Mexico: Top drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman escapes

Lite Beer

Mexico: Top drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman escapes

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico's security commission says top drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman has escaped from a maximum security prison for the second time.

It says in a statement late Saturday that Guzman, who headed the powerful Sinaloa Cartel, was last seen in the area of the Altiplano prison's showers.

The commission said a search operation was being set into motion in the surrounding area and flights have been suspended at Toluca airport near the penitentiary outside Mexico City.

Guzman has been in prison since February 2014.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-12

It's a shame.

Mexico is such a great and important nation.

The Mexican people deserve so much better.

Mexico is a piec of crap nation that is so corrupt that it can not even feed,educate, or supply any basic human needs to its people. Important what the hell have you been smoking.They are drug dealers and drug addicts, And everyone is corrupt its the most dangerous place on earth. Ive been all over that country its a depressing place for any citizen.

It's a shame.

Mexico is a piec of crap nation that is so corrupt that it can not even feed,educate, or supply any basic human needs to its people. Important what the hell have you been smoking.They are drug dealers and drug addicts, And everyone is corrupt its the most dangerous place on earth. Ive been all over that country its a depressing place for any citizen.

Yep if there s a single positive out of the emerging 'total war' on terrorism than its that the wests security forces will have its budget secured for the foreseable future so they wont need to wage war on drug production. perhaps a more rational to the production sale and the distribution of lets face it a really valuable commodity would benefit all not in the least some of the.poorest nations in the world.

rijit

Edited by rijit

It's a shame.

So wrong. It is the cultural leader of Latin America. It has the 11th largest economy in the world in purchasing power parity. Also, in ppp the economy is over $2 trillion. The per capita income is nearly $11,000. The people are amazing, smart, creative and industrious. The culture is wonderful.

The drug trade is huge and had created enormous problems. But, it represents a tiny number of their people. And it is far less dangerous than Honduras, El Salvador or Brazil. I have also been all over that country. I know alot of Mexicans. You and I see two completely different countries.

It's a shame.

So wrong. It is the cultural leader of Latin America. It has the 11th largest economy in the world in purchasing power parity. Also, in ppp the economy is over $2 trillion. The per capita income is nearly $11,000. The people are amazing, smart, creative and industrious. The culture is wonderful.

The drug trade is huge and had created enormous problems. But, it represents a tiny number of their people. And it is far less dangerous than Honduras, El Salvador or Brazil. I have also been all over that country. I know alot of Mexicans. You and I see two completely different countries.

Geez, sort of makes you wonder why so many Mexicans want to leave paradise.

Mexico is torn by constant violence from the factions fighting over the US drug market. They do not want to share they want it all for themselves, and mexico has tried to play along with american policy and it is destroying their country. It is really sad the number of innocents that are dying due to one countries Policy and forcing of that policy upon the world. It is killing more people than the lives destroyed by drugs, worse yet, people go imagine what would happen if drugs were no longer criminal.

I think of mexico and wonder if what is happening now is just completely sickening enough, isn't this the worst it can possible get. Suck the risk and value out of the market, it will dismantle the narco gangs in short order, and solve so many problems that face society.

As for wondering why Mexicans a willing migrant workers, the answer is unemployment rates, and higher potential incomes elsewhere.

Edited by jcisco

A large portion of the illegal immigration of Latinos into the U.S. is not actually Mexican but other nationalities passing through Mexico. Sure illegal immigration is a big problem but Mexico remains a large country with a large population and an internationally significant economy. It also has great future potential to become even more important assuming it can ever clean up its major problems.

Just watched a recent (2015) documentary called "Secrets of Mexico's Drug War".

I won't comment on it, leaving it to your own judgment... But it does paint some pretty unflattering pictures. Worth a download and a watch.

Mexico is torn by constant violence from the factions fighting over the US drug market. They do not want to share they want it all for themselves, and mexico has tried to play along with american policy and it is destroying their country. It is really sad the number of innocents that are dying due to one countries Policy and forcing of that policy upon the world. It is killing more people than the lives destroyed by drugs, worse yet, people go imagine what would happen if drugs were no longer criminal.

I think of mexico and wonder if what is happening now is just completely sickening enough, isn't this the worst it can possible get. Suck the risk and value out of the market, it will dismantle the narco gangs in short order, and solve so many problems that face society.

As for wondering why Mexicans a willing migrant workers, the answer is unemployment rates, and higher potential incomes elsewhere.

