New Thai(Elite)Visa ! 5 Year PE Visa !

Why in the newsletter? It has been like this for years

clearly a huge commission cut.

have you not noticed how bad the forum and "new" emails are getting everyday for ads and promotions and junk?

they are slowly ruining the site trying to earn every baht possible

Technically, if they are working offshore and then coming back here when not working (ie too live), then they are not a tourist, but in fact returning to their place of residence (or home) and immigration can at their discretion decide you are no longer a tourist and give you trouble, hassle, headaches. Every country is the same and would class this person as a resident, not a tourist.

IO's have no such discretion. They cannot deny entry to someone qualifying for visa exemption that meets the entry requirements. Some regular visitors using visa exemption are being interviewed but only to ascertain that they are not illegally working. If you've got 20k cash, and if necessary an onward flight and proof of job/income from abroad, they cannot legally stop you.

Someone can legally live here on visa exemption/tourist visas. I agree that at some point they cease to become a tourist in the true sense, but there is nothing in Thai law to prevent someone living here indefinitely with a valid permit to stay and the means to support themselves.

Domicile and residence has no bearing on applications for visa exemption or tourist visas, or the number you can have. They only have a bearing on your tax liabilities.

Would that it were so.

Unfortunately, it's naive to think that it actually works that way. Witness the varying requirements from province to province, and the caprice with which they are applied. The key word in your post is 'legally'. 'Legally', the cost of a letter of residence is exactly zero baht, for example. But people pay 250, 500 and more for this simple document routinely, depending on Immigration office location.

And IOs jerk people around more or less at will at provincial offices.

The big attraction of the Thai Elite visa is bypassing all the little six-inch King Kongs who wear the Immigration Police uniform, and the uncertainty that goes with the process...

Who cares if they make a commission?

Are we communists here or something?

If so, you're in the wrong country.

It was a question, asked and answered. I didn't note any moral judgment, or objection, other than a swipe at how many ads there are on each page. Adblock takes care of most of them, if you like...

George has a right to monetize his site to whatever extent the traffic will bear. Probably good to bear in mind what this site is and isn't. It isn't a 'free speech' portal, and it IS a cash cow for a pretty clever guy...

• Like 1

Great. Thanks for that. Had a good read. It would seem that they could at least use their discretion to detain and interview you *causing annoyance. (section 16).

Weren't there a number of 'crackdowns' on abuse of both tourist visas (for a short time) and especially in-out (and multiple) visa exempt entries many times last year? I specifically remember a significant issues at a Malaysian border (with tourist visas) as well as a number of people being refused entry elsewhere (on both visas and visa exempt entries).

I'm guessing these were ministerial directives and thus allowed under section 14? The Minister shall have power to issue public notice in the Government Gazette requiring the alien entering into the Kingdom to have with either money or bond , or shall have power to order an exemption under any condition.

Strangely it also seems (after some further reading), prior to 2008 you could only stay 90 days out of every 180 days, but this was suspended (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf).

So where is the legal basis from the ongoing (inconsistent) crackdowns? It would seem, that even if the act and amended act actually allows continuous stay (no limit), there are people who are turned away/refused entry.

So again...this elite visa may be costly to some, however, what's the price of not having to deal with inconsistent enforcement of the immigration act (or random ministerial directives under section 14)?

immigration, clearly have no desire to annoy people spending 500k on a visa, as seen by the many positive posts of people with it. The only ones who talk about it not being good value, seem to be the people who can't afford it (which for now is me as well, although I'm not against it).

Your welcome. Yes IO's have discretion to interview anyone, even Elite visa holders, about their activity in Thailand and I suppose cause annoyance.

