New Thai(Elite)Visa ! 5 Year PE Visa !

Been following this topic a lot and thought I'd chip in.

Personally I would never dream of paying to be a guest in Thailand unless it led to more solid grounds. 500,000 to 2,000,000 for the right to stay here and yet not live here is too high. I can see it being attractive to frequent travellers to Thailand who own condos here but as a method to live here it doesn't add up unless there were more possibilities in the future. On the other hand I'g gladly pay that amount for residence here leading to citizenship. Along with loads of other expats I want to live here properly, I have a work permit and multiple entry visa hoping to get extension shortly, three years to apply for residence.

My main question is if I paid 500k for this visa, after three years - along with my current work permit being renewed for that time can I apply for residence being on this visa? If yes I would definitely consider this option.

Another question - are work permit rules relaxed for holders of this visa?

Why would you need to do this you already have a WP , 3 years of extensions and paying tax on around 80k m and you can apply for PR, there is no benefit in you getting the 500k TE

While I can get a work permit I don't meet the requirements for extension of stay for business. My wife who is Thai lives in the UK so marriage extension would be difficult paying 500k for visa would make it easier.

Why dont you qualify out of curiousity ?

The company has only just been formed and I got the work permit with 2 Thai staff - immigration say you need 4 as a must for business extension but that wouldn't be feasible on the amount I make.....

Even with 4 employees you cant apply for the extension for 2 years anyway, as the company needs to show audited books

Personally I would never dream of paying to be a guest in Thailand unless it led to more solid grounds. 500,000 to 2,000,000 for the right to stay here and yet not live here is too high. I can see it being attractive to frequent travellers to Thailand who own condos here but as a method to live here it doesn't add up unless there were more possibilities in the future. On the other hand I'g gladly pay that amount for residence here leading to citizenship. Along with loads of other expats I want to live here properly, I have a work permit and multiple entry visa hoping to get extension shortly, three years to apply for residence.

My main question is if I paid 500k for this visa, after three years - along with my current work permit being renewed for that time can I apply for residence being on this visa? If yes I would definitely consider this option.

You can't work with a TE visa and only non immigration visa holders qualify for PR. So it wouldn't be any good for your plans.

The Thailand Elite site says PE visa? Privileged Entry? As this is not a tourist visa it must be a non immigrant? From the site it says the below - now does this mean I can just get a work permit for my company no questions asked without jumping through any hoops, Thai staff etc? Any holders of the card got a work permit before and after getting this visa? Is it just a question of getting one or do requirements still need to be met? Also anyone on this visa applied for residence after having it for so long?

Government Concierge - Immigration Service - Driver's License - Work Permit

No your mixing visa systems, even if a TE visa could be used for a WP, employee requirements, cap of Ltd company will not change

Just called Thailand Elite thanks to them being 24 hours and this unfortunately seems to be correct - it can't lead to residence. What a shame and what a waste of money :)

You can't work with a TE visa and only non immigration visa holders qualify for PR. So it wouldn't be any good for your plans.

The Thailand Elite site says PE visa? Privileged Entry? As this is not a tourist visa it must be a non immigrant? From the site it says the below - now does this mean I can just get a work permit for my company no questions asked without jumping through any hoops, Thai staff etc? Any holders of the card got a work permit before and after getting this visa? Is it just a question of getting one or do requirements still need to be met? Also anyone on this visa applied for residence after having it for so long?

No your mixing visa systems, even if a TE visa could be used for a WP, employee requirements, cap of Ltd company will not change

Just called Thailand Elite thanks to them being 24 hours and this unfortunately seems to be correct - it can't lead to residence. What a shame and what a waste of money :)

its not a waste of money for some

Privileged entry, whatever that means, just gives you entry into the country. Once in the labour laws apply to everyone including PE members.

Non-immigrant simply means non-citizen. But I don't believe that Thai immigration class TE visas as one of the non-immigration visas needed for either work permits or PR.

Work permits are issued by the department of labour and only when you are employed by a Thai company/entity and after you and the entity jump through all the hoops. TE is not a short cut to a WP or a way to avoid the hoops.

As far as I'm aware a TE member that wants a work permit to work for a Thai entity would need to change to a qualifying non-immigration visa.

Incase you haven't seen it here's the link for a residence permit (PR). http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/26122546_regulation_notice_en.pdf

I applied on Friday. I'm ok to spend to stay stress free.

I'm 49, have an ed visa and a passport full of back to back tourist visas. Can't speak a word of thai. I'm perfectly set up to be refused entry at the airport.

The 8333 bht/month that I'll pay for this is as much as a heavy night out...

I think it's a great offer!

I'm 49, have an ed visa and a passport full of back to back tourist visas. Can't speak a word of thai. I'm perfectly set up to be refused entry at the airport.

You won't regret it, trust me.

Forget these ED or tourists things.

Now you will be able to enter the country as you want and stay as much or as short as you want.

Welcome :)

• Like 2

Privileged entry, whatever that means, just gives you entry into the country. Once in the labour laws apply to everyone including PE members.

