Bad Motorcyclist, Good Cop

Boycie

I like the idea of police blocks having helmets, lightbulbs and a Somchai that charges double the normal price to fix these bikes or buy a helmet, pay the fine and send the knuckleheads on their way.

Giving a ticket or taking 200 baht to send a defective bike on it's way is just risking people's lives.

...but agree, a better helmet that an ice-cream tub would be more useful.

I was stopped by the police today for not being in the left lane. I said I was very sorry and as I reached into my pocket to retrieve the usual fee he said I was not to do it again and that I could go. I couldn't believe it.

I was stopped a few days ago in Chiang Mai had all my gear on and was wondering why? a cop came up asked me where you from I say Chiang Mai he says really how long he ask I say 5 years. He then ask where you live I say Kad Cam Market he say go get out of here. He never ask for drivers licenses or ID.

Tomorrow the boy in the video will stop a hundred meters before the same checkpoint, take the helmet out of his basket and put it on before proceeding past the checkpoint. Sorry for being cynical, but I see riders in CM all the time stopping before a check point to put on their helmets. Safety is not taught in Thailand, and the only reason to wear a helmet is to avoid a fine.

• Like 1