The problem is not with people having multiple tourist visas or visa exempt entries but the abuse of both by illegal workers. At the moment the immigration system is flagging people with 6+ visa exempt entries. Not because they've got 6+ entries but because it could be an indication of someone working. People have been stopped from entering at various land borders but in most cases I doubt the IO followed the proper procedure. I haven't read of anyone being denied at airports but IO's have reportedly made untrue claims about the need for having a tourist visa or the 90/180 rule. Denying entry at an airport is a huge deal and the IO would have to fully back up the reason for exclusion. The reports I've read of denial at land borders were told to go and get tourist visas before re-entering.

The 90/180 day rule was brought in around 2006/07 and was also an attempt to catch and make life harder for illegal workers. As was the reduction to 14 days for land entries. The 90/180 day rule was eventually dropped although it still appears on some websites as current. Rules like this can be introduced by ministerial regulations and don't need law changes. Prior to 06/07 you could live here, exit the country every 30 days and turn around and be given a further 30 day stay with no questions asked. So illegal workers utilised this freedom. immigration decided to try and push people to get visas so they could control things better. ED visas have also been targeted because they too were used by illegal workers. Agents have for years arranged ED visas for people that have never set foot in a classroom.

As said IO's can stop and interview anyone. There flagging system doesn't require law its just a mechanism to help the IO. Being flagged does not allow an IO to deny entry unless during the interview they discover the person is excluded.

I completely agree with the convenience the Elite visa offers. But for legitimate people they have nothing to worry about so I think someone would be bonkers to pay out 500k just because they might be stopped and interviewed. It's better to gain an understanding of the rules and be armed with everything an IO would need to satisfy his enquiry. I'm sure elite visa holders pass through easily, but as I posted earlier, fast track entry is available for 850 baht to anyone prepared to pay, and although I've never used it, I believe you sail through just as easily.

It's not just about being affordable. I see the convenience for some but for Oil workers, which prompted our discussion, I don't. Especially if their reason is unwarranted fear of being denied based on scaremongering on forums.

• Like 2

I'm missing the NOT being married to a Thai claus. What does that have to do with anything? It's ok if you don't have a job, just don't be married to a Thai. Hahaha

It says OR, meaning, if you ARE married to a Thai, you can get a Non-O reasonably easily for visiting your wife/husband.

so what is new about it?

At some point in the past (18 months or so I think) this 5 year option didn't exist, the only option back then was the 20 year membership.

Way before that I believe a lifetime membership was available for 1 Million Baht.

• Like 1

$2900 per year to live here on a semi-permanent basis when 99% of expats don't pay any income tax - biggest bargain of all time! What would your tax bill be back home?

1- $2900 ? Why bring a foreign currency in this discussion ? To force most members to make conversions ? sad.png

2- I doubt a lot about this 99%! Many expats still have to pay income tax in their home country. In my case I would have to prove I pay taxes in Thailand to not have to pay them in my country.

Is this legit? I had no idea one could get a 5-year visa, especially if you're not working, married to Thai citizen, or retired.

If it is indeed possible to obtain such a visa, is it really 500,000 baht for 5 years? That seems outrageously expensive for what the ad says it offers. I can get a one-year visa for $200US (approximately 6,600 baht). Am I missing something in the translation?

Furthermore, is it even worth it for me to look into such a visa if I'm turning 50 next August? [note: if it really is 500,000 baht, the point is moot -- I'm not spending that kind of money on a visa unless it comes with some great perks I'm unaware of. "Fast Track" at the airport and "airport limo" are not what I consider worthwhile perks.]

But as mentioned several times in the other thread you are very lucky to have got a 1 year non-O as most countries/consulates/embassies will not issue them unless you meet the qualifying criteria. Nothing wrong with being lucky but for most others unmarried under 50 the PE is a good albeit pricey option.

Are you saying there is a visa that is only issued in the US?

I paid about the same price for tuition at a Thai university and ended up with a bachelor's and master's degree. I still did 90 day reports and 1 year visas but I think that it's worth it. Whatever a person thinks gives their life value is how you should judge the Thai Elite Card. For me, education was important and I needed the education visa. For others, their free time to do what they want may be important so they get the Elite Card.