Non-immigrant simply means non-citizen. But I don't believe that Thai immigration class TE visas as one of the non-immigration visas needed for either work permits or PR.

Work permits are issued by the department of labour and only when you are employed by a Thai company/entity and after you and the entity jump through all the hoops. TE is not a short cut to a WP or a way to avoid the hoops.

As far as I'm aware a TE member that wants a work permit to work for a Thai entity would need to change to a qualifying non-immigration visa.

Incase you haven't seen it here's the link for a residence permit (PR). http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/26122546_regulation_notice_en.pdf

If you have a PE visa based on your TE membership and for some reason you also want a work permit then you need to get an additional B visa and a work permit the same as everyone else who has a work permit to enable them to work in Thailand.

This subject is touched on in the documentation issued when you join and it says that the concierge service can help you with the arrangements. The requirements are going to be the same as for a regular visa and work permit in addition to the PE visa.

So like others have said, this isn't the visa to get if you're going to be working in Thailand as you still need to go through the same process as all other workers, however there may be some benefits to this, like in a scenario where you're employing some executives in a large company environment, a family visa would perhaps make things easier for an employees family.

I could see it being useful for those who own businesses in Thailand but don't work there, lots of foreigners own businesses like hotels, resorts, restaurants, etc and don't work in them. They leave that to the employees and employ local management.

What would happen if PE visa holders didn't bother doing 90-day reports and only left the country once a year to get another year's permission to stay?

Are there any reports of PE visa holders / Thai Elite members getting fined for not doing their 90-day reports?

Why would you do such a thing?

Just to break the rule?

For that kind of money, it should be, that I can either at least only one time a year show myself at the Immigration in Thailand or at a border leaving-entering the country.

That would be enough to, in my opinion.

What would happen if PE visa holders didn't bother doing 90-day reports and only left the country once a year to get another year's permission to stay?

Are there any reports of PE visa holders / Thai Elite members getting fined for not doing their 90-day reports?

Just to break the rule?

For that kind of money, it should be, that I can either at least only one time a year show myself at the Immigration in Thailand or at a border leaving-entering the country.

by that logic, it's a 5 year visa, why not wait 5 years? Or just not get a visa at all!

I'm sure TE would do away with the reports and the yearly stamps if they could.

The elite visa had to fit within the existing Immigration Act, (mods correct me if I'm wrong) which means maximum grant of stay of 1 year with 90 day reports. To make it anything other than that, they'd need to change the immigration Act.

Just to break the rule?

by that logic, it's a 5 year visa, why not wait 5 years? Or just not get a visa at all!

The elite visa had to fit within the existing Immigration Act, (mods correct me if I'm wrong) which means maximum grant of stay of 1 year with 90 day reports. To make it anything other than that, they'd need to change the immigration Act.

Some on here would like visas, PR and, why not, citizenship given for free ;)

My opinion is that "for that kind of money" we can already be very happy with the Thailand Elite offer.

A PE visa, one year stamps, and all the other perks, for only "that kind of money" is a bargain.

I understand that not everybody is of the same opinion though... :)

Edited by gerry1011

Sorry, your logic is not my logic.

They want to make it more comfortable so for me that would be more comfort.

If a law has to be changed, so change it. rolleyes.gif

Some on here would like visas, PR and, why not, citizenship given for free wink.png

My opinion is that "for that kind of money" we can already be very happy with the Thailand Elite offer.

A PE visa, one year stamps, and all the other perks, for only "that kind of money" is a bargain.

I understand that not everybody is of the same opinion though... smile.png

Its idiotic that you have to show your face every 90 days, in my opinion with whatever Visa.

As far as I know, if you apply for a Cambodian one year Visa you come back in a year, not every 90 days.

Better.

And even Western countries need for pay outs from pension or orphans' pensions, only a one time a year

-proof of live- so its possible, to make life more easy.

But you want to chew all without questioning it, ok, so be it. tongue.png

Some on here would like visas, PR and, why not, citizenship given for free wink.png

Its idiotic that you have to show your face every 90 days, in my opinion with whatever Visa.

As far as I know, if you apply for a Cambodian one year Visa you come back in a year, not every 90 days.

Better.

And even Western countries need for pay outs from pension or orphans' pensions, only a one time a year

Not sure if it is "idiotic" to have to show your face every 90 days, but it is the present rule.

Be welcome to question the rule, but it will not change anything anyway.

I do agree with you that it would be better if foreigners did not have to do the 90 day report.

But it is not the case.

Anyway, you can always do it online, if you don't like to show your face at immigration.

And if the use of the online system seems too difficult for you, as a Thailand Elite member, you can have it done for you, without having to show up at immigration (in Bangkok only).

Better.

You do not have to show your face every 90 days.

You can report by post or online

Sorry, your logic is not my logic.

They want to make it more comfortable so for me that would be more comfort.

If a law has to be changed, so change it. rolleyes.gif

who's they? TE? ThaiVisa? Me?None of us can appease your demand to change the immigration act for the sole reason of your "comfort". Edited by dickyknee

who's they? TE? ThaiVisa? Me?None of us can appease your demand to change the immigration act for the sole reason of your "comfort".

