Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke

Lite Beer

Bill Nich calls up Jimmy Greaves. Hello Jimmy its Bill Nicholson. I want you to play for for me. OK Bill.

Great stuff. Football transfer ain't what they used to be.

The chairman would have done the deal first.

Bill Nich calls up Jimmy Greaves. Hello Jimmy its Bill Nicholson. I want you to play for for me. OK Bill.

Probably, because Bill told him to!

My point was more about the charisma that surrounded Nicholson. You wanted to play for him. Thats what the great managers all have had isn't it?!

My point was more about the charisma that surrounded Nicholson. You wanted to play for him. Thats what the great managers all have had isn't it?!

Especially so when wages weren't a factor (c.f. Mark Bosnich).

I remember watching a match at Stamford Bridge in the late 1950's, where Greaves picked up the ball and glided past the then England captain, Billy Wright, before slotting it home. I looked at my old man who said "Where's this kid come from, outer space?" An outstanding talent with a priceless asset of having two good feet. Get well soon, Jimmy.

in fairness carms Same then as it is now. U break the national transfer record u tend to get your man.

just an idea on his 'level' though the ONLY current players comparable stat wise to greaves are Ronado and messi and neither have had their ' later' not quite so prolific years yet

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

I remember watching a match at Stamford Bridge in the late 1950's, where Greaves picked up the ball and glided past the then England captain, Billy Wright, before slotting it home. I looked at my old man who said "Where's this kid come from, outer space?" An outstanding talent with a priceless asset of having two good feet. Get well soon, Jimmy.

Remember seeing him at the lane v newcastle late 60s, getting the ball deep in his own half out paced and dribbled Through .the entire newcastle team and beat ian mcfaul not a poor keeper by any stretch , by sheer accuracy and pace at the near post Unbelievably talent.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I remember reading about how Shankly used to do negotiations. He'd arrange a meeting at some hotel, and tip the waiters to bring him "Gin and Tonics" with ice and slice, only his didn't have any gin in them.

Then he'd just wait.....