Longevity of Expats in Thailand

lumply

I thought I would live maybe another 2 years in Thailand before I finally moved over 2 years ago. I had a health check before I left Europe, and they estimated my life expectancy 35 more years or more. I am immune against most tropical diseases, no pain in my knee, no itching skin from overheated air, slightly underweight, low blood pressure, no drugs anymore, and I feel younger than 15 years ago.

I thought moving to Thailand would be the end of my life, now it looks if it's the beginning of a new life.

All kinds of problems of course, mostly from misunderstandings back in Germany.

I wouldn't even go back to Germany when I'm sick, I had my experiences with Farang medicine.

Maybe travel a bit, there are still some countries where I've never been in my life.

But first of all: Make my gf and her daughter happy. They deserve it.

if you are German you should have watched in German TV; OBESE LIVE LONGER. So be careful with your underweight.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Location Location Location will impact hugely.

Just as it would in say, London compared to the Lake district, or New York compared to Oregon.

as would lifestyle, bar fly/ entertainment district regular, against rural village hermit, and every variation in between.

If you mean in the Lakes district or Oregon you would live happier or better I completely disagree. I don't know if this is happening in London or Sydney but in cities like Boston and NewYork City the 'empty nesters' are selling big houses in wealthy suburbs for 2,3 or 4 million and buying awesome condos in downtown Boston and Manhatten. They have less space to worry about, sometimes no car or one car, have restaurants, museums, live music and entertainment at their door step, the buildings have full amenities and they live a much more stress free life. With less bedrooms the 'whole' family visits less too!

I find Aussies that "hang around" Thais more fun and youthful than Aussies that "hang around" Aussies; within their same age-group.

I believe it reflects on their physical health.

Having said that, when the "shit hits the fan" as it will do as we age, they soon retreat to the Aussie health system... Can you blame them?

Not many 90 year old farangs in Thailand, but a lot of happy 70 year olds.

and me for one at 68.

I like the people what are so chilled out with their easy going life style, they cant wait 5 seconds for their message to send and have to bash the key pad at least once sometimes twice to GET THE BLOODY MESSAGE TO SEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if there's been a survey. Longevity has never been one of my priorities. I spent twenty years in the army, and even though I was a Rear Echelon M** F** there was always the possibility I might have to sacrifice my life. Chance was small enough I figured the gamble was worth my while.

I've had two Thai wives and they've both gone to their old home, as the Thais put it. I see now why researchers say married men live longer. I'd be glad to marry again if I could find a girl young enough to be my granddaughter who also liked me. I'm an alcoholic, so I haven't had a drink of alcohol in almost 40 years. I didn't quit drinking because the doctor said I would die if I didn't. I quit because it really was not fun any more -- I mean really unpleasant. Same with smoking. I was finally able to quit five years ago because my chest hurt and I felt really awful, not because I hoped to live longer.

I'm just here for the sex and drugs and rock and roll like everybody else.

I thought I would live maybe another 2 years in Thailand before I finally moved over 2 years ago. I had a health check before I left Europe, and they estimated my life expectancy 35 more years or more. I am immune against most tropical diseases, no pain in my knee, no itching skin from overheated air, slightly underweight, low blood pressure, no drugs anymore, and I feel younger than 15 years ago.

I thought moving to Thailand would be the end of my life, now it looks if it's the beginning of a new life.

All kinds of problems of course, mostly from misunderstandings back in Germany.

I wouldn't even go back to Germany when I'm sick, I had my experiences with Farang medicine.

Maybe travel a bit, there are still some countries where I've never been in my life.

But first of all: Make my gf and her daughter happy. They deserve it.

if you are German you should have watched in German TV; OBESE LIVE LONGER. So be careful with your underweight.

Don't jump today or tonight. That can be done tomorrow.

Otherwise, I know several farangs who have lived out here in my environs who've died of heart attacks because they were physically located more than 45 minutes from any first rate hospital be it government or ekhachon. When faced with a serious heart attack one has a window of about 45 minutes.

Retire near a hospital.

Don't jump.

Otherwise, I know several farangs who have lived out here in my environs who've died of heart attacks because they were physically located more than 45 minutes from any first rate hospital be it government or ekhachon. When faced with a serious heart attack one has a window of about 45 minutes.

Retire near a hospital.

Don't jump.

I had to call an ambulance recently, it took about 20 minutes for them to arrive at my apartment, it took another 10-15 minutes to deliver me into the ICU at the Samitivej. During this time they shocked me once with the defibrillator. A day later I was released and I live to tell the tale.

Retire near a hospital.

Don't jump.

I had to call an ambulance recently, it took about 20 minutes for them to arrive at my apartment, it took another 10-15 minutes to deliver me into the ICU at the Samitivej. During this time they shocked me once with the defibrillator. A day later I was released and I live to tell the tale.

Stan42 are you only 42?

I'm glad to hear you made it. Keep it up dude.

I have been around a while and do not know too many elderly here… and the ones I have met, seem to have come here relatively recently. This is actually an interesting question and i would love to see stats on this… maybe if people get sick past 80, they end up going home...

Compared to their friends back home, male expats in Thailand die earlier and happier.

I tend to agree with this. Certainly, you have to look at health. As long as health lasts, here should prove happier, if you were happier here to begin with. However, when health leaves us we either return to farangland or elect to stay--given we have the funds to have a choice. In Farangland, more subsistence-based care for longer periods of time may be standard; whareas, in Thailand, the care may be more curative-based, which tends to cease if cure is not possible. Consequently, you indeed may live longer in Farangland, or it may just seem longer.

I am 82 and still working, still go to gym 4/5 times a week, have a great life with a wonderful Thai partner, much younger than me. I do not even think of checking out before I am 98, same age that my grandparents and parents moved on.

