New Thai(Elite)Visa ! 5 Year PE Visa !

What would happen if PE visa holders didn't bother doing 90-day reports and only left the country once a year to get another year's permission to stay?

Are there any reports of PE visa holders / Thai Elite members getting fined for not doing their 90-day reports?

Why would you do such a thing?

Just to break the rule?

Because a 4-hour round trip in the car + petrol cost seems pointless and less than the fine. All this in addition to the queueing and hassle in the immigration office itself.

You didn't answer the question by the way. wink.png

I can't answer your question because I don't believe that any Thailand Elite member would think about intentionally skipping the 90 day reporting. Certainly since it can be done online.

However, what I can tell you is that one of my Thailand Elite friend forgot about his 90 day report, and thus went to make his report late by about two weeks. He was fined 1 or 2000 bath... But with a smile (he said).

Of course, if the petrol cost is also a concern to you, then Thailand Elite may not be suitable for your situation.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Yes, it's worth less to me because I have another option that costs a lot less.

If I didn't have that other option, the current price would seem more reasonable and I would probably pay it assuming I wanted to live in Thailand for 5 years.

Actually as I said before for me, it's worth even less than 250K for 5 years. But I thought the idea of 50 percent off for over 50 was kind of catchy and I WOULD more seriously consider it at that price.

I understand your reasoning.

250,000 baht would make the offer attractive to more people.

150,000 bath even more.

75,000 bath much much more.

25,000 bath would attract most types of people.

9990 bath would please the very vast majority.

500 bath would allow Thailand Elite to reach 99% of all foreigners.

But... 1 million (for 5 years) would still attract new members.

2 million with even better perks would still be attractive to some.

It's a never ending discussion.

In my opinion, the price is right at the moment.

But I would still introduce a "One Year easy visa", with no additional perks for 100,000... I believe that quite a number of people would go for that one.

Edited by gerry1011

It is not even equivalent cost of 1 business class flight back to UK per year. And it is 6 years if you get a stamp for a year at the end of your fifth year.

Those over 50 or married need to stop trolling, or those eking out an existence in the LOS - this is for people under 50 and not married!

For people in the Oil and Gas game it is peanuts - less that 2 days rates per year.

I would imagine you get treated better and don't have to bother with immigration.

I am seriously considering this.

You're right that it can give you 6 years.

Many Oil and Gas workers can enter for free as often as they want and can stay for 30 days each time. Anyone that wants to fast track immigration can buy it. I believe the going rate is 850 Baht. Assuming a 4/4 rotation thats 6 fast track entries per year for 6 years totalling 30,600 leaving 469,400 of their hard earned wedge to spend on limos, ladies that don't act like ladies, girlfriends, beer etc.

I get the convenience, but I don't see the value especially for regular visitors that have short stays (60 days or less) and qualify for visa exemption.

People should stop seeing immigration as the enemy. As long as your reason for entry is legitimate, you meet entry requirements, and you can finance your stay you will never have a problem being admitted.

It is not even equivalent cost of 1 business class flight back to UK per year. And it is 6 years if you get a stamp for a year at the end of your fifth year.

Those over 50 or married need to stop trolling, or those eking out an existence in the LOS - this is for people under 50 and not married!

For people in the Oil and Gas game it is peanuts - less that 2 days rates per year.

I would imagine you get treated better and don't have to bother with immigration.

You're right that it can give you 6 years.

Many Oil and Gas workers can enter for free as often as they want and can stay for 30 days each time. Anyone that wants to fast track immigration can buy it. I believe the going rate is 850 Baht. Assuming a 4/4 rotation thats 6 fast track entries per year for 6 years totalling 30,600 leaving 469,400 of their hard earned wedge to spend on limos, ladies that don't act like ladies, girlfriends, beer etc.

I get the convenience, but I don't see the value especially for regular visitors that have short stays (60 days or less) and qualify for visa exemption.

People should stop seeing immigration as the enemy. As long as your reason for entry is legitimate, you meet entry requirements, and you can finance your stay you will never have a problem being admitted.

