Fined because of wrong colour car roof !

Meanwhile most of the rest of the world realises that it is far safer to drive with your lights on,than off,in some countrys this is mandatory,yet Thailand goes the other way,who would have thought it?

Agree and one of the rules I don't care about.

When I find its time to switch on the light I do.

Traffic law has not been reworked since 1979 !! (as far as I know).

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

I get annoyed Ben,when sometimes on dusk i put them on and get flashed at by other cars,like it has to be pitch black before you put them on,and even then some don't, to save battery,one of my wife's relatives told me once,whilst having his face almost glued to the windscreen,trying to peer ahead into the inky blackness,i told him either put on the lights or i will get out and walk,with a grimace he turned on the side lights,next morning i could see him looking upset and sort of stroking the battery,with the bonnet up,when i asked him what was wrong,he said it was tired!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lights on is only for VIP's, Police and Emergency vehicles.

When I drive on the mountain road coming from Pattaya to Korat, my lights are on no matter what time of day or night, my life is considered to be important to me, I know they've made improvements to that road, but its still dangerous in places, years ago it was extremely dangerous.

how are the auto makers allowed to sell cars here with DRL's always on then ?

Lights on is only for VIP's, Police and Emergency vehicles.

When I drive on the mountain road coming from Pattaya to Korat, my lights are on no matter what time of day or night, my life is considered to be important to me, I know they've made improvements to that road, but its still dangerous in places, years ago it was extremely dangerous.

how are the auto makers allowed to sell cars here with DRL's always on then ?

I had an imported Motorcycle years ago, before the law was changed for motorcycles, that had no switch to turn the light off, I was constantly being motioned at traffic lights in Pattaya to turn off my light, but I just shrugged my shoulders or explain to them I couldn't turn them off, I never got fined.

Volvo's I think came under the same consideration, how do people get on with LED lights that are on all the time, has the law changed for all cars now, I have no idea, i'm thinking of getting LED lights on my Tuna, anybody been fined for having them ?

Edited by Banzai99

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

I'll start off with a good one.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now who can do better than that?

About 5 years ago , I was fined 500 for not having pink book for scooter.

Yet to figure out what pink book is ;)

Do note green book, dl was in order

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Lol

I was stopped just after leaving a toll booth on the way to Don Meung a few years back.

Me: "What's up?"

BIB: "You changed lanes immediately after the booth"

Me: "Because you called me over here!"

BIB: "We're on the CCTV and my boss can see me so I have to book you. You will leave the car here and walk to the police station"

Wife: "What? We've got the kids in the back (about 10 & 7 yo at the time).

BIB: "Hold on, I'll come around that side and talk to you"

(you know the rest)

My ol' Volvo 760 estate had permanent day lights on. Did this ride in LOS have the same.......?

Was it sold in Thailand by Volvo ?

No idea, long time back, but Volvo thought the day lights were a safety feature at the time.......

Many countries have DRL's as compulsory.

Not sure if Thailand is one of those but many new cars sold here do have them, and in the case of my friends CX5 Mazda you simply cannot turn them off as they are not switched. Only choice to turn them off is to pull the fuse or follow Mazda's instructions.....

post-186594-0-54230600-1433060054_thumb.

Edited by Don Mega

Yet to figure out what pink book is wink.png

It lists the "Hello Kitty" sticker on the scooter?

That was just an exuse to milk money. There are thousands of buses on the roads here all over the country that are not the color registered with the road transport dept. They made a law about 5 years ago that all buses that have painted over their original color must change back or will be fined. Nothing has changed.

Yet to figure out what pink book is wink.png

It lists the "Hello Kitty" sticker on the scooter?

No, sorry i am not a big girl like you, i only had doraemonthumbsup.gif

Meanwhile most of the rest of the world realises that it is far safer to drive with your lights on,than off,in some countrys this is mandatory,yet Thailand goes the other way,who would have thought it?

Agree and one of the rules I don't care about.

When I find its time to switch on the light I do.

Traffic law has not been reworked since 1979 !! (as far as I know).

