Saw an accident or maybe robbery attempt

edwinchester

Today wifey and I went into town. On the way home I watched a scooter, coming in the opposite direction, being overtaken by another scooter. I thought the overtaking scooter was very close and was shocked to see it run the other bike off the road and into a crash barrier. It really did seem deliberate as there was no need to be so close and for what seemed a long time.

I stopped, did a u-turn and stopped to ask the lady who had been knocked off if she was ok. I'd lost sight of the other bike and as there were several side roads didn't attempt a pursuit.

The lady was very upset as she was convinced it was an attempted robbery, her clothes were scuffed up and she had a nasty gash on her foot.

She thanked me for stopping and wifey gave her phone number just in case in the future we could offer to be a witness if the perpetrators can be found.

Now when we got home wifey phoned her friends and told them what happened and everyone of them said we shouldn't have got involved.

'None of our business'

'She may want to cheat you'

'The police may cheat you'

'Nothing can be done, police won't do anything'.......all representative of what was said to her.

Frankly I find it depressing that these are the replies you get when you stop to help a fellow human being involved in either a hit and run or a robbery attempt.

Yes, that's the way it is here. Saw something happening the other day, stopped to see if there was anything I could do. At least ten people standing around watching me and not interested in getting involved. It was a Thai on Thai incident. I didn't bother mentioning it to my wife because I would have got the same reaction you did. Sometimes I wonder why I live here...

Yes, that's the way it is here. Saw something happening the other day, stopped to see if there was anything I could do. At least ten people standing around watching me and not interested in getting involved. It was a Thai on Thai incident. I didn't bother mentioning it to my wife because I would have got the same reaction you did. Sometimes I wonder why I live here...

AAAAh come on you love it........we are just a bunch of softies.

The food and temples.

It's why we're all here.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Saw a violent bagsnatch once outside a 7-11 ATM machine. It was across 5 lanes of traffic and could not do anything.

Which is exactly what the long line of Thais that were waiting for buses next to them did.

It took 4 big pulls for him to pull the bag from her, each one with a bloodcurdling scream from her. He then walked off with the bag, even looking inside it while she was left alone in a fetal position on the steps.

I can't remember ever throwing a punch as an adult, but I just wanted to be in that line to turn around and completely suckerpunch the prick as he walked past, then a kick in the guts to wind him, then a kick in the face.

The food and temples.

It's why we're all here.

Good on ya Grumpy....you tell em!!!!...biggrin.png Does a Ham Sammich count?

I think it's the 'up to you' thing - if you want to try and snatch a bag, what happens, happens but you'll definitely get baht (as opposed to buhn) so you'll be the loser - it seems that the Thais are nationalistic in that, they're together in minding there own business so interfering is exacerbating the problem unless you're the police or responsible for the person being attacked.

A man (looked like a Thai) tried to relieve me of my bag once in Foodland, Sukhumvit Rd., I just sort of held on to it (only just), people were looking, neither of us spoke but looking into his eyes, it was as if he was saying, "oh well, if you don't want to let me take it, I won't" and he just walked away; directly afterwards I remember thinking how strangely civilised an attempted robbery! Perhaps I was lucky; he could have stabbed me, taken the bag and walked away.

i would be proud to help some one, Hoping the favor would be returned one day, If nobody starts the ball rolling how can things get better.

Good on you ... but do you really think a Thai would come to your rescue?

i would be proud to help some one, Hoping the favor would be returned one day, If nobody starts the ball rolling how can things get better.

Sure why not.. have had Thais come to help me when my bike broke down. Have had a Thai return my wallet after i lost it. Thais are human.. not alien.

Sure why not.. have had Thais come to help me when my bike broke down. Have had a Thai return my wallet after i lost it. Thais are human.. not alien.

Are you me? :-)

Had exactly the same things happen and extremely grateful for the help and honesty.

I stop and help people all the time and have often been helped by others.