• Like 2

Is this legit? I had no idea one could get a 5-year visa, especially if you're not working, married to Thai citizen, or retired.

If it is indeed possible to obtain such a visa, is it really 500,000 baht for 5 years? That seems outrageously expensive for what the ad says it offers. I can get a one-year visa for $200US (approximately 6,600 baht). Am I missing something in the translation?

Furthermore, is it even worth it for me to look into such a visa if I'm turning 50 next August? [note: if it really is 500,000 baht, the point is moot -- I'm not spending that kind of money on a visa unless it comes with some great perks I'm unaware of. "Fast Track" at the airport and "airport limo" are not what I consider worthwhile perks.]

It's under something called Thailand elite ... They have a page on FB

It's under something called Thailand elite ... They have a page on FB

On Facebook, search for Thailand Elite Members.

It is not even equivalent cost of 1 business class flight back to UK per year. And it is 6 years if you get a stamp for a year at the end of your fifth year.

Those over 50 or married need to stop trolling, or those eking out an existence in the LOS - this is for people under 50 and not married!

For people in the Oil and Gas game it is peanuts - less that 2 days rates per year.

I would imagine you get treated better and don't have to bother with immigration.

I am seriously considering this.

You're right that it can give you 6 years.

Many Oil and Gas workers can enter for free as often as they want and can stay for 30 days each time. Anyone that wants to fast track immigration can buy it. I believe the going rate is 850 Baht. Assuming a 4/4 rotation thats 6 fast track entries per year for 6 years totalling 30,600 leaving 469,400 of their hard earned wedge to spend on limos, ladies that don't act like ladies, girlfriends, beer etc.

I get the convenience, but I don't see the value especially for regular visitors that have short stays (60 days or less) and qualify for visa exemption.

People should stop seeing immigration as the enemy. As long as your reason for entry is legitimate, you meet entry requirements, and you can finance your stay you will never have a problem being admitted.

Hmm yes and no. There's been reporters of those exact people having issues. Technically, if they are working offshore and then coming back here when not working (ie too live), then they are not a tourist, but in fact returning to their place of residence (or home) and immigration can at their discretion decide you are no longer a tourist and give you trouble, hassle, headaches. Every country is the same and would class this person as a resident, not a tourist.

So depends how much value you place on assurance. For some it's worth it, for other's it's worth it although they can't (yet) afford it (me) and for some who might never afford it they can be bitter.

There's ALWAYS another way. It's all about the value to you (the person getting it). Value is subjective.

If they are spending less than 180 p.a. in Thailand they are not a resident in Thailand

180 day rule for non PR and Non citizens is common in many countries

• Like 1

Immigration here in Chiang Rai has been a blessing.

Nice friendly treatment and the longest I have ever been there was about 30 minutes. (One anomaly- Once I had to go back again to pick up my extension because the person who has to OK everything had not yet arrived.)

So if one doesn't live a long way from an immigration office and the office is well run and friendly... aside from going through the airport faster and maybe a ride to the airport and back in some cities, I still don't get the benefit vs. the price.

Immigration here in Chiang Rai has been a blessing.

Nice friendly treatment and the longest I have ever been there was about 30 minutes. (One anomaly- Once I had to go back again to pick up my extension because the person who has to OK everything had not yet arrived.)

So if one doesn't live a long way from an immigration office and the office is well run and friendly... aside from going through the airport faster and maybe a ride to the airport and back in some cities, I still don't get the benefit vs. the price.

Some Thailand Elite members who live in Chiangrai may see benefits that you don't see ;)

i am a elite card member under 50 and not married the 500.000 is the same amount i would spend on visa runs for 5 years (i dont do mini buses) basically i paid my visa runs upfront its not alot of money if you have it

The only issue I have with the TE program is the inherent unreliability and unpredictability of the Thai government and all its various parts, including by extention the TE program.