It is not age but state of mind that determines your quality of life and def not money.

Bless you Sir

Not a Scientific study,I know plenty of people who have died below the average of 70, of course some drank themselves to death,and others were struck down by illness that's why it's not scientific! too many variables!

Here is the world country by country world average lifespan,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Interesting. Thailand in the middle. life expectancy around 75. Good time to check out in my book. Strange to see the obese Americans ahead of Thailand. Maybe the big mac isn't super sized after all. Heh! Heh!

I find Aussies that "hang around" Thais more fun and youthful than Aussies that "hang around" Aussies; within their same age-group.

Having said that, when the "shit hits the fan" as it will do as we age, they soon retreat to the Aussie health system... Can you blame them?

There is a certain one drug available in the country that will slow down metabolisms therefore prolonging the aging process verses one that will speed it up.

I like the people what are so chilled out with their easy going life style, they cant wait 5 seconds for their message to send and have to bash the key pad at least once sometimes twice to GET THE BLOODY MESSAGE TO SEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? What? Your point is....???????

There is a certain one drug available in the country that will slow down metabolisms therefore prolonging the aging process verses one that will speed it up.
What is it?

I don't think the medical industry here is going to help you live longer. In fact, probably best to stay away from them period and go to see a good doctor in a developed country at least you might have a 15-30 percent chance there. I've had a number of really worrisome encounters recently and heard a few stories, seems there are some straight out human experimentalists running clinics out there. Seems there are people who simply speak English well and that's about it for highlights of their medical skills. For example, went in to an eye doctor with a slight case of pink eye and the guy tells me they have poke my eye out altogether with a needle. "No thanks, that's ok, I'll be leaving then, bye!" An law had been having problems with chronic headaches for a week or so and goes to a clinic somewhere in Pattaya and the guy says, "Well, we could open up your skull and see if there's anything in there, how's that sound?" She reiterated to the guy that it was nothing unusual, just a headache, no need to open my skull up and he wasn't interested. "Thank you ! Bye bye!" There's also the taboo about giving you any bad news that seems to run with doctors as well. They just don't want to break it you that you have a cavity and needs to be filled. They'd rather wait till your whole jaw needs to be sawed off and then tell you you have a cavity that needs to be filled. You want be able to ask them why they sawed your jaw off to fill in a cavity because you won't be able to speak. Of course I am exxagerating a wee bit especially about dentists and its for entertainment pruposes, probably my own mostly, but I think most can catch my drift.

Three of my friends have wound up dead in the last 10 years in various party boy mishaps. That's probably a bit above the rate back home. Throw in all the other stuff we all complain about all the time on here and the odds are worse for a longer life here despite less pressure on you to look where you are going when getting behind a wheel and other things yoiu are expected to be accountable for back home that drive the old heart rate up. Probably an abundance of smiling girls around at the bars adds a few years on as well, but I am told by the expat media by people such as Stickman that that whole scene will soon be over and done with. I think the only reason I hang around here is just habit and the fact that I have a rare good marriage partner from here plus already built a house so no rent to pay. Who knows, maybe all that adds up to a longer life expectancy after all.

We have more octogenarians on Maui than anywhere else in the world.

After you've had your fun, move to Hawaii.

Exercise. Eat Healthy. No Stress. No Worry. Sex Often. Don't Be Alone. Good Friends.

You'll Live Longer No Matter Where You Are!

Probably too many variables to even conduct a sensible survey. I came from the USA to Pattaya in Jan, 1986, was married in 1992 to a wonderful Thai wife from a wonderul Thai family. I have had a cancerous prostate removed, recurrent cancer in the bed tissue, triple by-pass heart surgery with aortic valve replacement, an artificial knee and now have disc problems in my back. My wife died Jan 2, 2015. My daily routine now includes two hours in the gym and a stop afterward for as much Leo as I can hold, fondling a few bar girls and drifting off home before dark. My drinking companion yesterday was a Brit who is a survivor of lung cancer, bowel cancer (parts of both were removed) but is now in remission. Same attitude as me, treat every day as if it is your last. I will turn 77 this year hopefully. I can not imagine living any where else. I have a new live-in housekeeper coming on the 26th. She is an orphan, no siblings, never been married, no children carrying no baggage but a broken femur which I will see fixed. She is 24 and sees 76 plus 24 adding up to 100 as a lucky omen. Life is not just good it is spectacular. If in town stop in Mac's Bar and I'll buy you a Leo. Cheers

Edited by akentryan

Probably too many variables to even conduct a sensible survey. I came from the USA to Pattaya in Jan, 1986, was married in 1992 to a wonderful Thai wife from a wonderul Thai family. I have had a cancerous prostate removed, recurrent cancer in the bed tissue, triple by-pass heart surgery with aortic valve replacement, an artificial knee and now have disc problems in my back. My wife died Jan 2, 2015. My daily routine now includes two hours in the gym and a stop afterward for as much Leo as I can hold, fondling a few bar girls and drifting off home before dark. My drinking companion yesterday was a Brit who is a survivor of lung cancer, bowel cancer (parts of both were removed) but is now in remission. Same attitude as me, treat every day as if it is your last. I will turn 77 this year hopefully. I can not imagine living any where else. I have a new live-in housekeeper coming on the 26th. She is an orphan, no siblings, never been married, no children carrying no baggage but a broken femur which I will see fixed. She is 24 and sees 76 plus 24 adding up to 100 as a lucky omen. Life is not just good it is spectacular. If in town stop in Mac's Bar and I'll buy you a Leo. Cheers

. What a Nice offer , I'm sure the CC Cheap Charlie's are boarding the busses , Now, Duck and Cover...