Hmm yes and no. There's been reporters of those exact people having issues. Technically, if they are working offshore and then coming back here when not working (ie too live), then they are not a tourist, but in fact returning to their place of residence (or home) and immigration can at their discretion decide you are no longer a tourist and give you trouble, hassle, headaches. Every country is the same and would class this person as a resident, not a tourist.

So depends how much value you place on assurance. For some it's worth it, for other's it's worth it although they can't (yet) afford it (me) and for some who might never afford it they can be bitter.

There's ALWAYS another way. It's all about the value to you (the person getting it). Value is subjective.

• Like 2

If I didn't have that other option, the current price would seem more reasonable and I would probably pay it assuming I wanted to live in Thailand for 5 years.

Actually as I said before for me, it's worth even less than 250K for 5 years. But I thought the idea of 50 percent off for over 50 was kind of catchy and I WOULD more seriously consider it at that price.

150,000 bath even more.

But I would still introduce a "One Year easy visa", with no additional perks for 100,000... I believe that quite a number of people would go for that one.

The pricing psychology is not as basic and simple as you presented.

That makes sense of course lower price, higher volume for any product or service.

But the psychology changes when the consumer has other much less expensive CHOICES.

Seller have more PRICING POWER when there are no cheaper choices.

For example if someone opens an excellent authentic Mexican restaurant in Pattaya which has none, people will will be willing to pay higher prices for that than if there were 50 of them, because then they would need to price compete with each other.

• Like 1

So does this mean that if I have several criminal records back at home but then have enough money to afford an Elite Visa, I could stay in Thailand worry free?

Wow, money does talk !

Probably so unless you have active warrants.

It's not much different than retirement extensions.

No restrictions on criminal records for those either.

It's a good question though.

Does the elite care application ask about criminal record?

So does this mean that if I have several criminal records back at home but then have enough money to afford an Elite Visa, I could stay in Thailand worry free?

Wow, money does talk !

There is a background check done before you are approved.

Not sure what it exactly means though...

I guess that Immigration just checks the same things they usually check for other types of visa.

But once one is approved, one can stay in Thailand worry free, indeed (only till the moment they commit another crime, I guess).

150,000 bath even more.

The pricing psychology is not as basic and simple as you presented.

That makes sense of course lower price, higher volume for any product or service.

But the psychology changes when the consumer has other much less expensive CHOICES.

Seller have more PRICING POWER when there are no cheaper choices.

For example if someone opens an excellent authentic Mexican restaurant in Pattaya which has none, people will will be willing to pay higher prices for that than if there were 50 of them, because then they would need to price compete with each other.

People do have cheaper choices.

ED, tourist, retirement, business, marriage, dependent on whatever, visa runs, overstay, ...

But there is, indeed, no cheap choice for a visa as convenient as the PE visa.

When it come to Thailand Elite, there are two choices already: 2,000,000 and 500,000.

The 500,000 offer is a very smart move from Thailand Elite. It allows people to test their service for a shorter period of time. And, while it is actually not less expensive (per year), it looks already much more affordable than the full membership.

When it come to choice, I personally would keep these two options, but add a 1 year option, as well as a "platinum" option (double the price and added perks).

But if you go cheaper than what it is, then I guess that you aim at a different target group, which may not fit in the quality and convenience that they want to deliver.

Edited by gerry1011

Yes, I'm not expecting them to lower the price.

I still might be in the market if a time comes when there is a reason that retirement extensions aren't working for me.

You know why I think that a 1 year option would be a good idea?

Because I believe that, if there was such an option, someone like you, and all those who still hesitate, would try the Thailand Elite program.

And after you tried, I would be totally convinced that you would sign up for a 5 or 20 years membership.

Edited by gerry1011

Technically, if they are working offshore and then coming back here when not working (ie too live), then they are not a tourist, but in fact returning to their place of residence (or home) and immigration can at their discretion decide you are no longer a tourist and give you trouble, hassle, headaches. Every country is the same and would class this person as a resident, not a tourist.