I also have taken out my phone and taken photos of people doing dangerous or inappropriate things. I often exaggerate the motions to let them know that they are being filmed. Many times it works as a deterrent. However, it does put you in the cross hairs. I wouldn't advise getting involved or try to stop a violent criminal. They would be as likely to stab and kill you as they would continue doing whatever crime you witness.

i find it amusing that the whole point of the OP's post was the reaction of wife's, not the robbery.

Reaction of wife's friends when she told them we stopped and offered help.

Not sure if it was a hit and run or an attempted robbery. Nothing was stolen but then again we were on the scene quickly.

"Do good then throw it into the sea"- I think you understand meaning..I really try don't expect something back for my good deeds. But have to agree it would be nicerolleyes.gif .

Years ago a girlfriend and I were driving at night when she saw a scooter in the ditch on an empty road. I was going to turn around anyway, but she was all over me to go back and help. While I treated the unconscious, almost dead driver, she called police, set out road flares, and even directed the small bit of traffic around the scene.

But I do believe she was a rare one.

Years ago a girlfriend and I were driving at night when she saw a scooter in the ditch on an empty road. I was going to turn around anyway, but she was all over me to go back and help. While I treated the unconscious, almost dead driver, she called police, set out road flares, and even directed the small bit of traffic around the scene.

Where did you get those road flares?

Just going back to incident the person who ran the lady of the road may have done it for their own pleasure. The act of a madman?

In the early 90's i was in a minibus going from Hatyai to Koh Samui. It was full of farangs who fell asleep except for me. The young thai man driving fast on the rural roads aimed the minbus at every oncoming motorbike he saw. Wrong side of the road speeding towards them. Forcing the motorbike riders to swerve off the road into the dirt. This happened for about 5 or 10 minutes on a quiet stretch of road. The driver probably thought it was great fun? Who knows. Some thais when behind the wheel are mental.

There are a few here who would be happy if every reply was negative to reinforce there attitude toward Thai people. I have found Thai people to be the same as people every where: some happy, some sad, some helpful, some not some honest and some dishonest.

There are a few here who would be happy if every reply was negative to reinforce there attitude toward Thai people. I have found Thai people to be the same as people every where: some happy, some sad, some helpful, some not some honest and some dishonest.

No, it's not the same everywhere. Not even close. chances are much higher to get assistance if it happened in the usa for example.

Sad but true, what your wife's friends said...not saying you shouldn't have stopped, but a farang stopping to help at an accident could easily be blamed for it, sued, brought up on charges...often by the person one is helping. Just something to keep in mind.

No, it's not the same everywhere. Not even close. chances are much higher to get assistance if it happened in the usa for example.

I doubt that.

Where did you get those road flares?

I always carry flares in my vehicles. Looked everywhere to find them in LOS, couldn't, so on one trip I brought a dozen over in my crate.

Tree branches are much cheaper, but when a Thai sees a road flare, man do they slow down!

Sad but true, what your wife's friends said...not saying you shouldn't have stopped, but a farang stopping to help at an accident could easily be blamed for it, sued, brought up on charges...often by the person one is helping. Just something to keep in mind.

what a load of boll-ox a myth, There are good Thai people who tell the truth,

please don't be too hard on humanity.

A buddy once ran out of petrol in the middle of nowhere Krabi to Phuket strectch at night. While pushing his bike along, a Thai on his little bike came by. Thru sign language, the Thai man knew my buddy had ran out of gas...he rode off only to return 20?30?mins later with a boittle of gas...and he rode off without waiting for my buddy to pay him for the gas...

Yes, there are kind strangers out there.

p/s

I have been riding around Thailand for 2 decades and never once was I been cheated, scammed, robbed by the roadside or otherwise. I have helped in at least 2 road accidents including one last year in Prachuap Khiri Khan. It was 3am, a very drunk farang/frenchman with a bloodied head wandering around aimlessly (self inflicted in a sense. He mumbled he was riding his scooter and fell) took him back to my hotel lobby, woke up the night manager and together we first-aided him, made him a strong coffee and called the police...