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

There were 23 amendments to the law earlier this year.

Roof, doors and/or bonnet must be within 50% variance of the original colour of the car.

Never mind Thailand, the same thing happens in the UK. In the '60s during the "Mods" era, it was the fashion to take of the side panels of your Lambretta scooter. Many Mods were fined under the "Construction & Use" section of the Road traffic Act. They stopped me and I got summoned to court for no side panels and only a half panel at the front. When I got to court I defended myself and the charges were dropped after I showed the Magistrates that I had a Model D which was manufactured (constructed) prior to the LD, when the scooters had no panels. I was stopped 21 times in the UK by policemen picking on me as a soft target so Thailand is no different, except you can negotiate on the spot.

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

Was there any fog on the night in question? If not then you deserved to be fined. If there was then they were wrong to fine you. They are called fog lights for a reason.

Not sure about this,i live in rural Thailand,and the amount of unlighted tractors,motorsais,old car without lights at night is scary, or random drunks staggering into the road,you really need good illumination on country roads at night,and of course if you hit them because you could not see them,there will be no,well they were at fault for driving without lights,no it will be Falangs fault ,falang pays,better to get a fine than hit someone.

I am pretty sure car manufacturers design their headlights to give plenty of illumination. Fog lights are designed to be brighter for foggy conditions. All you are doing by using them is blinding other drivers which is unsafe. Do you drive with your headlights on full beam when there are cars coming towards you? Ever followed a car with the rear fogs switched on? It is just like they have their brakes on full time. You have to spend more time watching their lights so you spot their brake lights coming on when you should be focussing on everything else. On a rainy night it is even worse. Hardly adding to the safety of other road users.

Why can't I believe what the OP is saying?

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

Color is part of the entries in the blue book.

Annoying to be caught if the entry is not accurate.

But sorry no escape here.

RTP is creative if they need money whistling.gif

About the lights on: another unbelievable rule that opens a path to abuse.

You must not turn on the lights as long as you can see a car to the distance of 150m.

As said: arbitrary abuse possible.

The modern "daylights" (usually LED) are tolerated.

and anyone with half a brain knows you dont have to pay a fine on the spot and can pay at local police station..you just simply drive away and forget it..nothing is on a computer here for this type of thing or they wouldnt put it in there pocket..in theory..a little tip for the uninformed..

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

You must not turn on the lights as long as you can see a car to the distance of 150m.

and anyone with half a brain knows you dont have to pay a fine on the spot and can pay at local police station..you just simply drive away and forget it..nothing is on a computer here for this type of thing or they wouldnt put it in there pocket..in theory..a little tip for the uninformed..

Well, unfortunately I have a full brain and didn't know that when I got done for speeding. If you just have half, does this kind of information come 'pre-programmed' ?.

Anyone with a full brain will know it after someone has told them - and not before.

1. Foglights will be either 35/55/100 or more watts, and are regarded on the road as HighBeam lighting - therefore should always be extinguished for approaching traffic. They are only to be ON in adverse lighting conditions.

2. Daytime Running Lights are always to be 28 watts or less, and can be lit at all times. (They are only there to make your vehicle visible to others)

3. IF the DRLs have been re-globed to be more powerful - they are no longer DRLs, and therefore now regarded as being either fog or highbeam spotlights. See 1.

4. DRLs, being 28 watts or less cannot be used solely for night time driving, as they are not Headlights, and you leave yourself open to yet another Fine, if you don't also have your actual headlights ON at night at that time. See 2.

5. Idiots in Hyundais for example, that have that bright red lamp ON when their foglamps are ON, are their own worse enemy - as it tells the BIB behind them that they have their foglamps ON . See 1.

BLACK:

I'm now curious whether a driver with a 'black' vinyl roof will get away with it. A HiSo in a white Limo, with vinyl would I'm sure - but:

post-205215-0-22803600-1433067587_thumb.

Edited by tifino

Did you get a receipt?

