Booze banned on all boats

Seems there was a meeting with the Marine Police and Boat operators yesterday and that a Minister has announced that with immediate effect

all alcohol is banned on all boats including pleasure craft.This also applies to ferries.

The information I have is still sketchy but from what I can gather there will be an instant fine and confiscation of alcohol found.

The Marine Police will routinely carry out checks.

I really feel sorry for the tour operators.

Its difficult to see what will be achieved by this yet another badly thought out rule.

Still, it should get rid of any visitors on their yachts bringing business to the islands.

Interesting to see how this all works out!!!

I don't know if this is a country wide rule or just Samui.

• Like 2

Always had a few singha or mount blanc when going out on my regular vacation fishingtours with Mr Tu or using the boat down to Koh Tan.

Will miss that if they do ban all alcohol on boats.

And if they really mean all boats, maybe they could start boarding a few of the huge cruiseships and confiscate all their alcohol on board and see what happens wink.png

clap2.gif

• Like 1

Alcohol has been off the ferries well Seatran anyway for a few weeks now.Have to take my own & sit in the car with my beer & crisps & a good book. The wife drives before we start a lecture.biggrin.png

Sit in your car drinking beer, Thainess?

No drinking & driving of boats on Gold Coast Australia water ways, but you can drink if you're a passenger. I can full well understand the ban, so many morons now holidaying in the land of smilies & so many boating accidents. So I guess this law will include the skipper

Alcohol has been off the ferries well Seatran anyway for a few weeks now.Have to take my own & sit in the car with my beer & crisps & a good book. The wife drives before we start a lecture.biggrin.png

Apologies. Missed the wife drives when you get off.

• Like 1

Hmm ok now ban all drinking in songkran one day a disaster will happen,as it did in uk at one annual carnival,drunken man fell off truck and dragged a teen boy with him so no more standing on trucks or booze allowed,after this happened people didn't support,although it still to this day continues but more like a funeral parade than a carnival.

At Donsak pier last Thusday as a foot passenger no beer for sale in either shop and then we were told the ferry has also stopped selling beer. The place was full standing room only on the big ferry passengers were nearly all tourists. Thats a lot of money to loose.

Took the Raja Ferry from Don Sak to Phangan today no beer on the boat or at the mini mart and restaurant at the pier. 15 years of living on the island and some of my fondest memories are the cold one you crack just before arrival in Phangan. I have never seen fights or rowdy behaviour on the ferry just travelers having a few beers celebrating the last leg of a long trip out to the islands.

You have a 15 year old thai kid being murdered on samui yesterday by local gangs, Burmese being suffocated and left on the roadside, local businessmen shot in front of tourists buying trinkets yet the police and this overreaching pseudo government think banning beer on a long boat ride where most passengers are picked up by taxis is an issue that needs to be urgently addressed? People come to Thailand to have fun not to visit museums. Get the ballot boxes out ASAP.

• Like 2

I totally understand the ban for ferry/train passengers, we all remember the countless atrocities committed by passengers who had a beer or two. blink.png

On the other side are all those poor drunken car/taxi/bus drivers and boat captains (I remember 2 occasions where the Raja ferry captain was apparently totally drunk at 5 AM, needing several attempts to moor the ferry at Don Sak in calm weather) who kill a few thousand people every year.

Just a matter of priorities.

Edited by longtom