IO's have no such discretion. They cannot deny entry to someone qualifying for visa exemption that meets the entry requirements. Some regular visitors using visa exemption are being interviewed but only to ascertain that they are not illegally working. If you've got 20k cash, and if necessary an onward flight and proof of job/income from abroad, they cannot legally stop you.

Someone can legally live here on visa exemption/tourist visas. I agree that at some point they cease to become a tourist in the true sense, but there is nothing in Thai law to prevent someone living here indefinitely with a valid permit to stay and the means to support themselves.

Domicile and residence has no bearing on applications for visa exemption or tourist visas, or the number you can have. They only have a bearing on your tax liabilities.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm not expecting them to lower the price.

I still might be in the market if a time comes when there is a reason that retirement extensions aren't working for me.

You know why I think that a 1 year option would be a good idea?

Because I believe that, if there was such an option, someone like you, and all those who still hesitate, would try the Thailand Elite program.

And after you tried, I would be totally convinced that you would sign up for a 5 or 20 years membership.

I've long thought that a one year membership for something between 100-150k Baht would probably do very well and if anyone decides to stay for longer then there's always a membership upgrade.

• Like 2

Wow, money does talk !

You do need to make some kind of declaration about not having been sent to prison for more than a certain amount of time, I can't remember how long it was as it wasn't relevant to me. The point is, this appears to allow membership to anyone unless they've been convicted and sentenced for a serious crime which attracts a significant custodial sentence.

The application form also asks if you've been made bankrupt.

• Like 1

Technically, if they are working offshore and then coming back here when not working (ie too live), then they are not a tourist, but in fact returning to their place of residence (or home) and immigration can at their discretion decide you are no longer a tourist and give you trouble, hassle, headaches. Every country is the same and would class this person as a resident, not a tourist.

IO's have no such discretion. They cannot deny entry to someone qualifying for visa exemption that meets the entry requirements. Some regular visitors using visa exemption are being interviewed but only to ascertain that they are not illegally working. If you've got 20k cash, and if necessary an onward flight and proof of job/income from abroad, they cannot legally stop you.

Someone can legally live here on visa exemption/tourist visas. I agree that at some point they cease to become a tourist in the true sense, but there is nothing in Thai law to prevent someone living here indefinitely with a valid permit to stay and the means to support themselves.

Domicile and residence has no bearing on applications for visa exemption or tourist visas, or the number you can have. They only have a bearing on your tax liabilities.

Of course IO's have discretion. They obviously can't deny you on spot, but they can bring you aside, then a more senior immigration official, after interview, can decide if they should let you enter the country. There is no 'right' to enter a country that you are not a citizen of. To believe that no country has the legal right to deny foreign citizens (aliens) into their country is well...I don't know where you got this from?

That's a grey area. It's regarding intent and purpose of the visa. Someone could apply for successive tourist visas with a short break to Australia (as an example), but Australian immigration would end up denying your application, as you are obviously no longer a tourist and residing majority of the time in Australia. You need to get the right visa.

Just because Thailand currently allows people to do this (ie has a mai pen rai attitude to it), doesn't mean it's legally correct. Unless you have some evidence that shows in Thai law, no alien can be denied entry in Thailand? (Which would be different to every country elsewhere).

this program is totally crazy and useless, for 500K i will pay 5 years home rent in Cambodia or the Philippines and 3 yrs rent in Ecuador or Peru.

I could settle in penang for free with the social visit stamps and rent will be less then 6K a month.

if someone bought a property under his name he s entitled for 5 yrs residency in Portugal, Spain and Malaysia M2H

you could sell back the property if you wish.

only fools will throw money at a blue stamp in passport, reminds me of one company who wanted to sell people lands on the moon clap2.gif .

Edited by marcofunny
  • Like 1

HenryC, I'm impressed. I didn't know people in Oil & Gas were making this kind of money (USD 400,000 a year). I work in the ICT sector and just manage to reach this level. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

this program is totally crazy and useless, for 500K i will pay 5 years home rent in Cambodia or the Philippines and 3 yrs rent in Ecuador or Peru.

