Will lack of education be the downfall of Thailand?

khunpa

Berkshire, hopefully within forum rules.

What the hell do you know about education, schools in Thailand?

Twenty years I have been working, training Thai teachers.

You think I know nothing?

I have worked in slum schools in the poorest areas of Bangkok.

Perhaps I made a difference; I hope so.

My 7 year old daughter, who moved to Thailand when she was 3 years old, speaks far better English than any Thai English teacher she has had at the two schools she has attended here!

In fact, the quality of her English has deteriorated due to her exposure to the Thai "English teachers"!

I am constantly reteaching her proper grammar. to use.

Please, tell me again how well Thai teachers are educated?!!!!

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American education system is a good example of what not to do in education...

Throwing more money at the school systems have not resulted in improved performance...

What has happened over the years...is the less educated have become mature adults...placed in leadership rolls...and will be the eventual downfall of this once great nation...

A lack of leadership starts at the top...and is prevalent throughout governments, industry, and military...

Sad to see what is happening...

Throwing more money at the school systems have not resulted in improved performance...

What has happened over the years...is the less educated have become mature adults...placed in leadership rolls...and will be the eventual downfall of this once great nation...

A lack of leadership starts at the top...and is prevalent throughout governments, industry, and military...

Let's get serious here.

Thailand's top leaders of the future do not need much of an education.

How many well educated soldiers do you know of in Thailand?whistling.gif

Why should a doctor have to speak English when the patients are Thai?

Are you implying that doctors have not been trained properly if they do not speak English.

I would certainly be wary of any medical doctor who could had no ability to communicate to some extent in English. Basically for the same reason that I would not want to fly on a commercial airlines flown by a pilot who does not speak English. For better or worse, and for a number of complex reasons, English is the lingua franca of the globe and will remain so for generations to come. All educated professionals need to be able to read English and have some ability to communicate in English. No doctor can keep up with their field of specialty without being able to read the English language medical journals. Certainly those who speak no English can prescribe an antibiotic, or set a broken arm, or bandage up and maybe stitch a cut. But for any serious or complicated medical issue I would be loath to rely on any medical doctor in Thailand, or elsewhere. who could not communicate in English.

Now there are of course exceptions to the rule. And there are the rare students who plod through the Thai public education system and become educated adults and go on to graduate work abroad. My favorite example is my friend who writes the anonymous blog Kaewmala. But most Thai teachers I know, and I have known many over the decades, including my brother-in-law, have little more than high school level knowledge of their subjects and no knowledge of any pedagogical discourse or child psychology. The Thai schools do nothing more than to impart to their students a culture of subservience (not to mention a belief in fairy tales) towards an outside ruling elite based in Bangkok. Chaiyo!

Have you seen the latest research on less educated adults making ignorant generalizations about the education system in America? It's very sad.

In reply to Bekshire:

Have you ever been in a Thai state school?

No I am not part of the problem; in my simple way tried to make some diferrences.

Seems you have learnt Thai losing face.

Care not!

Your written English clearly isn't good enough, from your many posts, for you to teach it.

It appears you are part of the problem.

It looks like English is not your native language.

So you don't know how bad it really is.

The major problem in Thai schools, is their absolute failure to employ English teachers who can read, write and speak English.

In the Thai university system, it's usually the poorer English students that train as English teachers. Those who can speak it well tend to study science and engineering, where they can earn far more money.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

My wife's niece went to the state school in Chonburi. She is now studying clinical medicine on an international English speaking course at a university in China and she was awarded a scholarship on her first year results. She did fairly well at school but was not at the top of the class. It is not all bad.

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. wink.png

Why should a doctor have to speak English when the patients are Thai?

Are you implying that doctors have not been trained properly if they do not speak English.

My comment was regarding the education provided by the state school in Chonburi and not the medical profession but as usual there is always someone that wants to go off at a tangent.

Because 95% of all modern medical journals and texts are solely in English.

