Funeral chanting for Luang Phor Khun held at Khon Kaen University

Lite Beer

Funeral chanting for Luang Phor Khun held at Khon Kaen University

KHON KAEN, 17 May 2015 (NNT) – The funeral rite for Luang Phor Khun Parisuto is being held at Khon Kaen University where his body will be donated to the Faculty of Medicine.

Luang Phor Khun’s body was moved in a procession from Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital to Khon Kaen University yesterday. Over 5,000 Buddhist followers from different provinces flocked to the university to bid farewell to their highly-revered monk.

His body is lying in state at Khon Kaen University’s Golden Jubilee Convention Hall. The general public can pay respect to the departed monk between May 17 and 23 from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m.

Lung Phor Khun, abbot of Wat Ban Rai in Dan Khun Thot District of Nakhon Ratchasima Province, died of heart failure while being treated for his heart problems at Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital. He is 92 years old.

In his will, the monk stated his wish to donate his body to the Faculty of Medicine of Khon Kaen University and asked for a simple funeral. His Majesty the King has graciously provided him with a mortuary urn, tiered umbrellas and water for the funeral bathing ceremony.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-17 footer_n.gif

I wonder who in the faculty dare to cut LP Khun's body up even if he's donated to the university? He is so much well respected in Thailand.

I suspect he will be embalmed and will go on public display, attracting vast numbers of followers and curious tourists in due course. This is not unusual in Isaan, where you can see quite a few forest monks who have been preserved for posterity in various temples, in some cases appearing to not rot without any treatment. It is quite a coup for KKU. thumbsup.gif

I wonder who in the faculty dare to cut LP Khun's body up even if he's donated to the university? He is so much well respected in Thailand.

I suspect he will be embalmed and will go on public display, attracting vast numbers of followers and curious tourists in due course. This is not unusual in Isaan, where you can see quite a few forest monks who have been preserved for posterity in various temples, in some cases appearing to not rot without any treatment. It is quite a coup for KKU. thumbsup.gif

I would hate to see this, but your probably right. wai.gif

The famous monk from Ban Kruat, Praa Phaet who died aged 102 about 4 months ago has been enbalmed and many people come to see his body. The temple is in the process of building a mausoleum in which his body will finally be interred. This building is enormous and very eloborate. I estimate it should be complete in another 3 months or so. I hate to think how many hundreds of millions of baht it must be costing.

Many years ago I visited Wat Ban Rai and was told by one of the grannies selling stuff that he had been observed performing miracles and had the ability to fly. I tell you if I was witness to a Thai monk flying I'd sell everything I had and take up robe and bowl myself.