I want to sell draft beer from a food truck in BKK. What are the liquor laws?

tbearthai

I don't know, when last in BKK there were at least 2 Kombi Vans set up as mobile bars parked in Soi 11 (near the German Steak Restaurant). Legal?

People who operate those know who to pay off. Have to be Thai to have a chance in hell to get it to fly imo.

• Like 1

Between Sois 3 and 7 there are a number of roadside stalls selling liquor that seem to be owned, or at least run, by farangs. I suspect these businesses are mostly unlicensed. If they were legit, they would have to pay taxes and give receipts, right? Which they don't. So, there's got to be a Thai partner and tea money involved. Which makes think that between the two it would be a wash with the profit. But what do I know.

Btw, the idea of serving farang fare is good. All those late stalls on Suk sell purely Thai, yet the post-2am traffic is mostly farang. So, a place known for quality dogs, burger, chips, etc., should do roaring trade.

This is illegal in Thailand to sell any alcoholic beverages from any vehicles.

In order to sell any alcoholic beverages in Thailand you need to have a stationary place, not mobile.

There is (or was ? haven't noticed recently) a "cocktail car" I've seen parked in Pattaya that must operate at night near Beach Rd. somewhere close to Central Festival

But as was mentioned in another thread, draft/draught beer can be difficult to store/keep if you don't have sufficient volume of business.

post-145917-0-24655100-1430271449_thumb.

post-145917-0-93194900-1430271539_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

In order to sell any alcoholic beverages in

Thailand you need to have a stationary place, not mobile.

its stationary when selling?

Whats the problem?...

..TiT.

I don't think you can actually do this I really think you should check with the police find out all you can before you proceed there are vws that sell bottled beer using different locations draft beer is hard enough to keep in a bar . good luck to you pal.

what a dam good idea, having a nice drop of decent beer, and a good hot dog on my way home staggering up sukhumvit road yep count me in on that one. i generally end up at that small kebab stall in soi 3, very nice i must admit.

In order to sell any alcoholic beverages in

Thailand you need to have a stationary place, not mobile.

its stationary when selling?

Whats the problem?...

..TiT.

Might be fun watching serving while mobile.

• Like 1

Why not complement the existing businesses rather than compete.

Hot Dog van.

If you choose that route, PM me with your location. I'd frequent a place that sells New York or (better yet) Chicago style dogs.

I wouldn't frequent it....I'd follow it.

Nothing better than a few good hot dogs late at night with all the fixings.

Agree, NY, Chicago or even a Detroit style doggie would be amazing.

Now I'm hungry.

In order to sell any alcoholic beverages in Thailand you need to have a stationary place, not mobile.

All I know is I have seen mobile truck/vans in Jomtien Beach near the market many areas in Pattaya and Bangkok playing music with flashing lights and selling beer or mixed drinks of your choice. They were Thai operated---posts above mine show the vehicles I mentioned.

Edited by Tony125

I would guess you have no chance in hell of doing this.

They sell from those Combi vans in BKk and Pattaya but is alcohol only no food. They look quiet nice with the coloured lights and music but the ones I have tried the beer is not that cold.

I really believe that an expat who understood all the angles and pitfalls of this type of an enterprise would not ask such a basic and naive question. Not putting him down for asking .. best way to learn...

For what it is worth .. you are foreigner without a work permit, any type of license to sell booze, have none of he proper connections, no clue who to pay and when ....

Even if you could actually find a place to put this for even one night...

You might "hang yourself" or "stab yourself" when the other sellers see this, you might end up in jail, you might end up deported .. but I guarantee, by sunrise .. you would be picked over by the ... ummmm ... "powers that be" and they will take every Baht you can give them ..

Please do not choose door number two, the gold-hearted bar girl who will "hold paper" and "hide the profits" for you in her bank.

We have a few hundred too many of those sad tales on file already.

I could be wrong but I thought a liquor license needed a fixed address. For example they wont want you selling outside a school.

You may find the license (if there is one) for the combi vans are tied to specific locations and this is the ONLY place(s) they are allowed to sell from. Of course there would be no reason (probably) that you couldn´t attend private functions.

As for the hot dog van, excellent idea, but I suspect even if you could pull it off (and you are not a Thai street vendor) you would end up coping so much flak from the locals it wouldn´t be worth risking your life and limb over.