Education on the whole is below par but there is little will to do anything about it. Certainly in my 31 years of coming to LOS, the standard of English has deteriorated atrociously. The other day I was at an Airport bookshop, Asia Books, which specializes almost exclusively in books written in English. There were 2 male assistants who failed to speak or understand a single word of English - aged in their 20's. I tried for 10 minutes to explain about my Asia Books / Bookazine discount card and how they could check my number on the computer, but I might as well have been talking some unheard of foreign language, as they hadn't even the first clue about their own Company's discount card! Surely it would not cost much more to at least employ staff who spoke at least a smattering of English?

My wife's niece went to the state school in Chonburi. She is now studying clinical medicine on an international English speaking course at a university in China and she was awarded a scholarship on her first year results. She did fairly well at school but was not at the top of the class. It is not all bad.

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. wink.png
Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

Let me guess, you are one of the ones who speak fluent Thai and married to a good girl from wealthy family?giggle.gif

But to enlighten you, because English is part of curriculum.

Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

Let me guess, you are one of the ones who speak fluent Thai and married to a good girl from wealthy family?giggle.gif

I'm unsure of the intent behind the above quote but I would like to add a realistic observation to the "speak fluent Thai" bit ... Speaking fluent Thai would be of little value or use in the majority of Thailand. Local people speak in their own dialect and have little knowledge or understanding of Meuang Thai. Edited by billphillips

How do you propose they wake up? and who will teach ?

Who will be teaching the teachers?

who else but the Chinese ? they are preparing to ride the Thais hard . they re in the process of "buying" Thailand .

I'm unsure of the intent behind the above quote but I would like to add a realistic observation to the "speak fluent Thai" bit ... Speaking fluent Thai would be of little value or use in the majority of Thailand. Local people speak in their own dialect and have little knowledge or understanding of Meuang Thai.

Wrong.

Firstly, it's called pasah klang, or, central Thai language and it is taught in schools throughout Thailand.

It's the language that allows one Thai to speak to another, no matter where they come from.

How do you propose they wake up? and who will teach ?

Who will be teaching the teachers?

who else but the Chinese ? they are preparing to ride the Thais hard . they re in the process of "buying" Thailand .

Love reading the nonsense. Not only Chinese are foreigners who can not buy into Thailand , but Thai will not be ridden hard, too lazy to do that .

Chinese will learn that soon.

Education = money
no money = no education
have money = choose your degree

Yet, even with (local) education what they ALL lack is common sense.

If you revamp this today by firing all those brain benders and replace them with professional pedagogically educated professionals; replace all those ignorant silly school books with professional material it will still take TWO generations to say the least to jack Thailand into the 21st century.
The answer is somewhere else; the elite does not want smart arsed voters and sayers - the Romans already proved the "fun and games" part. While the oligarch 70 - 100 families ransack the 68 million Thais they rather start moving offshore because the rooster is coming home anytime soon to roost.
The writing is on the wall - civil war is around the corner. Let all those English-speaking Filipinos and Indonesians come into Thailand under the AEC2015 and you'll face 5 - 8, possibly 10 million Thais out of a job - FOR GOOD! And the sad thing about all this = it is not their fault. The voted with purchased votes; the THB 500 - THB 1'000 per vote is being paid back with blood and tears - just wait and see! How sad :-(

Ive noticed similar with people in the UK who have a lot of confidence, think they know about something then make themselves look a complete dick BUT they keep up the façade of "knowing" what they are on about, confident but that's all.

The result of never being told they were wrong and ALWAYS praised through the education system, cant tell kids now "you're as thick as sh*te"

I think some people either mix in the underclasses (understandably poor education) or they have not been 'home' in a longggggg time . My Thai family puts me to shame with how intelligent they are ! You do realise the west gives out university degrees like confetti these days ? Education is big business now , the more students that role through those doors the more money they make ....... Simple

How dare you , I got my degree in "Mickey Mouse" only last year , cost a lot though.

I believe the education system in Thailand is exactly what those in power ( those with the money ) want it to be.

Your average Thai is poorly educated and is well suited and satisfied to worki in the mud and hot sun on the farms, in the factories, or even in a 7/11..

The wealthy, poorly educated Thai's family can buy them a university degree and continue the family tradition of " doing well".

How else do you explain people with university degrees to teach English who can not speak the English language???

Most Thai teachers are not qualified to teach.

So, most Thai students are not qualified to learn.