Great post but Surely if the drug trade was no longer criminalised the 'fight' could be managed by governments and board rooms, not perfect but surely preferable 2 the current situ.?

rijit

Edited by rijit

It's a shame.

Mexico has one of the largest middle classes in the entire third world. But there is still a lot of poverty. It is the third world. But just barely.

A large portion of the illegal immigration of Latinos into the U.S. is not actually Mexican but other nationalities passing through Mexico. Sure illegal immigration is a big problem but Mexico remains a large country with a large population and an internationally significant economy. It also has great future potential to become even more important assuming it can ever clean up its major problems.

yep saw a great film called 'which way home' about a group of honduran kids trying to make their way to the 'promised land' the usa.

rijit

Are you kidding me. Mexico is the most dangerous place in the world and has been for at least ten years. More people have died at the hands of drug cartells in the last two years than soldiers died in Vietnam. Kidnapping, Contract killings, Judicial corruption and Govt corruption is unequaled anywhere in the world. Thousands of people each day storm the US border trying to get out of that hell........

Dismay in US over Guzman's escape from Mexican prison
MICHAEL TARM, Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) — Reactions in the United States to the escape from Mexican prison of a reputed drug lord ranged from disbelief to outrage, with some observers saying it dramatically illustrated the need for captured cartel kingpins to be promptly extradited to the U.S.

A former administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration said he was dismayed by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's weekend escape — apparently through a mile-long tunnel — from the Altiplano prison, 55 miles west of Mexico City.

"It is a shock that the most dangerous cartel leader in the world has escaped," Peter Bensinger said Sunday. "He ought to have been housed in an American prison."

Washington's official response was diplomatic, as Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement Sunday that the U.S. shared "Mexico's concern regarding the escape" and stood by to help in the manhunt.

But one Mexico expert said American officials likely expressed more frustration behind the scenes.

"I think this will add to the distrust many U.S. agencies feel (toward the Mexican government) — even if that's not publicly voiced," said David Shirk, San Diego-based fellow for the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

At least some observers said they weren't surprised by Guzman's escape given Mexican prisons' reputation, including Gal Pissetzky, a defense attorney who has represented suspected drug traffickers in U.S. courts nationwide.

"I'm surprised he stayed locked up in there as long as he did," Pissetzky said.

The Chicago Crime Commission, an influential crime-fighting group in Illinois, said Sunday that the prison break meant Guzman will regain his title as Public Enemy No. 1 in Chicago, where his Sinaloa cartel has long dominated the cocaine and heroin trade.

When the group attached the Public Enemy label to Guzman a year before his capture, it was the first time it had been used since it was applied in 1930 to Prohibition-era gangster Al Capone. The Chicago Crime Commission planned to formally restore the title to Guzman this week, said John Pastuovic, a spokesman for the non-governmental body.

Several U.S. attorneys' offices have indicted Guzman on trafficking charges, including in Chicago, where several Guzman lieutenants were successfully extradited, prosecuted and imprisoned. The U.S. had said after Guzman's 2014 capture that it would file an extradition request, though it's unclear if that already happened.

For its part, Mexico's government at the time denied the need to extradite Guzman even as many expressed fears he would inevitably escape. He had escaped before, in 2001, while serving a 20-year sentence in another maximum-security prison in Mexico.

That air of self-confidence among Mexican authorities will be harder to maintain if and when Mexico recaptures Guzman or nabs some other cartel leader, Shirk said.

"The calls for extradition (to the U.S.) will be more intense" in the wake of Guzman's escape, he said. "It'll be more difficult for the Mexican government to say, 'No, no. We have this under control.'"

Added Shirk, "It is clear that maximum security prisons in Mexico are anything but."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-13

Hell on earth doesn't just have its location defined by country borders. It is also defined by the hearts of people and I've seen it within every country's borders I have lived in - 3rd and 1st world!

Hell on earth doesn't just have its location defined by country borders. It is also defined by the hearts of people and I've seen it within every country's borders I have lived in - 3rd and 1st world!

What ?

rijit

It's a shame.

So much of what you see in a country is what you bring to it.

What ?

rijit

I'll drink to that, especially since empireboy already has started.

It's a shame.

So much of what you see in a country is what you bring to it.

Yep the old saying what goes round comes around springs to mind.

rijit

Mexico has one of the largest middle classes in the entire third world. But there is still a lot of poverty. It is the third world. But just barely.

If it's such a great place to live, why do Mexicans make up 17% of US population? whistling.gif

Edited by Loptr