Is buying car insurance direct cheaper than a broker?

giddyup

I dont think that you do, but I would always recommend consulting several brokers as they dont all seem to offer the same prices even when the insurance is from the same company. Maybe it's just their level of competence in selecting the options.

My experience with a quote from AA was being offered only one fits all policy which did not suit my needs. I was able to get a policy much better for me by comparison shopping.

THe policy was OK but only one was offered and it was not what I needed.

If You dont call or check online Asia direct You May well be sad !! I saved on a direct policy with them 5000 baht !! great company, others using them on this form too !! prices online and outstanding service IMHO

Edited by Nickthegreek

If You dont call or check online Asia direct You May well be sad !! I saved on a direct policy with them 5000 baht !! great company, others using them on this form too !! prices online and outstanding service IMHO

I have also found Asia Direct excellent. They speak good English and are prepared to spend time to explain things to you. A welcome change from most insurance companies.

My experience with a quote from AA was being offered only one fits all policy which did not suit my needs. I was able to get a policy much better for me by comparison shopping.

THe policy was OK but only one was offered and it was not what I needed.

So, without a professional directory, how did you go about comparison shopping. Please, educate us.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll stick with AA brokers I think.

I just got a quote of 19,500 from Toyota. This is the second year car insurance as the first year was in with the purchase deal.

I had a broker round two weeks ago who has taken it to one of the biggest insurers and is charging 16,300 baht for identical cover!

So, it's 3200 saved for nothing and he, the broker, came to the house to do the paperwork.

Asia Direct - need not say more

Just got an online quote from Asia Direct for my 2014 Mitsu Triton, 12,500 baht. AA quoted me over 19,000 baht.

Presumably you have already but make sure you are comparing exactly like for like - especially the value given for the vehicle.The difference you quote seems to high to me otherwise.

I looked at this site once to compare and could not get the same values so gave up in the end.

It's funny how some of us find things easy and others don't here in Thailand as I know if every time I use or used a broker until I switched to Asia direct is that depending on how good or bad a day they were having Was how good or bad Your discount would be..With Asia direct what they tell You is what You pay and the back support in English is some of the best I have come into contact with in 10 years here.

AA make it easy.

They can give you a few alternative insurers if you ask them, or, as in my case, I just keep renewing with the same ones as I am happy with the price.

If you want to do a comparison, try at the Expats Club and see if the guy there can give you a better quote.

When I bought my new Honda 2 years ago, the dealer arranged insurance through Honda, however, this year, they arranged it through Krung Thai Bank at a much cheaper rate and even then I was able to negotiate and it was reduced a further B2,000. Since I've had the vehicle the dealer has arranged the insurance and even registration and 3rd party cover. I do not have to do anything. The dealer rings me prior to expiry, I turn up and pay, then when the documents arrive I turn up, they take off the old stickers and fit the new. It is a great service and wouldn't do it any other way.

I use tesco lotus, very good in my opinion.

Where is their insurance office?

At the customer service desks in all their stores.

Thanks, worth asking for a quote.

Tesco not the best service or price - all they do is offer what they are told and do not ask questions like a good broker should - try AA and they will ask for several things to help lower the premium and should there be a problem they are at the end of a phone (in english !)

Just got an online quote from Asia Direct for my 2014 Mitsu Triton, 12,500 baht. AA quoted me over 19,000 baht.

Without details of the age of the truck, the residual value (what the insurers will pay you if it is written off) and any deductibles, it is impossible to calculate the real value of your significant discount.

Without details of the age of the truck, the residual value (what the insurers will pay you if it is written off) and any deductibles, it is impossible to calculate the real value of your significant discount.

To get the quote you need to put in the brand and age of the vehicle, the age of the driver, any accidents in last 12 months etc. Then the quote gives you details of payout figures, deductible (5000 baht) etc., so I'm not sure why you are suggesting that it's impossible to calculate.