I was fined 200 Baht (receipted) for not having the "Carry Boy" registered. It had been on the back of my DMax 10 years at the time. They have a mastermind somewhere who just devises ways to raise revenue. Too bad he/she could spend more time getting un roadworthy buses and trucks off the roads.

I bought a large gas powered BBQ in Pattaya in its box that it came in, and placed it on the rear of my truck and it was completely secured with all the correct ropes as we were travelling a long way up country.

We stayed one night in Bangkok and then proceeded on our way. I had no sooner got to the toll way when they stopped and fined us " for not having a cover " over the box!!!!!

If we had covered it in, they would have accused us of trying to conceal something!!

You cannot win with these filthy practices. It's the same as a speeding stop when you aren't speeding. Luck of the draw, no rhyme, no reason. POT LUCK!

Edited by Scouse123

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

Not so easy as you say for those of us with half a brain!!!

The Police either take your car documents or your driving licence and follow you to the Police station in their own sweet time leaving you waiting hours at times!!

You do not get away with it as easy as what you are saying!

Sometimes you just can't win - as I discovered during my national service with the Worcestershire Regiment in the late Fifties. The whole platoon was in danger of being back-squadded if we didn't getting a gawky bespectacled yokel known as Holmes the Heap through an imminent passing-out inspection.

A bunch of us stayed up half the night with blanco, Brasso and boot polish bulling his uniform, and boots to sparkling perfection. This time, there was no chance of Holmes letting the squad down because of his manky kit.

Come the big day and the entire platoon had passed muster apart from Holmes the Heap - the last in line for the eagle-eyed scrutiny of a chinless wonder chaperoned by our fearsome Platoon Sergeant Spelman.

To our huge relief, after a grueling and incredulous inch-by-inch inspection of the unusually immaculate squaddie, the officer grunted his grudging approval, called "Carry on, Sar'nt" and stalked off .

The involuntary smile of relief which had begun to spread across the yokel's relieved face vanished in an instant as Sgt.Spelman, standing directly behind him, bellowed in his bewildered ears: "Holmes! You're a shagging disgrace!"

As Holmes stood quivering and nonplussed, Spelman put his lips to one of his thrice-cleaned ears and hissed in a stage whisper loud enough for all of us to hear: "Your glasses, boy - they're shagging filthy!"

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

Not so easy as you say for those of us with half a brain!!!

The Police either take your car documents or your driving licence and follow you to the Police station in their own sweet time leaving you waiting hours at times!!

You do not get away with it as easy as what you are saying!

If they write you a ticket and you do not pay, when time comes to renew your registration you will be hit with the fine and you will have to pay or no rego, some road blocks use 2 sets of books one for legit other for tea money.

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

They fine you in Queensland, Australia, for driving with fog lights on in the day..$40........it may now have changed with cars with leds.

Did you get a receipt?

I was fined 200 Baht (receipted) for not having the "Carry Boy" registered. It had been on the back of my DMax 10 years at the time. They have a mastermind somewhere who just devises ways to raise revenue. Too bad he/she could spend more time getting un roadworthy buses and trucks off the roads.

I bought a large gas powered BBQ in Pattaya in its box that it came in, and placed it on the rear of my truck and it was completely secured with all the correct ropes as we were travelling a long way up country.

We stayed one night in Bangkok and then proceeded on our way. I had no sooner got to the toll way when they stopped and fined us " for not having a cover " over the box!!!!!

If we had covered it in, they would have accused us of trying to conceal something!!

You cannot win with these filthy practices. It's the same as a speeding stop when you aren't speeding. Luck of the draw, no rhyme, no reason. POT LUCK!

This is actually a law, all loads must be covered.

They fine you in Queensland, Australia, for driving with fog lights on in the day..$40........it may now have changed with cars with leds.

The road I was driving on from Mukdahan to Kalasin had lots of road work and heavy trucks, it was very dusty visibility was not good, now fog lights stay off, once bitten twice shy is my motto

The road I was driving on from Mukdahan to Kalasin had lots of road work and heavy trucks, it was very dusty visibility was not good, now fog lights stay off, once bitten twice shy is my motto

So the fine worked.