Pattaya passenger boat catches fire

Thaivisa News

The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine.

It might be the direct cause of the fire, but the boats should not use engines prone to overheating in hot climate in the first place.

These boats should be subject to a thorough yearly technical inspection in addition to a safety inspection.

The danger potential of these boats between Pattaya and Koh Larn is thankfully not as high as high seas ferries, due to the proximity of the coast and the high number of other vessels nearby at all times.

I am not sure if the families of the 6 victims that died in the November 2013 ferry sinking will agree.

I just noted that the owner of that ferry was Kho Larn Travel. I may be wrong but I think it's the same 're-branded' company that owns the one that caught fire a few days ago.

Serious money will now change hands, then some 'certificates' will be issued by 'inspectors' and things will stay the same.

"The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine."

According to Accu Weather... Monday was the coolest day in Pattaya in weeks.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/may-weather/317584

even the captain was cool in that situation,

few Chi more or less ? who would miss them ?

Did the captain shout "Abandon Ship" or "Follow Me" ???