Uk Tourist Bangkok Bank (account) Or Another Bank?

Im coming to thailand in four days for one month. I would like to set up a thai bank account to transfer funds via SWIFT tranfer to save money

1Im thinking of setting up a bangkok bank account should i use this bank?

their website says :-

I am a tourist and want to deposit and withdraw cash while I am traveling in Thailand. Can I open an account at Bangkok Bank?

Yes, you can open a ‘Resident Baht Account’ and make transactions via any Bangkok Bank’s counter or you can apply for a Bualuang ATM card to use within Thailand. This account provides you with access to your funds from any ATM machine in the country however, you will not be able to access your funds from overseas. [/b]

2do i need anything more than a passport?

it says on their website that i may need a A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad. This must be a bank which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank and sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

3is this the best bank to go for for tourists?

4what about the SCB bank that someone on another forum sugested

desperately need this info asap

Edited by brian123

Hi Brian,

I am sure everyone will have their own opinions and experiences. For me Bangkok Bank is fine but they would not open a Savings Account for me without a Work Permit. Others here have been more lucky and have got an account with only a passport. It really does depend on who you speak to and what branch you go to. From my own experience I would avoid head office and try the branches. If one says no, try another and I am sure you'll get something.

Andy.

Im coming to thailand in four days for one month. I would like to set up a thai bank account to transfer funds via SWIFT tranfer to save money

I am a tourist and want to deposit and withdraw cash while I am traveling in Thailand. Can I open an account at Bangkok Bank?

Yes, you can open a ‘Resident Baht Account’ and make transactions via any Bangkok Bank’s counter or you can apply for a Bualuang ATM card to use within Thailand. This account provides you with access to your funds from any ATM machine in the country however, you will not be able to access your funds from overseas. [/b]

it says on their website that i may need a A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad. This must be a bank which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank and sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

I opened an account with the Bangkok Bank last year whislt on holiday with just my passport without any problems. I regulalrly transfered money from UK via swift and recently did the same from Pattaya by faxing the swift form to my uk bank again no problem. They also gave me a visa electron card with my name and signature on it.However it begs the question of why you think you need a bank account here if only staying one month? Some banks allow atm withdrawals abroad with no charges and given the current situation that would be more safe than transering a large some into Thailand! In my case I now live here and the money was for major purchases however, I access my pension every month via atm from my UK bank with no charges.

Well I opened a Bangkok Bank account April 2006.

It was a "savings account" with a Visa (Electron - electronic use only ie no internet transactions) card that is also the ATM card.

I opened at the HO in Bangkok. first woman I saw (a miserable old bag) said "need work permit" then gave me an English memo saying "Bangkok bank is pleased to allow tourists to open...."

I went back next day and worked out that all I needed (from a younger and smiling clerk) was a certified copy of my passport (1,250 Bahy from the blood sucking bast@rds at the british embassy)

I opened an account - passbook + ATM on the spot.

Later with my work permit I added online access and a credit card (with fixed deposit as security). Its a so called "savings" account but I can pay online bills etc so not same concept as UK. I dont need a cheque book so wont bother with a cheque account.

Relatively simple and efficient! Beware of backward rules like getting charged for withdrawing cash from ATM's outside of your region! all banks seem to do this (I have a Krung Thai account for salary credits). It sucks and is so stupid!

dont leave it inactive or they will close it down. i didnt use my BKK Bank account for 6months when i came back to use it again it was closed down and they helped themselves to the 3000 bahts in there.

complaints to the manager to open it again were unsuccessfull.