There's a well-advised saying for farangs in Thailand: never pay in advance for a product you've yet to receive. For me, that advice applies in the case of the TE program.

If TE has provided a visa for those who have purchased it in past years up to this point, that's great. Glad it worked out.

But, along the way, the TE program was headed toward being shut down at one point under one government, their offices were barely staffed and there was talk about people potentially having to file lawsuits to get refunds. In the end, it didn't come to that., as the government once again reversed its course.

But, it just goes to show the inherent unpredictability of government policies and programs here, with new governments and new ministers coming in every year or two, each with their own ideas of how things ought to be. And the most recent news reporting on TE in the BKK Post showed that it's still a financially troubled program that's not meeting its revenue targets.

So, if someone who's not eligible for a retirement or marriage extension of stay wants to plunk down 500,000 baht to in essence buy a promised 5-year visa, more power to them. But at least, go into it being an informed consumer and be aware of whom you're dealing with, and what's occurred with the program since its inception.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So, if someone who's not eligible for a retirement or marriage extension of stay wants to plunk down 500,000 baht to in essence buy a promised 5-year visa, more power to them. But at least, go into it being an informed consumer and be aware of whom you're dealing with, and what's occurred with the program since its inception.

With the 5 year membership you get the visa immediately, what more is there to say ? You don't need to worry about the future, It's in the passport and ready to use.

• Like 1

With the 5 year membership you get the visa immediately, what more is there to say ? You don't need to worry about the future, It's in the passport and ready to use.

Unless they were to decide to change the rules or cancel the program, at some point in the future.

Since when has Thai Immigration had any difficulty in changing their rules or even not changing their official rules but adopting different procedures ad hoc.

Also, my understanding was, what they're giving people is renewable 1 year stays, that can be renewed annually under the program for its 5 year duration.

Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.

Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.

*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Personally I wouldn't worry at all about a purchased 5 year visa being rescinded.

That said, I was kind of shocked to hear a case in another country where something even worse DID happen.

Colombia used to offer residency for LIFE visas.

Then they changed their minds and those LIFETIME visas were changed to something like 5 years.

So anything is possible. But likely in this case, I think not.

That was my point. These are government policies, and governments, especially Thailand, have varying tendencies to change course.

It really comes down to do you want to trust them with your 500,000 baht. That's a choice each person can make for themselves.

There is a risk with everything.

There are those who hesitate, and those who go for it.

Some decided to become member years ago. 12 years for the early members.

The early members enjoyed, still enjoy, and will enjoy, years of privileged long term visa, while others still hesitate.

Early members even got a much better deal, when it comes down to the fee itself.

Nowadays, 500,000 or 2,000,000 baht represents a different value to different people.

What I can say is that the peace of mind that a PE visa provides is priceless.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

I don't think for one minute that these visas will be revoked. However, a visa does not give the right to enter even if it's already in the passport.

I doubt anyone that can afford this visa will worry too much if it is taken away. I'd say the worst that could happen is Thailand elite goes broke and all the "privileges" get withdrawn. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about the visa not being honoured. If that were the case we'd all be in trouble!

• Like 2

I did my first one year extention on the PE visa today. It went so well. I was in and out of Nakhon Sawan office in less than 15 minutes. I love it and worth every penny. Reading the concerns here have to remember this scheme has been going since 2003 and not one visa has been cancelled. The breakdown of the costs where less than what we were paying in council tax alone in the UK. No brainer. To be in a country I love. I would reccomened it to anyone.

• Like 2

There's always going to be haters and people bleeting on about the price but 'hey' I could drive a Toyota but I prefer a Benz.... It's the way I role!! ha ha... It's our money, our risk against reward / service and to be totally honest if I lost a portion of the expense I paid for the visa due to any unforseen circumstances it really wouldn't affect me or most others I would guess..

• Like 2