But, it works for Thailand!wai2.gif

I believe you may have a point, but it will ultimately end up to all of Thailand's detriment. You can throw money at failed engineering projects, faulty designed buildings, and unintelligent policies etc for only so long.

I think some people either mix in the underclasses (understandably poor education) or they have not been 'home' in a longggggg time . My Thai family puts me to shame with how intelligent they are ! You do realise the west gives out university degrees like confetti these days ? Education is big business now , the more students that role through those doors the more money they make ....... Simple

How dare you , I got my degree in "Mickey Mouse" only last year , cost a lot though.

I've never heard of such a degree. I think you may be talking about your Mickey Mau degree.

I'm unsure of the intent behind the above quote but I would like to add a realistic observation to the "speak fluent Thai" bit ... Speaking fluent Thai would be of little value or use in the majority of Thailand. Local people speak in their own dialect and have little knowledge or understanding of Meuang Thai.

Wrong.

Firstly, it's called pasah klang, or, central Thai language and it is taught in schools throughout Thailand.

It's the language that allows one Thai to speak to another, no matter where they come from.

Not entirely wrong,

Central Thai is the language used in high schools, in junior schools and kindergarten they normally speak their local language.

Makes for a fun time in the first year of high school, where some classes have pupils speaking 3 entirely different languages.

Ive noticed similar with people in the UK who have a lot of confidence, think they know about something then make themselves look a complete dick BUT they keep up the façade of "knowing" what they are on about, confident but that's all.

The result of never being told they were wrong and ALWAYS praised through the education system, cant tell kids now "you're as thick as sh*te"

Most of the western foreigners I meet in Thailand barely finished high school.

Not sure what educational standards you are expecting from working class people from any country.

While a lack of education may not be the downfall of Thailand, there has to be a major, and radical overhaul to the whole system ( from top to bottom ).

Thailand will see its competetiveness in the world market place dwindle, ( there are already open signs of this ), and the country will be transformed back to the days prior to major FDI into the country.

Any withdrawl of major cap-ex by large International companys, will soon see Thailand in a very sorry place, and with neighbouring countries able to supply better, well educated, and willing personel to these large companys, the future does not look very good for Thailand IMHO.

Just a cockney lad me son, not into high falutin talk.

How the hell did I gotten a degree from Cambridge,

Some chappies don't have coprehension skills!

Most seem to understand my style of writing; sorry if it displeases one.

I have found the dentists here to be pretty good. Is that an exception?

Yes far better than the dentists in the UK. The dental service here is 100% better.

when you find one that does not overcharge and want to do unnecessary work, then yes. Unfortunately too many of them here do, but can be pretty crafty about it.

Well I just read the article. Not a very good article to get his point over. All he could refer to was the result of past education or lack of. Beginning back when Yingluck was in the Education minister knocked the system Yingluck then appointed another one who also said the system had to change.

The current administration is working on it. It like so many other problems with the government is so deep in corruption that it will take time to root it out but progress is slowly being made. I recently purchased a computer for my 10 and 15 year old granddaughters to use in school. This is some thing that never would have been needed 5 years ago.

Yes the school system compared to other countries may be lacking in it's growth. But remember some of them have a long way to go to even catch up to Thailand's. I also noticed that he was beating that old can't speak English drum. It does not take a large percentage of the population to speak English. It is not needed to plant rice the backbone of the country. It is needed in International business and the air flight industry also tourism but that is not a big percentage of the population involved in it.

It comes to something when our son ,who lived for many years in the UK and speaks,reads and writes perfect English and is now in university ,is paid to teach english in his spare time at same university ,as he knows it better than the teachers.

Wouldn't ",who lived for many years in the UK and speaks, reads and writes perfect English" be a clue as to why his English is better. Remember for the Thai teachers it's still their 2nd language. They haven't lived many years overseas, they've learned it at a school in Thailand. My Thai English co-teachers all speak quite decent English, and are better at grammar than I am. Of course, they are always asking about new words, but so am I.

Grammar is not the number one priority, communication is.

I speak strangled Thai and Thai speak to me in strangled English, but we communicate and understand!

I agree that grammar isn't the priority. But it's useful to improve the language skill. That's why there are native speakers teaching communication and Thai English teachers teaching grammar.