Norwegian arrested in Phuket for visa overstay

Lite Beer

The law is the law. I just got back from a visa run this morning 1am, long, hot and tired uninspiring journey but I did it. He is just lazy, you cant mistake your visa by 3 weeks...maybe 3 days

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mai pen rai...

That said, if you're stupid enough to ignore the laws of any host country and not abide by them, be willing to acknowledge your failures.

Edited by Thaidye

Barely three weeks overstay...

Catch of the day 1zgarz5.gif

Post of the day.

What does it matter whether it is 3 weeks or 3 years? Immigration police are just doing their jobs and if they weren't you'd be among the first to complain.

I wish you were right and Immigration were "doing their jobs" ... Instead they try to charge people fees for service that are free bah.gif and imagine that some people actually support that "cause they have such a low salery" ...blink.png

This silly picture represents what is called, "Enforcement of Immigration Regulations", in the U.S.A. this is referred to as racism, because if this poor violator is not in the country or is incarcerated....he can't VOTE for the party that ignored his CRIME. As soon as you, a friend or family member has a negative encounter with an immigration offender (ILLEGAL ALIEN)...all of a sudden immigration laws matter. So simple; follow the immigration laws or leave any country you're visiting while you're able! (In Thailand your departure will be enforced and lawful and right).

Yes guys, there are rules even in this part of the world and I'm happy they catch these guys. They destroy for all honest guys. Yesterday I overheard this younger guy with Thai wife and kid complaining about the language school that he use to be able to pay so he got his visa had changed the rules so he actually had to attend class to get a visa. He was pissed that he now had to go and get tourist visa from outside Thailand and follow the rules that all of us normal people have to follow.

Not newsworthy, I actually feel sorry for my fellow countryman for having his picture plastered all over the news , only because he overstayed 20 days.

News like that, even in a local nespaper are awfull and the picture taken is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

Thats not the proper was of yournalism and on my opinion against the rule of right of privacy.....ALL IN ALL THIS THAI WAY OF ARTICLES ARE A NO GO!

Not newsworthy, I actually feel sorry for my fellow countryman for having his picture plastered all over the news , only because he overstayed 20 days.

Ok , I see it like this ,being a fence sitter and not wanting to upset anyone on TV. Yes ! overstay and fine him, But don't put his photo on line and don't point a finger at him, he is not a gangster, he does not sell drugs ( possibly) , he is not a Russian drunk and his body has not been splattered from a high rise jump. Maybe he is a Pattaya undesirable taking a break. And if anyone doesn't like my comments I will scweam-scweam until I'm sick.

The Norwegian should be made to pay the fine for overstay his visa, or forced to work it off in prison at 10 cents per day. Then after full restitution, be barded from reentry for 5 years. This guy gives us all a bad name. Do the crime, pay the fine, or the time!

Edited by Daniel Ingalls

The Norwegian should be made to pay the fine for overstay his visa, or forced to work it off in prison at 10 cents per day. Then after full restitution, be barded from reentry for 5 years. This guy gives us all a bad name. Do the crime, pay the fine, or the time!

Don`t you think the punishment should be more fitting to the crime?

He has overstayed for 3 weeks for christ sake, he is not a drug dealer.

And how exactly has he given you a bad name? What did he do to you?

This guy is a disgrace to the Norwegian military.

As a Norwegian ensign he should know better.

It also makes it worse that he is on the board of a Norwegian Reserve Officers' Federation.

Shame on you!

There are rules in this world, and they get even more strictly and more in the future. If you not can follow the rules, then stay home where you come from.

Why? How do they affect you? If you want to obey stupid immigration rules....by all means, do it. Nobody is forcing you to. you choose that. That's your business.... and if somebody doesn't want to...that's his or her business. As long as he/she understand the risk, and it's not hurting anyone i see no problem.

The law is the law. I just got back from a visa run this morning 1am, long, hot and tired uninspiring journey but I did it. He is just lazy, you cant mistake your visa by 3 weeks...maybe 3 days

i overstayed my visa 3 years...no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem? 'The law is the law' is just a cliche. Some laws are just plain silly.

i overstayed my visa 3 years...no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem? 'The law is the law' is just a cliche. Some laws are just plain silly.

In my youth I used to drink and drive... no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem?

"The law is the law" is just a cliche. Some laws are just plain silly.

In my youth I used to drink and drive... no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem?

Mentioning DUI and non sensical laws in the same sentence does not show much thinking power.

It's interesting and quite effective how such a simple photo generated so many responses. The photo accomplished exactly what it was intended to do when it was posted. Visitors to Thailand, like it or not, will follow the immigration regulations or you will be treated as the man featured in the photo. There it is...if you don't want to obey laws, stop bitching and move on or you can complain from your cell. Have a happy weekend : )

Mentioning DUI and non sensical laws in the same sentence does not show much thinking power.

My only point is if you wish to ignore laws you consider silly where do you draw the line? No harm no foul?

My only point is if you wish to ignore laws you consider silly where do you draw the line? No harm no foul?

And my point is, find a better example. DUI and silly laws in the same sentence: no.

Nothing more deadly than a Norwegian tourist pumping money into the economy.

There are rules in this world, and they get even more strictly and more in the future. If you not can follow the rules, then stay home where you come from.

I am assuming this is sarcasm, but "scumbags who refuse to follow Thai law" would include a great many Thai government officials, not to mention Thai citizens. Treating overstays like rape or murder serves no purpose except to further run the Thai economy into a ditch. Follow the Cambodia example: grab the money and run.

This was good news, finally they catch the criminal overstayer in Phuket, good work to the immigration guys, we don't need scumbags here who refuse to follow the Thai law.