I could settle in Penang for free with the social visit stamps and rent will be less then 6K a month.

only fools will throw money at a blue stamp in passport, reminds me of one company who wanted to sell people lands on the moon clap2.gif .

You're wrong.

It's not crazy if you want to stay in Thailand long term and you don't have another convenient visa option to legally do it.

People have to decide for themselves if the price, which I agree is high, is worth it and affordable to them personally.

Countries aren't interchangeable.

If you want to live in Thailand, policies in Ecuador are not relevant.

• Like 2

I could settle in penang for free with the social visit stamps and rent will be less then 6K a month.

if someone bought a property under his name he s entitled for 5 yrs residency in Portugal, Spain and Malaysia M2H

only fools will throw money at a blue stamp in passport, reminds me of one company who wanted to sell people lands on the moon clap2.gif

coffee1.gif

Well, we certainly don't live in the same world :)

But with your 10 months overstay, followed by your double entry tourist visa, I guess that your intention is not really to go to Penang, Portugal, Cambodia or Peru ;)

I wish you all the best with your super cheap options.

If you don't mind, we will go on with our own chosen options...

I like your funny nickname :)

Oh... And isn't it you who paid an agent something like 65,000 for a tourist visa? I think you wrote that, right? But I am sure you had a good service. Not as good as the service of Thailand Elite though. You should try.

Edited by gerry1011

that's true for the countries you listed I guess. But they are not options if you want to stay in Thailand. The options for under 50 year olds in Thailand that are not working are fairly limited.

I could settle in Penang for free with the social visit stamps and rent will be less then 6K a month.

You're wrong.

It's not crazy if you want to stay in Thailand long term and you don't have another convenient visa option to legally do it.

People have to decide for themselves if the price, which I agree is high, is worth it and affordable to them personally.

Countries aren't interchangeable.

If you want to live in Thailand, policies in Ecuador are not relevant.

I assume this program is tended towards wealthy tourists because businessmen will have their own WP visa, if i was a wealthy tourist why the hell on earth I will leave other luxury destinations in many Caribbean islands and come to Thailand ??? why I will leave Bahamas, St nevis, Cuba, DR why why I must be illiterate ?

dear agent most of the wealthy people wont use this program because they are many alternative places

in the world, thank you I don't want to pay 500k to cope with the jams and walk on drain sewers and stray dogs in the streets and breath very polluted air, clubs closing 2am and everything restricted.

I can name you a dozen of beautiful destinations where approximately 10K a month will pay you large apartment

what s wrong with Cebu, sihanoukville , Bali or langkawi, miri in Borneo??

this program will make sense if it resembles the investment visa program or it allows people to work I think it will receive a lot of attention from many expats, however with its current situation it looks doomed.

Learn from Malaysia MM2H that s how things should be.

Edited by marcofunny

Well I use the 800K in Thai bank retirement extension method.

For me, that money is basically tied up in Thailand as long as I'm in Thailand (maybe for life).

I spend from it and top up annually.

So in a sense parking that much money in a Thai bank (with tiny interest) is a way of spending a lot of money too as I could have used that money for other much more productive purposes.

Of course the money is still owned by me, but have fun exporting that money out of Thailand later if you need to.

So yes, I can see why some retirement extension eligibles might consider this 5 year option as not as expensive as it first appears.

Especially those using the 800K method.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course IO's have discretion. They obviously can't deny you on spot, but they can bring you aside, then a more senior immigration official, after interview, can decide if they should let you enter the country. There is no 'right' to enter a country that you are not a citizen of. To believe that no country has the legal right to deny foreign citizens (aliens) into their country is well...I don't know where you got this from?

That's a grey area. It's regarding intent and purpose of the visa. Someone could apply for successive tourist visas with a short break to Australia (as an example), but Australian immigration would end up denying your application, as you are obviously no longer a tourist and residing majority of the time in Australia. You need to get the right visa.