-dickyknee- blink.png

The responsible Authorities. wink.png

Would be the -comfort- for everybody, who does not have to make that -idiotic- 90 day reports.

You seem to like stupid laws. coffee1.gif

who's they? TE? ThaiVisa? Me?None of us can appease your demand to change the immigration act for the sole reason of your "comfort".

-dickyknee- blink.png

Would be the -comfort- for everybody, who does not have to make that -idiotic- 90 day reports.

you seem to be more adept to the laws pertaining to being a citizen of your home country than to those of being a foreigner.

you seem to be more adept to the laws pertaining to being a citizen of your home country than to those of being a foreigner.

What is without real reason, can be questioned. Wherever that is. Whatever that is.smile.png

Thais seem to look down on Cambodia,

but the Cambodian Immigration and Visa laws are much more easy

and convenient, also some have higher costs.

Important, all the money runs in the pockets of the Cambodian Authorities.

With the Visa runs and border runs,

Thai Immigration laws require, the Thai neighboring countries win a good part

of the revenue of that Thai - Visa-travelling.rolleyes.gif

Who cares if they make a commission?

Are we communists here or something?

If so, you're in the wrong country.

Good golly Jingthing. Calm down. I simply want to know what is going on regarding TV pushing it all of a sudden. If you want to remain uninformed that is your privilege.

Yes, it is a hassle to have to report every 90 days. From the gov't's side they keep track of where everyone is, though I doubt they truly have the ability to do it. it would be nice if the States had to ability to track every tourist. But impossible. I have met many Chinese in LA who are on a student visa but who work for a Chinese company under the table rather that go to school.

I guess it is possible if a tourist in Thailand is involved in something nefarious the gov't can find them.

• Like 1

-dickyknee- blink.png

Doesn't matter if you think they are stupid laws or not..........It's their laws, take it or leave it.

I'm quite sure you would not like immigrants in your home country telling you all that your laws are stupid so you have to change them.

I'm not criticising your choice, but it seems a shame that you've felt it necessary to pay such a high premium to live here when you will qualify for a non 'O' visa within a year, and especially if the decision is prompted by unnecessary concerns about immigration.

There is no limit to the number of Tourist visas you can have. Consulates/Embassies will only deny a new tourist visa if the applicant can't, if necessary, supply evidence that they can support their stay, and someone with 500k to hand would not be denied. If you did get denied, as long as you are a national form a country allowed visa exempt entry, you could enter even if denied a tourist visa.

Someone can only be denied entry at an airport if they are excluded under section 12 of the immigration act. You cannot be denied for having x number of tourist visas. Assuming you are not excluded you would not be denied. If you are excluded under section 12 you would be denied entry even if holding a TE visa.

Do they care if you're clearly living in Thailand full time and clearly intend to use the 5 year visa to live in Thailand full time?

My impression is their target market is jet setters who just travel to Thailand a lot. Of course it's not an important distinction unless they screen out those using it to live in Thailand.

Which is really what I'm asking.

Edited by Jingthing

Do they care if you're clearly living in Thailand full time and clearly intend to use the 5 year visa to live in Thailand full time?

My impression is their target market is jet setters who just travel to Thailand a lot. Of course it's not an important distinction unless they screen out those using it to live in Thailand.

the visa allows an uninterrupted stay in Thailand for 5 years. They don't screen people out if that's what they intend to do with it.
  • Like 1

What is without real reason, can be questioned. Wherever that is. Whatever that is.smile.png

Thais seem to look down on Cambodia,

but the Cambodian Immigration and Visa laws are much more easy

and convenient, also some have higher costs.

Important, all the money runs in the pockets of the Cambodian Authorities.

With the Visa runs and border runs,

Thai Immigration laws require, the Thai neighboring countries win a good part

of the revenue of that Thai - Visa-travelling.rolleyes.gif

the logic behind some of the Thai ways perplexes me sometimes too.

The 90 day report is there as a way to keep track of foreigners, there is reason, effective or not is another matter.

I don't think they are going to have a sitting of parliament to debate the 90 reports purely because it's a nuisance to foreigners. Especially in the current political environment.

• Like 1

I believe they don't care if you live here full time or not.

I am 90% of the year in Thailand, since 12 years, on such Thailand Elite visas.

The rest of the time I have to make regular short trips abroad, so I also have quite a number of stamps in my passport.

The aim of Thailand Elite is in fact to attract wealthy foreigners and make their visit as easy as possible, so that they stay longer and spend their money in Thailand. The longer you stay, the better it is.

The membership itself allows you to actually stay 20 years in the country without ever leaving (the full membership).

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

We don't need to show our faces which, IMO, is the why the procedure is idiotic.

Reporting in person, passport in hand and with proof of your current address makes sense.

Being required to report an address, already known to immigration, every ninety days, when it can be done by a proxy, by post or online is a waste of time for all concerned.

But as said by others, there's nothing we can do about it. And given the reporting options it really isn't a big deal.