How Dangerous Are These Scorpions And What's Best If One Stung You?

lostinisaan

Yeah they're not meant to hurt that much e.g. One day my wife took my MIL to a famous temple in the neighbouring district. While praying she was stung by a scorpion but didn't even notice until they were in the car driving home.

My wife thought it was then quite fitting to buy me some deep fried scorpions for lunch lol

post-112272-14302976827005_thumb.jpg

For anyone who is interested, both the taste and texture seemed a lot like crickets to me (if you've ever eaten them), although these ones had a bit of a "charcoal" taste as well since they were a bit overdone.

I only had one, but took the rest into school to see what my students thought. Despite thinking that all the kids would see it as "normal" to eat scorpions, most of them were scared of the scorpions, particularly the girls, although some of the boys asked if they could eat them.

Oh and yeah my wife is very hesitant about personally killing any animals/bugs too, even centipedes/scorpions, as its against buddhism. Although the 1x centipede we found in our room got squashed good n proper lol, couldnt risk dicking around to capture it. But bugs etc elsewhere get captured and released (Centipedes admittedly don't get released tho, as they're too dangerous, just stuffed in a bottle/container, sealed away and then thrown away lol).

Lostinisaan, they have a lot less powerful venom than the local millipedes. Those are worth watching out for (having been bitten twice!)

I'd like to hear your version of the pain. Sounds horrendous talking to the only two Thais I've known to have been stung/bitten or whatever they do. I've come close. Makes me not want to garden at all...

I got bit at midnight, then after a rapid shower, I consulted the Internet then covered area for next 7 hours with an ice pack. It was very painful. After about 10 hours, I managed the sleep, then luckily I had just a mild ache (with no scars).

Think it's recommended to consult a doctor especially if your young/old or frail.

• 2 years later...
On 29/04/2015 at 6:47 AM, DILLIGAD said:

Lostinisaan, they have a lot less powerful venom than the local millipedes. Those are worth watching out for (having been bitten twice!)

I was not aware the millipedes can sting I will be much more careful.  I have seen the effects of centipede bites so if they are like that, no thanks.....will be more watchful sweeping them out the door....

1 hour ago, Lucky mike said:

I was not aware the millipedes can sting I will be much more careful.  I have seen the effects of centipede bites so if they are like that, no thanks.....will be more watchful sweeping them out the door....

There are a few threads on this very subject with pics. Its the black ones that seems to be the really bad boys. Very painful by all accounts. 

7 hours ago, tso310 said:

There are a few threads on this very subject with pics. Its the black ones that seems to be the really bad boys. Very painful by all accounts. 

looking to the state of this one (not really black), i imagine they also are not welcome.....

thailande sept. 2013 086.jpg

thailande sept. 2013 085.jpg

On 4/29/2015 at 1:24 AM, crazygreg44 said:

You should learn from this, it's always dangerous to move stones, debris, dry wood piles or old wood logs. In most case, there are scorpions nesting underneath. A bite will take you from a very nasty painful sting that you will fell weeks later, to a certain death when left untreated for 20 minutes.

in the scrub, torn, and wild countryside, whether it's been south Tennesee or south Eesaan, i ve adepted the habit to let my eyes scan the ground while I walk.

The risk is foreseeable. The deeper in the bush you are, the more dangerous your environment becomes.

I am surprised you mention you don't kill them . . . if i find any of them around the house, I will kill them instantly. They are not by far such an endangered species as we humans are !

In most case, there are..........?

I doubt that, as I have moved a lot of these items, and never seen one scorpion yet.

On 4/29/2015 at 6:47 AM, DILLIGAD said:

Have had centipede bite recently.   It had climbed onto the bed and bit me on the foot near the ankle.   I did not feel the bite but had involuntarily kicked and killed it, its size was around 15cm.    The pain was intense.   It felt as though the bite area and for a large area around it was on fire, which lasted for over 3 hours, nothing would cool it down.    The burning subsided but low level was there for two days and, localised pain for 4 days.   It left slight scaring where the pincers had come into contact with the skin.

Normally, if I see centipedes and am quick enough I brush them out of the door, millipedes being easier as they curl up.

The best way I found to catch/remove scorpions is use a garden hoe to scrape them onto a long handled plastic dustpan.  Tilt the dustpan at around a 30 degree angle while you're carrying it and they can't get traction to escape.  

Doesn't hurt the scorpion and you can safely relocate them to your neighbours garden.  

11 minutes ago, akirasan said:

The best way I found to catch/remove scorpions is use a garden hoe to scrape them onto a long handled plastic dustpan.  Tilt the dustpan at around a 30 degree angle while you're carrying it and they can't get traction to escape.  

Doesn't hurt the scorpion and you can safely relocate them to your neighbours garden.  

I hope for you that your neighbours don't follow your advise.

36 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Just stamp on them much easier?

On 4/28/2015 at 7:47 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Back around 1978, there was a farang monk in Loei who was from New Zealand.  Got one of those caught up in his robe in the crapper one night.  Definitely worth watching out for.  As I recall, the big, black scorpions are not as bad as the smaller tan colored ones.

1 hour ago, akirasan said:

"Relocate them to your neighbours garden?" 

We have a good few of the big black ones around. Stung once two years ago hurt like hell for 6hrs or so ice pack and pain killers. Went to local quack straight after it stung she suggested avoiding them in future whilst laughing. I now if i see one put on my heavy duty welding gloves and pick the sucker up place it where i can get a good stamp at the little sucker with my size 12 wellingtons. Works every time.

i was stung by an elephant scorpion. pain at site 8-9 / 10 .  went to hospital out of fear of possible venom side effects.  er doctor told me thai scorpions dont have dangerous venom.

intravenous morphine lowered pain to tolerable level but still hurt. 2-3 hours better.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, dotpoom said:

Lots of people making us aware of how knowledgeable they are about these creatures......and particularly skillful at avoiding answering your actual question.

morphine at local hospital but likely ice pack to site and ibuprofen (if not allergic) is next best thing.  in retrospect an injection at sting site of local anesthetic would have been more effective for pain and no morphine side effects.  probably safer for very young and elderly to be monitored at hospital until pain resolved 

Archived