Just because Thailand currently allows people to do this (ie has a mai pen rai attitude to it), doesn't mean it's legally correct. Unless you have some evidence that shows in Thai law, no alien can be denied entry in Thailand? (Which would be different to every country elsewhere).

A more senior officer can indeed deny entry but only if the Alien is excluded under section 12 of the immigration act or the conditions required by Ministerial regulation.

A country can decide who they let in and who they don't. It's then passed to law! But an IO, senior or otherwise, can't and need a lawful reason to deny entry. As in one of the reasons passed in law. If a country decide to exclude people with ginger hair they can, but an IO can't. IO's don't make law they uphold it!

Nothing grey. There is no limit in law or otherwise that limits the number of tourist visas one can have. And nothing that stipulates how long or how often someone stays in the kingdom before they are no longer considered for a tourist visa. When you apply for a tourist visa the consulate/embassy can deny but they will only do so if the conditions of application can't be met. Some consulates/embassies will limit the number unless the person can prove they have income to support their stay.

"Unless you have some evidence that shows in Thai law, no alien can be denied entry in Thailand?"

Try reading whats written. I never said "no alien can be denied entry". I know a visa does not give the right to entry, but we are talking about the rights of individual IO's and their enforcement of the law. As long as the Alien meets the entry requirements an IO cannot deny entry. If they do the Alien can appeal under section section 22 of the immigration act and the final decision would lay with the Minister in charge of the act.

All the evidence you need is in the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522.

• Like 1

A more senior officer can indeed deny entry but only if the Alien is excluded under section 12 of the immigration act or the conditions required by Ministerial regulation.

A country can decide who they let in and who they don't. It's then passed to law! But an IO, senior or otherwise, can't and need a lawful reason to deny entry. As in one of the reasons passed in law. If a country decide to exclude people with ginger hair they can, but an IO can't. IO's don't make law they uphold it!

Nothing grey. There is no limit in law or otherwise that limits the number of tourist visas one can have. And nothing that stipulates how long or how often someone stays in the kingdom before they are no longer considered for a tourist visa. When you apply for a tourist visa the consulate/embassy can deny but they will only do so if the conditions of application can't be met. Some consulates/embassies will limit the number unless the person can prove they have income to support their stay.

"Unless you have some evidence that shows in Thai law, no alien can be denied entry in Thailand?"

Try reading whats written. I never said "no alien can be denied entry". I know a visa does not give the right to entry, but we are talking about the rights of individual IO's and their enforcement of the law. As long as the Alien meets the entry requirements an IO cannot deny entry. If they do the Alien can appeal under section section 22 of the immigration act and the final decision would lay with the Minister in charge of the act.

All the evidence you need is in the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522.

Great. Thanks for that. Had a good read. It would seem that they could at least use their discretion to detain and interview you *causing annoyance. (section 16).

Weren't there a number of 'crackdowns' on abuse of both tourist visas (for a short time) and especially in-out (and multiple) visa exempt entries many times last year? I specifically remember a significant issues at a Malaysian border (with tourist visas) as well as a number of people being refused entry elsewhere (on both visas and visa exempt entries).

I'm guessing these were ministerial directives and thus allowed under section 14? The Minister shall have power to issue public notice in the Government Gazette requiring the alien entering into the Kingdom to have with either money or bond , or shall have power to order an exemption under any condition.

Strangely it also seems (after some further reading), prior to 2008 you could only stay 90 days out of every 180 days, but this was suspended (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf).

So where is the legal basis from the ongoing (inconsistent) crackdowns? It would seem, that even if the act and amended act actually allows continuous stay (no limit), there are people who are turned away/refused entry.

So again...this elite visa may be costly to some, however, what's the price of not having to deal with inconsistent enforcement of the immigration act (or random ministerial directives under section 14)?

immigration, clearly have no desire to annoy people spending 500k on a visa, as seen by the many positive posts of people with it. The only ones who talk about it not being good value, seem to be the people who can't afford it (which for now is me as well, although I'm not against it).

• Like 1