it can do by applying brakes to one wheel - it's not going to perform like a locker diff, or 4WD.

Here's the best video I could find to illustrate:

It will help to a degree, but there's only so much it can do by applying brakes to one wheel - it's not going to perform like a locker diff, or 4WD.

Doesn't the 2WD version come with LSD?

Doesn't the 2WD version come with LSD?

I haven't seen any mention of an LSD.

sixty percent at the front is way too much for driving at night time. 20%, like you said, for the windscreen, and 40% for the front doors. I've almost ran into a bike on a dark road with 40% at the front and sides. Best to go lighter as you know.

Just use any of the more expensive films. I've had V-Kool put on the Fortuner, never regretted it. It's visually very light, maybe 20% or so, but it blocks 99%+ of UV and it keeps the car as cool as it can be. Drove a rental car with one of those cheap super dark films, it's just dumb, you can't see anything at night.

Not sure if posted before but pretty impressive results:

http://paultan.org/2015/10/26/2015-ford-everest-gets-five-star-ancap-safety-rating/

Indeed. Also interesting that they actually put up an Everest for crash testing... the Fortuner itself wasn't tested, they based it's results on the Hilux Revo: http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/toyota/fortuner/3025d6