Water level in Lam Takhong dam critical

Lite Beer

Water level in Lam Takhong dam critical

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 28 June 2015 (NNT) - The Lam Takhong dam in Nakhon Ratchasima province has 57 million cubic meters or 18% of water left for use. The local irrigation department has suggested farmers in the irrigation areas to postpone their cultivation until the rain comes in July.

Director of the 8th Irrigation Office in Nakhon Ratchasima Chitchanok Somprasert said there would likely be no water left in the dam by October if the rain did not come. If the rain fell abundantly in August as forecast by the Meteorological Department, there would be sufficient water in the dam for agriculture, said the director.

The director added that major dams under the Royal Irrigation Department could not provide water for rice fields outside of the irrigation areas. He also suggested the local people to use less water by 20-30%.

If the rain did not come in August, the government would have to limit cultivated areas, the director said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-28 footer_n.gif

Usually as soon as they issue warnings inundation starts the next day. I have some sympathy with officials.

I'm surprised that the water is lasting as long as it is.

it doesn't help that the farmers agreed to two crops this year and some have now put in a fifth in some areas. The village heads were told this and the farmers have just gone ahead and done what they thought, so no wonder there is no water!

FIVE rice crops per year, based on which calendar!

BTW rice crops do not demand water hence they are not the cause of water shortage.

Is it closer to Bangkok or by bus?

(I'm just continuing on a thread of nonsensical sentences)

BTW rice crops do not demand water hence they are not the cause of water shortage.

Hmmm that really is good news. I was always under the impression that rice needed water hahaha. As to the incompetance of all the officials, as i see it the bloody rain just wont come and the only person you can blame is God ?

I thought 3 crops was the maximum they could squeeze into 1 year.

And local to me they tend to have one rice crop each year and plant just before/as the rainy season starts. Perhaps because rice needs quite a bit of water?

But maybe 5 crops and not much water is true. They could've made the 'super' rice available all over Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/709585-Thammasat-unveils-new-rice-strain/page__view__findpost__p__7539026

Edited by sean in udon

Hmmm that really is good news. I was always under the impression that rice needed water hahaha. As to the incompetance of all the officials, as i see it the bloody rain just wont come and the only person you can blame is God ?

To be crystal:

Three rice crops per year is about the maximum, given the time needed to plant, grow and harvest the crop.

And no, rice doesn't demand water, farmers demand water for their crops.